Sign in to follow this  
garebearpcb

home phones, cell phones, and phonebooks

Phones!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should home phones, cell phones, and phonebooks be put into dayz?

Hey guys i gotta pretty cool suggestion.

HOME PHONES

home phones can be found in usually in 3 or 4 houses in a city and an occasional one in some country sides. They have there own number written down under the phone so you can tell others your number. all numbers will start with 555 for legal reasons and so there will be fewer numbers to randomly type in. when you call a working number. the phone you are calling will make a really loud ringing noise that can be heard from 100 yds away, it get louder when you get closer. zombies will not be attracted to it. thatd be stupid xD. you can answer and talk to someone on the whole other side of the map!

PHONEBOOKS

Phone books will be as rare as finding a map of chenarus. they will contain ONLY house phone numbers in a certain region. (EX: there will be a SE Phonebook and a NW phone book, just like maps) the numbers will be listed along with the city it's in. HOME PHONE, numbers change on server reset so no one can write them down ;).

CELL PHONES

Cell phones will have a loot rarity of a medkit. they usually will have 3 contacts with numbers randomly around the map. if you click on the contact info, it will say a random russian name and his address which includes the city. you can add contacts and when you call a phone it does the same effects as the home phone. you can also text numbers. these phones arent smartphones. they will be simple flip phones.

okay guys thats my idea. vote in the poll and comment if you agree! also the more likes, the more likely the devs will see it!

Didn't Dean say Radio things going to be 1 way to hack/listen to other players when it get fixed?

No electricity, no phone network (land line or cell phone).  I don't really see a point to this anyway.  I mean you could maybe do a couple 'fun' things with it (Find a cellphone, find the number to a payphone, set up on a hill with a rifle and call the number every time someone passes by and snipe them when they answer) but it'd be a bit of work for minimum reward.  Think the radios as they want them to be would be the better thing to work on.

• Like 1

No electricity, no phone network (land line or cell phone).  I don't really see a point to this anyway.  I mean you could maybe do a couple 'fun' things with it (Find a cellphone, find the number to a payphone, set up on a hill with a rifle and call the number every time someone passes by and snipe them when they answer) but it'd be a bit of work for minimum reward.  Think the radios as they want them to be would be the better thing to work on.

Hopefully radios can be left on and you can chuck em on the ground.

Say, "hey dipshit in the tower" to the guy that hid in the firestation.

"Yeah you in the firestation" then you can help him out by cleaning up all the zombies if he sounds like a nice guy.

Reminds me a of certain TV series.

But cellphones are unlikely as they have to be recharged- no power grid.

Landline- no power grid and lots of phonelines might be ruined anyway.

Battery powered radios are the only sensible option.

^however things like a random phonebook as an easter egg might be interesting.

Edited by AP_Norris

Phones aren't usable in a no electricity post appocalyptic world.  Only type of long distance communication that would be useable is battery/generator/handcrank powered short wave radios.

But cellphones are unlikely as they have to be recharged- no power grid.

Landline- no power grid and lots of phonelines might be ruined anyway.

Battery powered radios are the only sensible option.

Cellphone networks are local, meaning there's a transmission tower somewhere that has to be powered.  So even if you had an alternate means of charging your phone battery it would be no network.

Most land based phone companies are required to transmit power through their phone lines to power phones.  Even if power and phone lines were untouched post Z Day there'd still be no power to power the phones in any capacity.

I would like to know about those lights I keep seeing above train stations and barns.

Are they solar powered? Or are they just a bug.

I'd say a bug more than likely, though it's possible they're solar powered with a battery backup or something.