Sign in to follow this  
Space Milk

Changing death

These days, when you die, it instantly goes black screen.

I think, to add immersion, when you die, you go to 1st person (if you aren't already) and you watch from your eyes for a few seconds. Noise is slowly blocking out and fading, and your vision slowly blurs and just goes away from you, like getting farther away, tunnel vision. When the tunnel vision then fully blocks out the screen, it says you are dead.

• Like 13

Would like both really, if you get an aggressive head wound I would imagine it would be lights out almost immediately, such as it is currently.

However other deaths would suit a more gradual transition like you said. I imagine they will be added once they start to focus on more aesthetic aspects to the game.

Edited by IcyBlade
  • Like 3

I like these ideas alot... the other trouble in my opinion is the interaction with a character who is unconscious... passed out... w/e  I'm sure this is a fix in the works... but as of now their body can just skidd around on the map or disappear even though they didnt die.  Bug stuff to work out... but it would be better if there was some recognizable difference between someone who is dead and someone who is unconscious.

I like these ideas alot... the other trouble in my opinion is the interaction with a character who is unconscious... passed out... w/e  I'm sure this is a fix in the works... but as of now their body can just skidd around on the map or disappear even though they didnt die.  Bug stuff to work out... but it would be better if there was some recognizable difference between someone who is dead and someone who is unconscious.

I will say this with no evidence, but I would imagine unconsciousness is just like death, except you come back.

You ever see someone, on TV, radio, or just some show, who went unconscious and said "Is this heaven?"

With this in mind the only difference would be the message that appears after tunnel vision takes over. Not like people will quit immediately after the animation starts. Maybe, unconsciousness takes longer, OR the difference would be that while the animation is going, you can hear your heartbeats and breathing. With unconsciousness, the difference would be you hear yourself continue breathing and your heart beat. With death, you stop hearing it after the tunnel vision takes most of the screen.

I think, to add immersion, when you die, you go to 1st person (if you aren't already) and you watch from your eyes for a few seconds. Noise is slowly blocking out and fading, and your vision slowly blurs and just goes away from you, like getting farther away, tunnel vision. When the tunnel vision then fully blocks out the screen, it says you are dead.

Reminds me of terminator II ending. Good idea though. +  :beans:

Edited by sYs

Also i am really in favor of a death cooldown... And for a no pansies game like this it should be at least five or ten min, across all servers to add tension and penalty to death.

Yes. I was thinking the same.

They added the instant blackscreen so people couldnt tell what they died from anymore.

IMO it should be a bit more...can I say "cooler"? more cinematic maybe :D

it should be different each time you die from something. (you get smacked in the head with a bat, you go to the ground and you black out)

But if you get shot in the head it should be really really fast.

Belly shots etc that would kill you instantly with that blackscreen (fatal hits) should let you a few seconds suffer on the ground in 1st person so its a bit more touching.

• Like 1

I like this idea a lot. Dying from blood loss, for example, could mean that the screen goes grey and fuzzy as it does now, camera movement becomes sluggish and delayed with your character eventually collapsing to the ground (camera switches to first person at this point) and the vision/sound fades out as suggested.

Being knocked unconscious could be represented [for the unconscious player] by a black screen with any sounds being muffled and distant sounding. The sounds and vision could then slowly return if the player regains consciousness (i.e. after being hit in the head).

Edited by Monkfish

what if you've had your brains blown out by a 7.62?

Lights go out.

Indeed. Getting headshot and dying would be instant lights out. What Space Milk is suggesting is that unconsciousness isn't also an instantaneous thing and happens a little slower.

• Like 1

Would like both really, if you get an aggressive head wound I would imagine it would be lights out almost immediately, such as it is currently.

However other deaths would suit a more gradual transition like you said. I imagine they will be added once they start to focus on more antithetical aspects to the game.

This post gets it.