Spesago

Identifying other players

One thing that bugs me is not being able to tell who is who.

If nametags are added it causes problems with people not being able to hide propperly.

without them the only identification is what a person is wearing, while this is ok if everyone looks different it causes problems when people have similar gear. or if someone finds a different coloured top and trousers while you are not looking

so i suggest 2 possible solutions.

1) facepaint/hat/helmet decal

Not the best solution but it would allow for a certain level of recognisability, however it would be seriously abused by some people adding obscene images.

2) name tags (worn)

have each top have a nametag on front and back with player name on, this is an issue at any range over a few meters though.

3)nametags (floating over head)

If these are used they cant be always on, but what if they added an "inspect" key, if you press the key while the dead center of your crosshairs is over a player it shows their nametag for a few seconds, it means people cant scan treelines to look for snipers it can also be expanded to let you see item names and condition at a distance.

and to people that say it isnt realistic, well if it were real people would be able to recognize the face of people and while you might not know who they were you would recognize them if you saw them again.

• Like 3

That's part of the game - with more items being added players can choose to use a specific identifiable item to help identify with friends in a group (For example, all players wear the Wolf Payday mask).

Floating name tags just totally ruin the game, they remove any real tactical ability making the game just another crappy shootfest.

Sort of pointless trying to hide if the player can sit 400m away and just hover over your general area to get a big "Spesago" above their your head, don't you think?

Best way will be the ability to modify existing items to suit the situation (i.e. Add a large orange patch to your bag or spray-paint your helmet blue), in-game methods are always preferable to external methods.

• Like 3

Sort of pointless trying to hide if the player can sit 400m away and just hover over your general area to get a big "Spesago" above their your head, don't you think?

thats the very reason i suggested limiting the nametag to needing the crosshair perfectly over the player and then pressing the key, possibly limit its use to 1 time per 2 seconds. it makes scanning using the feature all but impossible but will identify someone you can see

I don't approve of any tags of that nature. In the real world you can still choose to say your real name or stay silent. It's you choice afterall....

But I would love the idea of wearable dog tags. For example you could find them and stack them in your backpack or right on your neck.

It could work like this:

-find your dog tags (blank)

-once you got them you would need to find something to engrave them with

-depending on the item you engrave them with and the quality of both items (dogtag and engarving tool) would define the amount you could read off them (for example damaged items would only allow to read evey 3-4th letter on the dog tag after clicking inspect on them)

I see this as a great way to identify a dead survivor. Friend or foe. In the end, a dedicated bandit could collect them as his trophys.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before because the search engine didn't give me any decent results.

I would imagine a more in depth char creation tool would be a good way, you would recognise your buddy but not at distance (for the irl brigade).

The ability to form a collective in game would be nice so that people in your collective showed up on screen highlighted in some way (tag, all clothing has a patch/patches or the body changes colour you get the gist) would be good, would make for some great hero v bandit battles without the risk of blue on blue.

Just a thought

People, floating nametags! That's the only way. If u greet someone, (1 hand up) and they respond in kind, whenever u have them dead-center in your crosshair from then on, the name appears untill either one dies, in which case the system resets. Pressing a recognition key, while the player is centered in your view, is also a good idea.

For those who claim loss of immersion, there are so many other things to complain on this issue, nametags is minor. The only valid reason someone does not want their name to appear is so that nobody knows what a dick they can be :p

considering the usual equipment everybody in this game seems to try to wear, lets take a look at "real life" conditions..:

VSwd6HT.jpg

can you tell me which of the persons in the picture is the glasswearing ginger, and which is the rastafari?

seriously though, the clothing system already makes a good promise of high diversity. if you have similarly clothed people, friendly fire will occur, as expected. i dont think we should take this - very real - element out of the game. it would "dumb it down".

• Like 14

I like the idea of adding identifying friends with items, but I'd say try to keep them dual purpose. Spray paint or a bag color or something like that is cool. You have to be careful there though because you can easily ruin the hardcore nature of the game that must be protected. Floating nametags or really even showing a name at all without killing someone should never even grace this game in any fashion in my opinion. It would just take away too much.

• Like 2

Easy, it's the colonel! The rastafaries are the three lieutenants :)

• Like 1

I would love to see scarves that you could wear around face or around biceps.

Also they could introduce findable dyes, with whom you could dye those scarves, to make it sorts of signature.

Now, folks in top gear have just full TTsKO clothing, gas mask, ballistics helmet, UK tac vest and mostly hunting backpack.

Really not easy to distinquish themselves.

• Like 3

I would love to see scarves that you could wear around face or around biceps.

Also they could introduce findable dyes, with whom you could dye those scarves, to make it sorts of signature.

Now, folks in top gear have just full TTsKO clothing, gas mask, ballistics helmet, UK tac vest and mostly hunting backpack.

Really not easy to distinquish themselves.

I was gonna say the same thing. Maybe tearing up shirts to make coloured rags which can be bound to biceps, legs or as bandanas.

• Like 2

I was gonna say the same thing. Maybe tearing up shirts to make coloured rags which can be bound to biceps, legs or as bandanas.

thuglife

• Like 1

How about just something like, when close range menu for like "ask name" and then opposing player can agree to tell it or not... like blood  baging etc etc.

Edited by Zeppa

Place your reticule over someone, when it's over someone, their name comes up. When the reticule is moved, it fades and disappears. Limit the distance to say, around 30m (100ft). It's simple, not overcomplicated, I've seen it done this way before and it works well.

That's one of the suggestions I posted in this thread on Squad Identification.

In addition to patches, and military facepaint like this dude:

camo2.jpg

Place your reticule over someone, when it's over someone, their name comes up. When the reticule is moved, it fades and disappears. Limit the distance to say, around 30m (100ft). It's simple, not overcomplicated, I've seen it done this way before and it works well.

and thats exactly what i consider gamebreaking. if you see someones backpack and helmet sticking out of the foliage 20 meters ahead, you should not automagically be able to tell who it is. i might be your friend, but it might be a hostile who happens to have found the same kind of backpack and helmet.

its not like we all wear IFF transponders

Edited by e47
  • Like 3

I think it will become easier to identify people as more clothing items are added over time. I don't oppose the idea of crafting bandanas/arm bands from coloured rags though, that would work too.

Name tags would be a total immersion killer for me. I think the only ways you should be able to recognize someone is by clothing (which changes) or by having individual faces.

• Like 2

I would suggest doing what DayZ Epoch had done and allow you to mark friendly players and a small green dot would appear somewhere on your body that only you could see.

• Like 1

Also can TheEnder :)

The dog tag idea has potential too.

considering the usual equipment everybody in this game seems to try to wear, lets take a look at "real life" conditions..:

VSwd6HT.jpg

can you tell me which of the persons in the picture is the glasswearing ginger, and which is the rastafari?

seriously though, the clothing system already makes a good promise of high diversity. if you have similarly clothed people, friendly fire will occur, as expected. i dont think we should take this - very real - element out of the game. it would "dumb it down".

This ones easy, the ginger is the 3rd from the left. Look how sad his soul looks. The rastafi is the 4th from the left, hes obviously trying to use his gas mask as a bong.

Take all your suggestions and consider the fact that rocket wants basically no more HUD elements

Good luck

One thing that bugs me is not being able to tell who is who.

You want to know who that guy was that just killed you?  Try asking them before you get shot next time.