bjarnidk

Why won't you fix the mouse?

Nothing wrong with acceleration, takes 2 mins to get used to (unless you go all angry German kid) and scroll faster and faster, then you will just get more annoyed. CHILL, move the mouse in a controlled fashion, and you will see it responds well. Accel gives this game an identity that others lack, and for me, a better sense of immersion.

Generic mouse input, aka L4D, BF4, would turn this game into just another shooter.....but maybe people have been spoon fed that style by AAA studios for so long, anything different is just dismissed.  

God forbid I want my mouse to only move as far as I moved it? if this game wants to have even remotely decent gun play mouse acceleration needs to go.

God forbid I want my mouse to only move as far as I moved it? if this game wants to have even remotely decent gun play mouse acceleration needs to go.

The mouse move exactly as much as you move it....as long as you stay controlled and dont try BF, epic win, no scope, 360 headshot The gunplay in the mod gave me hundreds of hours of mouse accel fun ;)

• Like 1

The mouse move exactly as much as you move it....as long as you stay controlled and dont try BF, epic win, no scope, 360 headshot The gunplay in the mod gave me hundreds of hours of mouse accel fun ;)

you have no idea how mouse acceleration works...

• Like 2

Rocket himself has said he is doing it intentionally because he hates the players.

Your post might be sarcastic but it is not that far off the mark, Rocket sees gameplay value in manipulating the user's mouse acceleration. This isn't getting fixed.

The faster you try to "accelerate" the "negative" the effect....meaning a quick flick of the wrist over an entire mouse pad will only achieve say 30 degrees of turn. Where a slightly slowwer and more controlled movement can achive much more. i understand perfectly what it is and how it effects the player in-game. Load your dayz right now and try to turn in a slow, controlled mannor (dosent mean 1cm/min or anything) but a fair speed. Then you will see just how responsive it can be.

EDIT - This puts the chance of victory in the hands of the player. Remain calm and move controlled to have no accel effects. Panic and try to spin 180 in .001 of a second and you will fail. IMO thats pretty realistic.

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 2

I would suspect the problem is exactly the opposite meaning that it is you who does not understand how it works or it would be a non-issue for you and something to be cleaned up at a later date. 

It takes all of 3 minutes to get the feel for DayZ SA or Mod after playing other FPS games. If it takes you longer the problem isn't with the game... 

He's actually spot on. If you always move your mouse at the same speed you will notice 0 acceleration. That's how mouse accel works... Different speed = different sensitivity.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with acceleration, takes 2 mins to get used to (unless you go all angry German kid) and scroll faster and faster, then you will just get more annoyed. CHILL, move the mouse in a controlled fashion, and you will see it responds well. Accel gives this game an identity that others lack, and for me, a better sense of immersion.

Generic mouse input, aka L4D, BF4, would turn this game into just another shooter.....but maybe people have been spoon fed that style by AAA studios for so long, anything different is just dismissed.  

I don't know if you noticed but its negative acceleration, the faster you move (logically, in a panic), the slower it goes, the slower you move, the faster it goes, within a range.

I don't see any reason you have to end up with have to end up with BF4 rotation, you can put a cap on speed and its already much faster while holding a weapon.

Eliminating the acceleration should hopefully make going through houses and looking around much more natural.

Edited by Thane

I don't know if you noticed but its negative acceleration, the faster you move (logically, in a panic), the slower it goes, the slower you move, the faster it goes, within a range.

I don't see any reason you have to end up with have to end up with BF4 rotation, you can put a cap on speed and its already much faster while holding a weapon.

Eliminating the acceleration should hopefully make going through houses and looking around much more natural.

The faster you try to "accelerate" the "negative" the effect....meaning a quick flick of the wrist over an entire mouse pad will only achieve say 30 degrees of turn. Where a slightly slowwer and more controlled movement can achive much more. i understand perfectly what it is and how it effects the player in-game. Load your dayz right now and try to turn in a slow, controlled mannor (dosent mean 1cm/min or anything) but a fair speed. Then you will see just how responsive it can be.

EDIT - This puts the chance of victory in the hands of the player. Remain calm and move controlled to have no accel effects. Panic and try to spin 180 in .001 of a second and you will fail. IMO thats pretty realistic.

If you turn at a consistent controlled speed there are hardly any accel effects. Its quite nice when you get the hang of it, just have to remember not to try and "flick" round but more "pan" around :)

The option to disable it should be implimented, no reason not to. 

If someone likes it fine but to force it on the ones who do not like it is wrong.  Twitch shooting is not going to be an issue in this game as its not a competition and the map is so vast as to never learn its inside and outs like a small counterstrike map can be after hundreds of hours ect.

Again, the option needs to be enabled like on almost any other pc game.

The option to disable it should be implimented, no reason not to. 

If someone likes it fine but to force it on the ones who do not like it is wrong.  Twitch shooting is not going to be an issue in this game as its not a competition and the map is so vast as to never learn its inside and outs like a small counterstrike map can be after hundreds of hours ect.

Again, the option needs to be enabled like on almost any other pc game.

Having both options would spark a new debate akin to 1st vs 3rd. Players with no accel would have a distinct advantage over players that used it. You may not like it, but you would get used to it over time....for me it was a short time but maybe more for others. 

Twitch shooting would be an epic problem....ever been in a city on a crowded server? You would run into the market and that guy looking at loot on the floor would e able to swing and shoot you in an unnaturally fast movement. Accel is just another challenge for the player, and an immersive one at that. Tell all those Kos ers that it isnt a competition lol. Theres competition for everything in dayz....loot...cars....even good camp sites. 

Whilst i dont know the SA map like the back of my hand yet (only 18hours played), The mod map i could draw for you in my sleep. Navigate it with absolute certanty (without map), and know pretty much what every building spawned. That came from a mix of hundereds of hours on modand many on Arma 2, game + editor. Trust me after a few weeks Chernarus will start to feel a lot smaller ;) 

then me and a lot of other players can just stop following the project and wish you the best of luck.

It's always funny when people think they speak for a any significant amount of other people.

• Like 1

The negative acceleration should be fixed, but that's it.

The problem is the people complaining about this don't just want the acceleration turned off, they also want the player/crosshair to move as quickly as they can move the mouse. This isn't how it should work. You shouldn't be able to just whip your mouse across your mousepad in order to spin an instant 180 in the game.

play the game for 5 minutes and you dont even notice it anymore... its not even that bad and I feel like a lot of people are whiny little boys about it...

• Like 3

I see lots of mouse threads but never dropped in on one till now, it'll be the last one too, Cyborg RAT5 ftw.

Wtf is supposed to be wrong??

This isn't Quake.

I'll get my coat..

That is the worst mouse in the world. I have no clue how you live with yourself using that shit-on-a-wire mouse

What about Y and X axis going hail-shit storm when moving mouse left to right?

What about different speed when switching to freelook?

What about Y moving slower than X?

This game has the worst mouse behavior 

Edited by Arty

What about Y and X axis going hail-shit storm when moving mouse left to right?

What about different speed when switching to freelook?

What about Y moving slower than X?

This game has the worst mouse behavior 

Iv heard people complaining about the first one but never seen it myself, in hundreds of hours over A2,mod and SA.

Thats completely logical......free look is you turning your neck to look at something. Much easier than turning your whole body.

Last one has never bothered me, but carnt you just play with x/y sensitivity to compensate?

I absolutely resented the mouse acceleration when I first started playing the game. However, when I got used to just chilling out with my movements, the game become more natural to play. I had to learn how to play this game and remind myself I'm not playing Counter Strike or Crysis. 

With other FPS games, the ability to do a 720noscope420swag from across the map can be fun, it tends detach from actual gameplay, immersion and realism. 

Have some beans. 

Edited by Zagdul
  • Like 2

Iv heard people complaining about the first one but never seen it myself, in hundreds of hours over A2,mod and SA.

Thats completely logical......free look is you turning your neck to look at something. Much easier than turning your whole body.

Last one has never bothered me, but carnt you just play with x/y sensitivity to compensate?

If you have never seen it then you must play on low Sensitivity. The higher sensitivity you go the worst it gets.

If it's logical yes, but the game shouldn't have no change your mouse sensitivity to look around. Just keep the same sensitivity and let us look around without the restriction like you do when holding a gun.

I am playing where i have different sensetivity for Y and X axis, but it will never be 1:1 movement. Unless game devs will fix it.

I understand that you can't turn 180 in a quick swipe in Arma, but why do they have to include stupid things like your mouse looking up or down and mouse acceleration when trying to turn.

But I'm afraid that the same problems that were in Arma 2 will end up in SA. Arma 3 on the other hand, has much more toned-down random mouse behavior. So some improvements were made. But still Arma 3 needs a lot of work on mouse and controls to make it feel more fluid.

If SA will have these controls than the game will never feel fluid. Just rusty and clunky.

Edited by Arty

there is no argument about it mouse acceleration is bad for gaming and accuracy control. it accelerates your movements . anything that adds or subtracts from the actual movements you make is bad.

If you have never seen it then you must play on low Sensitivity. The higher sensitivity you go the worst it gets.

If it's logical yes, but the game shouldn't have no change your mouse sensitivity to look around. Just keep the same sensitivity and let us look around without the restriction like you do when holding a gun.

I am playing where i have different sensetivity for Y and X axis, but it will never be 1:1 movement. Unless game devs will fix it.

I understand that you can't turn 180 in a quick swipe in Arma, but why do they have to include stupid things like your mouse looking up or down and mouse acceleration when trying to turn.

But I'm afraid that the same problems that were in Arma 2 will end up in SA. Arma 3 on the other hand, has much more toned-down random mouse behavior. So some improvements were made. But still Arma 3 needs a lot of work on mouse and controls to make it feel more fluid.

If SA will have these controls than the game will never feel fluid. Just rusty and clunky.

Max sense player here...well a tiny tiny bit away from max. 

That to me is "dumming down" the features introduced for a realistic feel. Removing free look and just letting us look round quick with a gun completly removes a layer of immersion. Its much quicker to just turn your head to look at something than face it. This is echoed in the game now....take it away...its just another generic shooter (which seems to be what some people want lol)

This game shouldnt feel fluid imo, its something people are just too used to. Most engines could learn a thing or two from arma. 

there is no argument about it mouse acceleration is bad for gaming and accuracy control. it accelerates your movements . anything that adds or subtracts from the actual movements you make is bad.

Its not bad if it adds to the immersion. And like iv said if you move the mouse "properly" it will accuratly depict what your hand just did. Your accuracy will not be effected except in situations where you attemt to turn too fast. 

Seriously....something that adds a level of skill to shooting...prevents unnatural twitch shooting and rewards keeping your cool. Yet people moan and want it to be like the rest of the fps they play. This is not an fps game...its a mil/survival sim, keep it as a sim!

Edited by Karmaterror

that you cannot spin around like in Counter Strike is one of the "realistic-things" that disturb the gameplay and the fun in my opinion.

but there is another "mouse delay" that happens if you play on high resolution. 

f.e. if i play on 1080p the mouse movement feels very delayed and if i go down to 1600x900 its getting better - damn graphic card getting old :(

that you cannot spin around like in Counter Strike is one of the "realistic-things" that disturb the gameplay and the fun in my opinion.

but there is another "mouse delay" that happens if you play on high resolution. 

f.e. if i play on 1080p the mouse movement feels very delayed and if i go down to 1600x900 its getting better - damn graphic card getting old :(

I don't know the exact terms so I'm going to try and describe what feels like is happening here because I too have experienced this. The calculation doesn't feel as though it scales with the resolution. 

When you're at a lower resolution, the math to accelerate your cursor hasn't changed so it has less pixels to cover when you move your mouse. 

Like, the acceleration math remains consistent no matter your resolution, so when you lower it, you have less 'distance' to cover with your mouse to move your head/body. 

@the people complaining about it. In real life there are limitations to how quickly we can move our body. So, even if 'acceleration' were turned off, there would need to be some kind of human animation you'd need to wait for in order for you to do a 180 and see behind you, The best example I can give is how you get over objects in this game as opposed to others. With this game, you climb or vault over objects which is more in-line what you would do in the real world. In other games, 'hit space and insta jump from a prone position while doing a 360', which is... well, not really a characteristic of a normal human being. 

It's always funny when people think they speak for a any significant amount of other people.

Well jagoff the entire point of this thread is that Mouse Accel is SHIT, there is a reason the top games all dont use/have the ability to turn it.

we will go with your statement above and give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say that 1% of the total people playing this game hate mouse accel so much they never come back

-according to the dayz website thats 1,737,741 players. thats almost 20,000 people that will never come back to this game.

now we go on the more probable assumption that atleast 25% of people playing this mouse accel is shit and wont come back. now your looking at 400,000 people who would rather play a game that "Feels" right instead of being frustrated and forced to play something that blows.

obviously those numbers aren't right, but the facts are still there.

Acceleration has no place in anything to do with gaming, competitive or casual, theres a reason most people dont use it