Greaves

Players, communicte more please.

So you want me to let you know when I kill you? You want me to alert others of presence? No thanks. I'll just kill you with my revolver and gtfo before anyone comes looking.

Ask yourself this:

Would a hitman or assassin warn his target that he's about to die to have time to react? No. What you people are asking is stupid. Some people might say something first and someone like me won't. They will just do it and be done with, no talking, no insults, no problem ;).

You're missing the point.

He wants to hold someone up, not kill them.

So he "warns" them to stop moving, put away their weapon and/or put their hands up.... but these players are not complying or responding and instead turning which will get them shot.

I always communicate but not to hold up someone but to trade! I always help others and i even carry 2 yellow crates with "noob supplies" like canteen/bandages/can opener/sardines/epi/morphine. I give the whole crate to new players.

But when someone doesn't talk back or reach for weapon - i kill. So tell me now, whats your interest in running? If you run away from me you will die but if you stay you can get a gift :)

• Like 1

3) You are not playing DayZ, you're playing a multi-player game with your "tribe" using external tools, therefore you miss out on one of the core concepts of DayZ: The human interaction. Have you tried playing with all your friends on the same server BUT not using external communication tools to coordinate before or during play? Might have to start actually playing the game then, if only to check if that guy in front of you is a friend or not. Then you could set up a clothing pattern to recognize each other over time or if you get separated. You'd also have to sort out tactics before entering an area since you'll want to keep voice communication low.

I agree, it would be a more complete experience but unfortunately 99.9% of  groups will be using VoIP, there is no possible way to prevent this (steamworks has it built in) and to avoid it is to choose to be at a serious disadvantage, just as much as third person mode (but that can be addressed). Even though its not in the spirit of the game it does have a direct impact on communications, and to argue you not playing the game right doesn't remedy the issues and was a rather bitter remark from an otherwise excellent post.

Edited by forddefect

How you respond to players, even in terms of the stance you take (aggressive or laid back) determines whether or not you're going to be killed in most cases

I agree, it would be a more complete experience but unfortunately 99.9% of  groups will be using VoIP, there is no possible way to prevent this (steamworks has it built in) and to avoid it is to choose to be at a serious disadvantage, just as much as third person mode (but that can be addressed). Even though its not in the spirit of the game it does have a direct impact on communications, and to argue you not playing the game right doesn't remedy the issues and was a rather bitter remark from an otherwise excellent post.

Wasn't passing a judgement, just stating a fact (and agreed with him actually on the identification issue). There is no sane way to prevent this so I just try to ignore it. It's a bit like having a map of Cherno open while playing, disabling clouds and upping gamma to play at night, etc..what you gonna do right? Doesn't mean I have to do the same however...  :)

That said, I thought it was important to state that if you do use these external tools then when we both comment on DayZ, we're not talking about the same game because we're not playing the same game.

Also, since external tools are not mandatory to play DayZ (so far), feedback from people who do use them does not have the same interest/importance/value as comments from people not using these tools (on related topics of course). That doesn't mean they are bad or worthless, far from it, but you cannot use them as feedback for game development (especially in Alpha) simply because their experience is not based on the actual game, but on using these tools, which can be TOTALLY different from people just playing the game.

As such, on a topic like this one on communication and social interactions in DayZ, I felt it was appropriate to point out that fact when he mentioned the use of TS.

Edited by Mutonizer

why I want to make conversation slow down process expose myself for possible danger watch bitches log out???? :huh:

They will add measures to prevent combat logging, still I have feeling you will shoot anyway.

Oh well, enjoy lots of ruined gear I guess.

Communication is only important if you intend to team up with people, or to hold them up and rob them. I'm not about to start talking to myself so I don't need any more communication than "middle finger".

I only ever used a mic once and I've had DayZ for over a year. Meh, didn't do anything for me. It's not my job to make the game fun for others.

Am I the only one who so far has only been killed by players that KOS three times? And all at the airfield? I don't have the 'aim metal thing at moving object, shoot, win' Mentality, it makes the game 10 times more fun. I never know what that man around the corner is going to do. 

I am not a sucker as you suggest with this topic. 

If I have the advantage then sure I will call out if I feel like risking it all for some fun and laughs. But normally I am not anywhere near other players and if I see one by surprise they are getting perforated without hesitation. 

I've been at this too long to be all idealistic and shit. Someone is getting shot in a situation and if I have a gun available I am going to do my best to be the one who lives. 

I never shoot people without communicating first, unless i see them unloading a clip on fresh spawns. But 'tis surprising how few people have actually communicated back to me so far.

A mic is a definite must have for DayZ.  I like to sing Day-oh! after spawning on the coast as I serpentine away from coast campers burning through entire mags that can't hit anyone that isn't running in a straight line.  

• Like 1

I really don't care either way on this one. It really boils down to the situation. However, I do enjoy the random conversations and human interactions I get with people :D  But once item degradation is fully-implemented (i.e. ruined items no longer work) and combat logging is fixed there will be a LOT less KoS for gear and more hold ups. KoS will still happen when somebody has all the gear they need, but if you need something that a target might have and you risk ruining it by killing him, KoS will be curbed a bit. Until then, please stop making KoS threads people...it doesn't help.

I really don't care either way on this one. It really boils down to the situation. However, I do enjoy the random conversations and human interactions I get with people :D  But once item degradation is fully-implemented (i.e. ruined items no longer work) and combat logging is fixed there will be a LOT less KoS for gear and more hold ups. KoS will still happen when somebody has all the gear they need, but if you need something that a target might have and you risk ruining it by killing him, KoS will be curbed a bit. Until then, please stop making KoS threads people...it doesn't help.

This is no KoS thread though. 'Tis about people rather dieing than talking when it comes down to it sometimes. (I don't mean to be cocky with this thread, and imply i never get hold up myself. I do get shot sometimes, like everyone.)

Edited by Greaves

I am not a sucker as you suggest with this topic. 

If I have the advantage then sure I will call out if I feel like risking it all for some fun and laughs. But normally I am not anywhere near other players and if I see one by surprise they are getting perforated without hesitation. 

I've been at this too long to be all idealistic and shit. Someone is getting shot in a situation and if I have a gun available I am going to do my best to be the one who lives. 

I don't mean to talk down to or offend anyone. I'm only talking about the situation where i hold up people, not vice versa. And some people just seem to think trying something like running or turning to shoot me is safer than simply complying and talking.

i am sick and tired of being shot at because i have a pistol in my chest holster and a talon backpack with food, i have given up with weapons because if someone is gonna shoot me the fact i have a rifle will make no difference. I want someone to hold me up take everything and leave me with 1 rag and maybe a few wounds, that will add to the excitement of finding new gear and actually suriving and living through stuff.

And i also agree, i held somebody up with my mosin, because they were in my vicinity and i didnt want to get axed, it was purely me gona take the axe off them, maybe even give them some of my food , but no. they tried to run, tried strafing all the way up the road. so i took 1 well aimed possibly lucky shot with my mosin and took that bitch out, i told him to put his hands up, the idiot -.-

Edited by jasher

I don't mean to talk down to or offend anyone. I'm only talking about the situation where i hold up people, not vice versa. And some people just seem to think trying something like running or turning to shoot me is safer than simply complying and talking.

It's a good excuse for killing, without seeming cold-blooded.  "This is a stick-up."  They resist it, you kill them.  That's how it goes.

I wouldn't shoot on sight, if every person I've ever tried to hold up didn't fucking log out the second I get near them. 

It's pathetic. Most of the time, i'm not in it to kill you. I just want you to come back with me to my fresh spawn fight club. Winners receive loot. D:

Whoever says he aint got a mic he just having a laugh, who on earth has not got a mic in 2014, my desktop mic costs like 5 euros. Still i never shoot them if the run, i just want a friendly convo with the intention to help, i dont bloodbag and shit, just looking to exchange experiences, but noooooooooooooo. Well i might start shooting at the legs me thinks.

Sorry, didn't realize it was against the law not to have a mic.

Sorry, didn't realize it was against the law not to have a mic.

It's not against the law... but it's kind of a requirement to play DayZ. Typing won't cut it, leaves you vulnerable.

You got ear buds? Plug em into your mic port. Might need a little tweaking, but i've done it before when my mic was broken. It does work.

Edited by Daemonkid

for dudes like me who just wanna ice kunts speaking is bad caus other people will know im there

Does the fact that KoS means when you shoot someone the gear gets damaged just go right over most peoples heads? IF YOU WANT THE GEAR THAT SOMEONE HAS DON'T KOS.

I repeat. If your victim has not seen you why would you risk giving away your position and potentially letting him escape or log out. Why would a fully geared guy pussy out instead of fighting? I have tried communicating but some people won't respond or don't know English or will just pretend they will not shoot you and soon as you turn your back ratatatatat dead. And please don't assume if someone is an asshole in game he is also in real life. Some guys are just ruthless like that.

Because what the OP is trying to say is hes not wanting to just kill people and be done with it he wants to communicate!