Sign in to follow this  
danchillz

(Video) Geared server hopper joined at the wrong time

Teamspeak is a plague and as bad an exploit as gamma raising and server hopping in my opinion. 

All of sudden everyone in DayZ has telepathic abilities. So annoying. I know there is nothing that can be done though. 

• Like 2

Yeah I know what you mean, there is no way around it so whether it just so happens the hopper hopped at the wrong time or he was with the guy who got held up... We'll never truly know

But Teamspeak is for communication, can't just talk in game with your squad

Edited by deaje

Teamspeak is a plague and as bad an exploit as gamma raising and server hopping in my opinion. 

All of sudden everyone in DayZ has telepathic abilities. So annoying. I know there is nothing that can be done though. 

Yeah I know what you mean, there is no way around it so whether it just so happens the hopper hopped at the wrong time or he was with the guy who got held up... We'll never truly know

So, you are against understanding your mates when you are trying to find eachother for minutes?

Right now the audio quality of the ingame chat is shite and one of my mates has a rather bad mic, so without third party communication program, we are unable to understand eachother.

To Topic:

I just don't get server hopping for loot. I think that moving through the map is one of the fun parts of the SA right now. But I guess some people just want to click on servers. >.>

• Like 1

Even though I am guilty of this, I 100% agree.

So we hold up a guy and then a guy appears....

This is just my perspective, when the others upload their video I'll put a link to theirs here too

It doesn't bother me personally but I'm not exactly sure how camping at Balota NEAF (mah bad) and killing anyone who logs in there puts you on a higher moral footing.

Since a lot of people are stopping here to reply without reading through the rest of the thread, here's a summary of my additional posts:

I don't necessarily know this guy was hippity hopping as you say but I don't think shooting people at NEAF just because they happen to log in around that area makes you the good guys.  Not that you have to be good.  That's your prerogative.

Maybe, I'm not getting the whole picture here but it sounds like you guys are assuming this sniper that you claim was in the woods was this guy's BFF.  If that guy had a friend sniping in the woods...why wouldn't he just sit in the woods somewhere and ambush too?  It seems pretty probable to me that sniper at airfield was no one's friend.

As far as combat loggers and server hoppers go, Rocket actually talked about addressing this before the alpha release by using logout timers and damage cooldowns, i.e. attempting to logout when you've taken damage within X amount of seconds (i.e. combat logging) would incur additional time before the game would allow you to logout.  Alt-F4'ing would just leave your body in-world and vulnerable to being punched to death until the logout timer had expired.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly
  • Like 1

It's an in-game apocalypse, not a total shut off from any technology except the game itself.

You can't compare or even call Teamspeak as bad as gamma raising and server hopping; the only affect it has on gameplay is helping people stay organized. If attacked, I can tactically move people in my group to a certain location and initiate an ambush.

You wouldn't go running in toward a group of enemies shouting your commands over them.

Teamspeak doesn't speed up any process of getting geared up, I can get geared up in 30 minutes with, or without teamspeak.

It also doesn't give me magical eyes to see in the dark.

I'm sorry for seeming offended, but your statement is just ridiculous.

It doesn't bother me personally but I'm not exactly sure how camping at Balota and killing anyone who logs in there puts you on a higher moral footing.

Who said anything about Balota? This is North East Airfield; total time spent there was about 20 minutes.

15 of those minutes were playing the patience game whilst we waited for the sniper to make a move.

We left that guy go that we encountered, offered him food, water and other supplies; then the server hopper came back for the second time and I shot him 10 times in to the face.

There's a face-face video coming at some point today from another member in our group, will share once uploaded.

Edited by ColinM9991
  • Like 1

It's an in-game apocalypse, not a total shut off from any technology except the game itself.

You can't compare or even call Teamspeak as bad as gamma raising and server hopping; the only affect it has on gameplay is helping people stay organized. If attacked, I can tactically move people in my group to a certain location and initiate an ambush.

You wouldn't go running in toward a group of enemies shouting your commands over them.

Teamspeak doesn't speed up any process of getting geared up, I can get geared up in 30 minutes with, or without teamspeak.

Who said anything about Balota? This is North East Airfield; total time spent there was about 20 minutes.

15 of those minutes were playing the patience game whilst we waited for the sniper to make a move.

We left that guy go that we encountered, offered him food, water and other supplies; then the server hopper came back for the second time and I shot him 10 times in to the face.

There's a face-face video coming at some point today from another member in our group, will share once uploaded.

Sorry, Balota, Balogna, NEAF, NWAF, different airfield, same story. :P

It's kind of hard to prove you were the white knights in this situation seeing how grey DayZ is in general but regardless, sooner or later we're gonna get fixes for combat logging/server hopping.  Rocket actually talked about it before the alpha was released, instituting a cooldown/logout timer.

• Like 1

Sorry, Balota, Balogna, NEAF, NWAF, different airfield, same story. :P

It's kind of hard to prove you were the white knights in this situation seeing how grey DayZ is in general but regardless, sooner or later we're gonna get fixes for combat logging/server hopping.  Rocket actually talked about it before the alpha was released, instituting a cooldown/logout timer.

I don't want us to seem like the white knights, we're just a group of normal people :P

We generally kill on sight in high-militarized locations; although if we have a rear-advantage then we'll use Direct Comms; but 90% of the time the person will either log or will not co-operate with being handcuffed whilst we loot for general purposes. Those that do co-operate however get medical attention, food and water and ammo etc.

So the point is, we do kill on sight in what I call "Red Zones" (Mainly NWAF, BAF and the northern district of Elektrozavodsk, NEAF is generally calm) but we also help those in need; like any group should be :P

I know personally, I'll be stuck on the private hive when the server package is released; but it would be great to see fixes for hoppers in Public, and loggers in both.

P.S; I love that signature image :lol:

Edited by ColinM9991

It doesn't bother me personally but I'm not exactly sure how camping at Balota and killing anyone who logs in there puts you on a higher moral footing.

We're not at Balota. We're at the North East Airfield. (if you're having a go at me for something)

We're not at Balota. We're at the North East Airfield. (if you're having a go at me for something)

Yeah, I got that if you read back up.  I said, "Sorry, Balota, Balogna, NEAF, NWAF, different airfield, same story."

I don't necessarily know this guy was hippity hopping as you say but I don't think shooting people at NEAF just because they happen to log in around that area makes you the good guys.  Not that you have to be good.  That's your prerogative.

Maybe, I'm not getting the whole picture here but it sounds like you guys are assuming this sniper that you claim was in the woods was this guy's BFF.  If that guy had a friend sniping in the woods...why wouldn't he just sit in the woods somewhere and ambush too?  It seems pretty probable to me that sniper at airfield was no one's friend.

At any rate, I'm sure fixes will be incoming for server hopping/combat logging/etc. This is stuff Rocket actually talked about addressing previously through logout timers/combat cooldown.

Yeah, I got that if you read back up.  I said, "Sorry, Balota, Balogna, NEAF, NWAF, different airfield, same story."

At any rate, I'm sure fixes will be incoming for server hopping/combat logging/etc. This is stuff Rocket actually talked about addressing previously through logout timers/combat cooldown.

I'm speculating that the guy who shot is the guy we left go prior to killing the hopper.

I'm thinking that when I shot the hopper, he thought I was actually shooting him so he set up and tried to take us out.

I've no idea, you're most likely right that he's nobodies friend; although he logged too after the hopper left the server (all possibilities).

Either way, I don't see any other reason than hopping, to log out in a military complex, a high-loot area with very high risks of death.

The server was very low pop at the time too, again I'm speculating that the hopper thought there would be nobody at NEAF, because it's NEAF...

Hahahaha out of all the random videos and I click this one first and it is me that you are holding up. No the server hopper was not my friend. My friend and I just logged in just outside of Olsa and he got the Character cannot be loaded and has been reset msg. So since he was a new spawn in elektro I was like YOLO at NEAF. The server hopper was totally random and you shooting him scared the hell out of me I thought I was being shot at. I never looked back and sprinted to the small town to the SE bobbing and weaving, so it was another guy shooting at y'all.

Oh yeah Beans to all for not killing me. after meeting up with buddy we saved a fresh spawn that was being chased by a bandit wearing a mask and attacking him with a pipe wrench.

Who logs out in one of the airfields if they are not server hopping?

To meet up ok, sure. But then scheming and plotting on teamspeak when in reality it should be broadcast to everyone in close proximity because realistically you cant just telepathically talk to one another and now your enemy or whoever doesn't know whats going on. Telling your friend to come in and ghost on people or whatever. 

That's why rocket is talking about whisper voip and in game radio channels. It will be great for those that want to play the game as intended, using in game mechanics. 

Do what you want, I cant stop you, but I hate meta-gaming personally. 

Edited by VictorM

Hahahaha out of all the random videos and I click this one first and it is me that you are holding up. No the server hopper was not my friend. My friend and I just logged in just outside of Olsa and he got the Character cannot be loaded and has been reset msg. So since he was a new spawn in elektro I was like YOLO at NEAF. The server hopper was totally random and you shooting him scared the hell out of me I thought I was being shot at. I never looked back and sprinted to the small town to the SE bobbing and weaving, so it was another guy shooting at y'all.

Oh yeah Beans to all for not killing me. after meeting up with buddy we saved a fresh spawn that was being chased by a bandit wearing a mask and attacking him with a pipe wrench.

Good to see you here sir!, I wanted to let you know some way that we weren't shooting at you as I let off quite a few rounds in a short amount of time.

Here's a more direct video of the hopper

P.S; Passing on the love, we checked and left you go, you returned the favor for another guy getting chased down by a bandit, he'll do the same and it keeps going on and on :P

Who logs out in one of the airfields if they are not server hopping?

The only other reason for spawning in an airfield would be combat logging, in either cases; he deserved to die.

To meet up ok, sure. But then scheming and plotting on teamspeak when in reality it should be broadcast to everyone in close proximity because realistically you cant just telepathically talk to one another and now your enemy or whoever doesn't know whats going on. Telling your friend to come in and ghost on people or whatever. 

That's why rocket is talking about whisper voip and in game radio channels. It will be great for those that want to play the game as intended, using in game mechanics. 

Do what you want, I cant stop you, but I hate meta-gaming personally. 

When in game radio and what not comes in, I'll consider using it.

But until then, since I can never hear any people talking due to my cheap-brand Logitech 5.1 speakers, I'll stick to using a headset and teamspeak.

Ha! I was the friend who had the character wipe and was gearing up down south. You all handled the situation quite well, we would have done the same if we ran into another player especially at an airfield. Thanks for not killing my friend!

Ummm it's the North East Airfield....

What led you to believe this was server hopper maybe he found the server like every other normal person and joined it dont get what makes someone who spawned in fully geared a server hopper LOL

Ummm it's the North East Airfield....

If you read back up 40 posts (not 40, just scroll back up page 1, yeah, we established that.  Mah bad.  Balota, Balogna, NEAF, NWAF, an airfield by any other name.  Already moved past that.  Regardless, we're going to have fixes for server hoppers/combat loggers/etc. at some point during the alpha.  Rocket actually talked about using logout timers and damage cooldowns to address this before the Alpha was released.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

What led you to believe this was server hopper maybe he found the server like every other normal person and joined it dont get what makes someone who spawned in fully geared a server hopper LOL

Did you watch the video? No normal person logs out at one of the airfields.

Ha! I was the friend who had the character wipe and was gearing up down south. You all handled the situation quite well, we would have done the same if we ran into another player especially at an airfield. Thanks for not killing my friend!

You're welcome! Let me know sometime if you guys need a bit of help, always happy to offer supplies and what not :)

Exactly what ThomasTheCreeper said. A geared person would have absolutely no reason to log out in an airfield like that. Either he was hopping, or it was a previous combat log (Like it was mentioned in the video, he previously logged out when he heard us talking to the first person; he should have stayed out)

Regardless; anybody who looks like that (Gas-mask and the whole "bandit" type) in a military-type zone (What I call a red-zone) is classified as an enemy.