KeyaKev

Please get a better anti-cheat.

Why would you go back to battle-eye after seeing how much of a great job it did keeping cheaters out of the mod? I have already come across two cheaters today. Please invest in a better anti-cheat. I'm not saying there will never be cheaters, there always will be hackers/cheaters no matter what, but having battle-eye is not doing any good.

This is what I'm expecting to happen after having an opinion about this terrible excuse for an anti-cheat.
yIhqgaG.gif

b-but now there is VAC too ...

There is? I only read that BE was implemented.

Why would you go back to battle-eye after seeing how much of a great job it did keeping cheaters out of the mod? I have already come across two cheaters today. Please invest in a better anti-cheat. I'm not saying there will never be cheaters, there always will be hackers/cheaters no matter what, but having battle-eye is not doing any good.

This is what I'm expecting to happen after having an opinion about this terrible excuse for an anti-cheat.

yIhqgaG.gif

alot of people are mad and are asking for refunds in the steam forums

alot of people are mad and are asking for refunds in the steam forums

LOL. I just don't want to see SA go down like the mod did. I still love this game regardless, but I wish they would have learned their lesson with BE.

You can't just "Invest" in an Anti-Cheat/Hack. Company's won't sell it to you because they either want to keep it for themselves or it's just completely incompatible with some games. You can't just pull anti cheats out the ass, they take years and years of development and they don't just operate on their own, they have to have people sat there as well updating and improving filters and blocking backdoors into games for new hacks that get developed. 1 Anti cheat isn't going to operate forever and keep every hacker out for eternity, there is always a way round, that's why people develop new hacks all the time, and the developers of the anti hack have to update it. BattlEye is there because it has all the old filters to the mod to keep most of the hacks used there away and VAC doesn't ban instantly, it groups the cheaters until they have a ban wave and they are all banned at once. Preventing hackers isn't always about them developing new ones, it's about the structure of the game and how it's made, that's why the devs are constantly working on new security systems and fixing ways to prevent hacks bypassing it.

Since there are no DayZ SA CD keys, BE will be able to effectively ban players now. No more buying a stolen key from some shady Russian website and doing it again. Now if only BE and VAC could share information...

• Like 1

Butthurt cheaters are already crying about being banned on these forums, the Steam forums/discussion and their game hacking forums.  Delicious.

• Like 4

Since there are no DayZ SA CD keys, BE will be able to effectively ban players now. 

We can only hope.

You can't just "Invest" in an Anti-Cheat/Hack. Company's won't sell it to you because they either want to keep it for themselves or it's just completely incompatible with some games. You can't just pull anti cheats out the ass, they take years and years of development and they don't just operate on their own, they have to have people sat there as well updating and improving filters and blocking backdoors into games for new hacks that get developed. 1 Anti cheat isn't going to operate forever and keep every hacker out for eternity, there is always a way round, that's why people develop new hacks all the time, and the developers of the anti hack have to update it. BattlEye is there because it has all the old filters to the mod to keep most of the hacks used there away and VAC doesn't ban instantly, it groups the cheaters until they have a ban wave and they are all banned at once. Preventing hackers isn't always about them developing new ones, it's about the structure of the game and how it's made, that's why the devs are constantly working on new security systems and fixing ways to prevent hacks bypassing it.

I know how it works. But we both know they could have invested in something a bit better for a while now.

Butthurt cheaters are already crying about being banned on these forums, the Steam forums/discussion and their game hacking forums.  Delicious.

Really? I guess I underestimated BE a little. Thank god. Got any links? I want to see the butthurt flow.

Edited by KeyaKev

1st off BE is actually pretty good, its issue wasn't that it didn't catch cheaters because it did, but the Stolen CD key that were constantly flooding in to the hackers was a never ending battle now we are talking about steam controlled CD Keys the battleeye bans will be noticeable this time, team that with VAC it's a win win.

2nd don't listen to a thing humberto says hes been joining every BE thread talking smack, he is woefully misinformed or was banned before by BE and just very butt hurt its back in.

• Like 2

I know how it works. But we both know they could have invested in something a bit better for a while now.

Good luck trying to find one to buy

1st off BE is actually pretty good, its issue wasn't that it didn't catch cheaters because it did, but the Stolen CD key that were constantly flooding in to the hackers was a never ending battle now we are talking about steam controlled CD Keys the battleeye bans will be noticeable this time, team that with VAC it's a win win.

2nd don't listen to a thing humberto says hes been joining every BE thread talking smack, he is woefully misinformed or was banned before by BE and just very butt hurt its back in.

1 - I know its issue wasn't not catching cheaters it was the purchase of Russian keys, but it still did a pretty terrible job at patching and updating.

2 - I don't even know who that is, I'm speaking on my own behalf from my experience with the mod.

Apparently Battle eye does a decent job of banning hackers problem is the hackers are extremely pro active and its a constant cat and mouse game.

What should work hopefully is a combination of various anti hacks like private hives had in the mod + now with VAC.

1 - I know its issue wasn't not catching cheaters it was the purchase of Russian keys, but it still did a pretty terrible job at patching and updating.

2 - I don't even know who that is, I'm speaking on my own behalf from my experience with the mod.

They patched alot, server side and client side, you just don't always notice.

I watched the a server admin receive a global ban in to "mod", he then tried logging back in 10 times with invalid guids till he got back in then commented on BE sucked took him all of 5 mins to do this, again it wasn't BE sucking as they caught and banned him, those issues are in the past now with steam keys.

Edited by Zaltor
  • Like 2

They patched alot, server side and client side, you just don't always notice.

I watched the a server admin receive a global ban in to "mod", he then tried logging back in 10 times with invalid guids till he got back in then commented on BE sucked took him all of 5 mins to do this, again it wasn't BE sucking as they caught and banned him, those issues are in the past now with steam keys.

Hopefully. I found quite a few server owners cheating. Looking forward to seeing its performance in SA. I have found a couple cheaters recently so we'll see.

Well lately BattlEye has really been on top of their game and has been detecting every single hack site in existence on a weekly basis.

BattlEye is doing a better job as far as detecting hacks than any other anti cheat right now. Every single hack site is being detected almost every week.

About 5 sites total got detected and are down. And all of their users was banned.

a 2 men company doing a much better job than all the other anti cheat companies :D

Battleye is worse? are you really stating that?

Battleye is a one man company and that one guy catched EVERYONE in here alrdy atleast 10 times lol. So yes its so bad..zzzz ^^

Honestly, after slacking for most of DayZ's existence, BE is now kicking every coder's butt right now. I don't know of a single hack site that hasn't been detected multiple times since December. I don't even know another cheat protection provider that has consistently beaten every coder attempting to bypass it like BE has lately.

People hate to admit that BattlEye is definitely the best anti-cheat around. No one wants to release anything publicly now because within an hour of approval, they'll just add a signature to the hack. People have been try to convey hacks on an indirect scale such as the RPM/WPM tutorial but no one wants to learn VB.NET/C#/C++

And yes, it should pick up again because the game is migrating to VAC and VAC is...well...shit compared to BE.

Some Quotes from cheaters, private hack users and cheat coders. Speaks for itself, I think.

• Like 7

Obviously theres only so much BE and VAC can do in outing cheaters. It will always be an ongoing competition between the two.

What does slightly annoy me though is when people constantly complain about hackers without even knowing 100% if that person is hacking. Especially for this game, when all the bugs/glitches we deal with during alpha cause some major BS in our gameplay. I never played arma 2 or the dayZ mod... but I've been playing TF2 for years. (A game which relies on VAC protection) VAC does a good job in that game. Pretty much every "hacker" I've met is using a fresh account because VAC is going to ban them 2 weeks later. Keep in mind that TF2 is a FREE game. These people that create new accounts every 2 weeks will likely not do the same thing for this game, since it will cost $30+ a week to continue playing.

On top of this, BE is apparently a great anti-cheat service. Also it seems that unlike VAC, BE tends to kick people on the spot for cheating.

I get a feeling most of the "cheaters" people complain about are not cheaters. Its just that same mentality I see in TF2 that "If this person is able to screw me over this badly/pwn me, they MUST be cheating." Only in this game, all the bugs and the glitches are making it much easier for players to justify the accusation that another person is cheating.

LOL. I just don't want to see SA go down like the mod did. I still love this game regardless, but I wish they would have learned their lesson with BE.

The problem with ArmA/DayZmod was that CD Keys were stored in the registry, this resulted in massive CD key theft and cheaters just buying new keys for a dollar every time they were banned. BattlEye did ban over 150,000 cheaters in 15 months time so it was in fact pretty effective at catching them. With DayZ now using Steam, bans will be much more costly for those cheating. 

We also have VAC.

Edited by SmashT

The mod didn't go down or fail.

The problem with ArmA/DayZmod was that CD Keys were stored in the registry, this resulted in massive CD key theft and cheaters just buying new keys for a dollar every time they were banned. BattlEye did ban over 150,000 cheaters in 15 months time so it was in fact pretty effective at catching them. With DayZ now using Steam, bans will be much more costly for those cheating. 

We also have VAC.

Yes. But I also remember BE banned more legit players than cheaters at one stage and not even half were unbanned. That's what I like about DayZ being on steam atm.

The mod didn't go down or fail.

I don't technically mean go down.

By the way, for anyone who thinks otherwise, I am not fighting anyone nor am I trying to start a fight. Just to clarify this.

Edited by KeyaKev

Except SA has NO CD keys.

Yes. But I also remember BE banned more legit players than cheaters at one stage and not even half were unbanned. That's what I like about DayZ being on steam atm.

I don't technically mean go down.

By the way, for anyone who thinks otherwise, I am not fighting anyone nor am I trying to start a fight. Just to clarify this.

BE never banned more legit players than cheaters. This is false information. There have only ever been a few false positives. We can't remember something that didn't happen.

• Like 1

negative, simply not true. 

BE had a false positive in arma 2 not Dayz, and it was only 2 days all the bans were overturned. 

Global Bans in ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead 10.08.2012 • 13:45 ] line.gifWe're aware of the global banning issue and are investigating since yesterday. Appropriate action will be taken if a false-positive scenario is found. If that is indeed the case we're terribly sorry for it and will take measures to prevent this from happening in the future.

An update will be posted once more is known.

Update: The issue has been investigated with the help of Ondrej Spanel (BIS lead programmer) and we found that there is a possibility of a race condition on BE's side during the game's disconnect process. It can essentially destroy the integrity of the environment that BE expects and trigger a certain detection. The problem has been fixed and all of bans of the past two days that could have been triggered by such a condition have been removed. There might still be cheaters among those, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that the innocent players should be unbanned now.

We're honestly deeply sorry for this and will do everything to ensure that something like this won't happen again.

• Like 1

BE never banned more legit players than cheaters. This is false information. There have only ever been a few false positives. We can't remember something that didn't happen.

If I remember correctly there was an accidental ban wave of keys on an update. My group was luckily enough to be in that wave and was unbanned.

But yeah, looking forward to BE's performance in SA. Already found two cheaters today, so, hopefully things pick up.

Edited by KeyaKev