Sign in to follow this  
CrocoDan

Whats BattleEye Anticheat?

Logged into a server today and it had me agree to a license for BattleEye Anticheat or something

whats that exactly?

its the anticheat for arma2 and of dayz

An anti-cheat called Battleeye. :P No seriously, it's the "standard" anticheat for BI Studios. It will allow for bans and kicks of hackers.

well yeah I got the Anti-cheat part :)

but exactly how does it work? how does it prevent cheating?

Are you fucking kidding me? Google it. It scans for strings, external programs that modify the game memory, scripts, bypasses and so on.

why did they put in battle eye? I thought it was VAC secured?

Cause 2 anti hacks are better than one. And why not?

Edited by raynor009

Why would you ask? Why would anyone tell you? There's no reason to, as that would defeat the purpose.

It's a mixture of both.

• Like 3

the more anti-cheats the better. some games even have 3 or more

• Like 1

@CrocoDan

You don't need to worry about BattlEye. Just agree and move on. It works. You can find out how it works, but it isn't going to help you if you're a dirty no good cheat, and you aren't one of those, are you CrocoDan?

@SlyGuy65

VAC can only take you so far, BattlEye takes you the rest of the way.

It's funny to see all those servers now popping up that have actively turned BE off? I wonder why?

It's funny to see all those servers now popping up that have actively turned BE off? I wonder why?

lol, for real? wtf... Maybe it's performance? or they just need more time? I hope it's not what we think it is :D

Edited by Weparo

Why would you ask? Why would anyone tell you? There's no reason to, as that would defeat the purpose.

Actually, BE is pretty upfront about how the magic happens. It's like good encryption, knowing how the magic happens doesn't help you anymore than not knowing. And because it is known, if there is a big hole in it, there are a lot of people looking through it.

• Like 1

Actually, BE is pretty upfront about how the magic happens. It's like good encryption, knowing how the magic happens doesn't help you anymore than not knowing. And because it is known, if there is a big hole in it, there are a lot of people looking through it.

Open source FTW! Well, Battleeye might not be os, but the concept is the same

Are you fucking kidding me? Google it. It scans for strings, external programs that modify the game memory, scripts, bypasses and so on.

Cause 2 anti hacks are better than one. And why not?

Whoa! Calm down there champ. He was just asking a question. ;)

• Like 1

lol, for real? wtf... Maybe it's performance? or they just need more time? I hope it's not what we think it is :D

Not performance. ArmA2/3 servers have it and on or off makes no difference performancewise. They don't need time, the server (patched to 113953) was pushed to all servers at the same time. You don't get to choose the version you run.

So that only leaves a few possibilities:

1) Trying to avoid a BE global ban,... or

2) Illigitimate gaming practices.

3) Misunderstand the BE implementation.

• Like 2

Open source FTW! Well, Battleeye might not be os, but the concept is the same

Not quite Open Source, but not security by obfuscation either.

• Like 1

Just logged in to see if rubberbanding is fixed.

Meanwhile, I encounter my first hacker, spawned behind me and wanted to punch me, logged out immediately.

Funny, found a hacker only when the Anticheat activates?

this creates a legal issue for those who get banned from battle eye...

I guess agreeing to to you give battle eye the power to ban you...

but what happens if you dont agree with battle eye, can you get a refund?

this creates a legal issue for those who get banned from battle eye...

I guess agreeing to to you give battle eye the power to ban you...

but what happens if you dont agree with battle eye, can you get a refund?

No, it doesen't.

If you don't agree, you can't play on BE-enabled Servers, simple.

I thought VAC wasn't active yet.

Has been active since day 1 basically.

Edited by Nik21

Just logged in to see if rubberbanding is fixed.

Meanwhile, I encounter my first hacker, spawned behind me and wanted to punch me, logged out immediately.

Funny, found a hacker only when the Anticheat activates?

Probably not a hacker, just a server jumper, ghoster. Unless you have conclusive proof of a hack, in which case there are procedures for reporting those.

BattleEye is the shittiest anti cheat system known to man. 

Almost every popular arma2 server is 'hacked' almost every day in spite of using battleeye. 

These people are idiots. Using battleeye is a very bad sign for the long term prospects of DayZ SA. 

• Like 1

Thought we were done BE I m all for an it hacks but BE causes collateral issues, sure did in the mod remember the pbo errors lol

BattleEye is the shittiest anti cheat system known to man. 

Almost every popular arma2 server is 'hacked' almost every day in spite of using battleeye. 

These people are idiots. Using battleeye is a very bad sign for the long term prospects of DayZ SA. 

You fail to realize that BE was probably the best thing that happened to Arma 2... without it/ with another AC-System, the DayZ mod probably would've died due to hacking way back in June 2012. It's simply the circumstances that made BE seem ineffective, but it probably was as effective as any AC could get.

It's not BE's fault that Arma 2

-Uses a horribly insecure scripting engine, allowing major hacks (such as killing the enitre server at once etc.)

-Uses CD-Keys, that could be easily stolen and sold. Result, cheaters can "unban" themselves by buying a stolen OA Key for ~1$ which made BE Global Bans ineffective - the players that got their CD-Keys stolen (due to downloading and running keystealers, mostly advertised as free hax) endlessly complained about being banned "for no reason".

As of today, BE has handed out over 160.000 Global bans in Arma 2 OA (still counting).

Thought we were done BE I m all for an it hacks but BE causes collateral issues, sure did in the mod remember the pbo errors lol

What does BE have to do with pbo errors?

In almost 3 years of playing Arma 2, 3 and DayZ I never had any serious problem that was caused on BE's side.

BE doesn't directly prevent the cheating, BE bans who uses the known (most public) cheats.. it does the same thing as VAC (not much to be honest.. but better than nothing...);

On the other side BE contains also the "filters" parts, that is something specific to ArmA: it is capable of logging (and so finding) who uses the scripting to cheat.. i'm not sure how this will be effective in DayZ SA, as it is supposed that most of the scripting part is handled only server side (atm the scripts works due to the fact that they have been left intentionally open client-side for dev purpose).

In my opnion there's no anti-cheat that will effectively works.. this game will be NEVER (assuming it will remain popular) cheaters-free, if you give a look at those hacking forums you'll figure yourself that they doesn't give a f** about VAC and BE, but these will remain useful to ban those script kids that are used to download a (public) hack and push a button without really knowing what they are doing, at least this "stupid" ones will be banned (they'll eventually gives up with cheating after buying the game a couple of times..).

Usually the "real" hackers are disruptive only when they get bored, and they have specific targets... while the script kids are really those annoying ones, so banning them would be (hopefully) enough.

My solution will be: private server, active admins, remote cams all around.. this is the only way to have a cheater free experience in this game (as I were doing in the mod).