Sign in to follow this  
green_machine

Dental Hygiene (Not as bad as you think)

It was touched on in a thread, but it wasn't in depth or justified, people didn't take it seriously. Maybe you could today. 

You might think it's BULL now but that's only because you brushed your teeth this morning.

Here is my take on the Dental Hygiene aspect.

Reason WHY.

You're eating beans, which contains salt and sugar + other preservatives. Many amounts of tinned foods contain sugar, even foods, where Sugar has no right to be there. 

You're drinking soda.. oh my, Russian soda must be almost toxic, no offence, It's just that even soda from other parts of the world are bad... but a country with flimsy human rights, must also have a flimsy consumer rights foundation, which would entitle you to healthier food and drink. These business will do anything for profit, even rot your teeth by adding addictive substances, like sugar, caffeine. (If that's wrong... it's wrong, let's move on, but you know what I mean with greedy companies adding addictive substances that are unhealthy)

Even fresh meat can get find its way between your teeth and stay there for days. 

Balance etc

You start the game with awesome teeth. Teeth that a shark would be envious of. It would take many many days for effects to set in. Beard growth and hair growth have been touched on, so the tool are there to implement long term survival features.

Fresh food + water have no effect. Certain other foods are the same. (discuss) 

Drinking water after eating to swill, negates the effects of "unhealthy content" food. 

The camera shake effect from pain occurs once every few minutes or more, with blurred vision occuring for short periods of time from wincing.
(Tooth aches are no joke, pain which is coursing to the nerves of your jaw bone which is attached to the brain and that bone is just inches away from your brain.  (discuss) I've had a fair amount of tooth aches from a fragmented lifestyle, at times, I'd go a few days without treatments, purely because of crappy dental administration in my area. light tooth aches for just a day, no problem but after 6 days....oh my, your whole head is on fire, you can feel the nerves all over your body starting to ache and burn, I had to drink copious amount of whisky to sleep. Without sleep... effects are multiplied.)  

Extensive lack of care can cause light sickness penalties. 

Treatments / Prevention

A pair of pliers, this treatment cause some blood loss, If you're hungry or thirsty, you might feint. This can only be done a limited amount of times. (The Animation for this would be worth seeing.... and doing it to any captives would be Veeery nice to see  > :( )

Hammer + Screwdriver... You would if you could. 

Toothbrush. The condition of the toothbrush would be important. Used with fresh, treated water or risked with wilderness/well water. Toothpaste, sure, sounds logical but rare considering the time that's passed. 

Floss... Which could be used as a tool for precise repairs? (discuss)

Vegetation. Surely some plants out there can be mashed into paste and used for oral hygiene.  

Mouth Wash.. watered down alcohol? Mashed Vegetation mixed with water? (discuss)

Painkillers. They mask the problem but really bad teeth still cause sickness. Do you keep dropping painkillers or do you whip out the pliers? I'd hate to see you neck all your painkillers only to see you need them for real wounds later on. (Could lead to addiction, substance addiction has been is an explorable feature, I read from the dev team)

In the end. 

People have been talking deep about many aspects, worthy and sometimes trivial But I think this is an aspect worth covering (purely so i can pull out some teeth   :D)..It makes you hurt, it makes you plan ahead.. it pushes hard decisions...

Edited by DaveZ
  • Like 7

Interesting, but this goes in way too in depth with the realism, why focus on teeth when we could focus on the medical or the hunting system first?

Sure, it could be implemented but this would be late-beta stuff.

Could you imagine our breath after eating nothing but beans, tuna, and sardines for days?  Wow....could probably stop a freight train!

• Like 5

I think the next logical step from this would be the length of fingernails and toenails.. 

I think something like that can only take place on ~some private hardcore servers but as Hosty mentioned before this goes in way too in depth with the realism

I like how this contributes to sickness and important areas...

So good idea, but would have to be added later as its so deep.

keep on wight he good ideas  :)

I think the next logical step from this would be the length of fingernails and toenails.. 

We'll be growing hair and beards soon, why not? 

Interesting, but this goes in way too in depth with the realism, why focus on teeth when we could focus on the medical or the hunting system first?

Sure, it could be implemented but this would be late-beta stuff.

Yeah, no doubt. 

It does go deep, but isn't that why we're here? Isn't that why the mod wasn't enough? Isn't that we we waited over a year for a whole new engine to built?  

• Like 2

it would be great to have lack of hygiene and nutrition impact the status

Exactly, oral care is taken so lightly be people who've never had "A bad tooth". 

If you have a "Bad Tooth", or simply, poor oral hygiene, then EVERYTHING that passes through your mouth, effects what you digest. Over time, it adds more and more bacteria to your foods that you chew if you haven't taken care,. It's why having good teeth helps you live longer, that bacteria has effects on your heart etc. But that's REALLY long term.

Short term effects are lack of energy (I think) Your immune system is working all the time, more-so when you eat.   

---------

Why would Rocket go through the trials of creating an engine that has an effect on your player, depending on what foods you eat, Healthy Vs Processed foodd, only to see it stop at the difference between tinned food and fruit? 

Edited by DaveZ

I don't like the sound of the idea, the game is already copping flack due to them spending so much time on fiddly little details like this.

Can you imagine? "Hey, hey guy! Wait up! I've got to brush my teeth real quick!"

• Like 2

Dental Hygiene for a game like this is stupid. How long till a bunch of sodas actually affect your teeth? YEARS maybe. So no. My player could last a lot but no long enough to worry about brushing his teeth.

• Like 1

I can eat beans with my fucking gums, who needs teeth.

Edited by Gerandar
  • Like 2

meh i am like in between with the idea. dental hygiene goes far from just brushing your teeth is about diet too, some tribes in Africa have the best teeth in the world and they never brush their teeth, now days whats cause bad tooth can be blame on the stuff added on the food not just lack of brushing

I want to see more realism in other areas before this, but it's definitely a cool concept

I don't dislike the idea all ideas are good (minus the bad ones :P) but then the question comes how long does it take for tooth decay to happen and whose character will live long enough to even have this happen some character has been alive for 15 years then all of a sudden his molars collapse on him, I like the idea it's just too infrequent for me to get behind i guess, where as hair growing and beards is relatively fast in comparison to dental hygiene.

Something i would like though (kinda off topic but being a migraine sufferer myself) is looking to long towards the sun without sunglasses gives your character a headache, least sunglasses will then have a use other than just being badass haha

People have been talking deep about many aspects, worthy and sometimes trivial But I think this is an aspect worth covering (purely so i can pull out some teeth   :D)..It makes you hurt, it makes you plan ahead.. it pushes hard decisions...

Do you happen to run a server by any chance.

Yea we should add sharting, so you have to change your pants if you shart else you get sick from the smell and sharting gives your position away. Oh and lets add cleaning ears as well else we won't be able to hear as well as we should. Oh and lets add washing yourself in the pond, otherwise if you are too dirty you pass out from the smell. Oh fuck it lets just go play Sims instead.

Dental Hygiene for a game like this is stupid. How long till a bunch of sodas actually affect your teeth? YEARS maybe. So no. My player could last a lot but no long enough to worry about brushing his teeth.

you say that because you brush daily. 

I mean, there'll be a system in place to determine health, depending on how healthy the food is, if you eat fruit or junk food... how is this idea any different? 

Yea we should add sharting, so you have to change your pants if you shart else you get sick from the smell and sharting gives your position away. Oh and lets add cleaning ears as well else we won't be able to hear as well as we should. Oh and lets add washing yourself in the pond, otherwise if you are too dirty you pass out from the smell. Oh fuck it lets just go play Sims instead.

(Not the best post I've read, not that funny, nothing to add for follow-up discussion, nothing even added to improve upon the idea.)

Sims, you mean the life simulator? You chose to play DayZ for the zombie survival simulation... or perhaps because it was a popular thing to do at the time, monkey see, monkey do.   

Edited by DaveZ

No just trying to demonstrate how ridiculously stupid the idea of dental hygiene in Dayz SA is.

Edited by weedmasta

No just trying to demonstrate how ridiculously stupid the idea of dental hygiene in Dayz SA is.

I like why posted about why you just posted. 

Edited by DaveZ

A pass for me on this one. Worrying about hunger and thirst is one thing, but once you start having to brush and floss your character daily we start to go down a VERY, VERY deep rabbit hole.

• Like 1

I think anything that gives you more to focus on is a welcomed addition in my book.

The mod, after playing for a while, was incredibly basic. Additions such as these would add a bit more substance and place more emphasis on the survival element of the game.