Murakamo

DayZ is NOT fun for new players, which makes me worried.

I thought DayZ was a sandbox game ? You know... in the sense that can play it any way you like and do lots of different stuff.

Well... it seems that there are some 8 year old bullies in the sandbox and they won't let the other kids play in THEIR sandbox...

I think you missunderstand. There are new payers to the sandbox that want to change the whole sandbox, and that doesn't sit well with many people that like the sandbox the way it is.

• Like 3

I thought DayZ was a sandbox game ? You know... in the sense that can play it any way you like and do lots of different stuff.

Well... it seems that there are some 8 year old bullies in the sandbox and they won't let the other kids play in THEIR sandbox...

Sure, you can give a new player poor directions, run around for 1.5 hours and then get killed by a bandit who saw you running around with no awareness.

1.5 hours is a lot of time. I can't even play for 1.5 hours straight. In 2 hours I would be fully geared and gone through 40% of the map. It literally takes 15 mins to run through the south coast.

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 1

op is right and anynoe who says other wise is a carebear...iv said it once ill say it again dayz cannot survive as a pure open world deathmatch shooter with a side touch at fail at being a zombie survival game

Coming from the mod...I DO agree that it should tell you where you spawn as opposed to NOT doing that.

But I do not think it would be good to have people being able to spawn together.

I didn't play the mod.  Heard about it, did my research and decided to wait for the standalone.

Thus far I'm having a blast.  My other buddies who are also new are too.  We've met up, which was an adventure in itself.

DayZ is not a game for everyone.  Only those who truly appreciate the hardcore nature of DayZ will play it for a long time.  But it's the game I've been looking for my entire life.  I love it :)

This game is not hard, or hardcore. were not special because we stuck it out till we learned the map.

Definitely, i think you should have an in-game friendslist and be able to filter servers where your friends play. Maybe even a "friend GPS" function so you know where your friend is, kind of like shift-clicking the map in the mod. 

But i don`t think you should be able to spawn together, that would make it easier for your friends to rejoin a fight at for example Balota, Cherno or Elektro, and get their gear back. And yes, it is "part of the experience" to travel accross the map to meet eachother, i just think one should sacrifice a little bit of realism in order to not make introducing new players or playing with your friends an absolute chore.  

Shift+TAB works fine, just join them from there. Seriously no need

• Like 1

I gave you beans even though I don't fully agree with you. DayZ is not for everybody, for some personality types its not even an acquired taste. Gearing up, surviving, dodging bandits and figuring out where you are/where to go is the main part of the game atm. Sure, running around with your friends is great but you should be prepared to have fun doing everything that precedes it and be fine with your time with your buddies being cut short. 

I gave you beans even though I don't fully agree with you. DayZ is not for everybody, for some personality types its not even an acquired taste. Gearing up, surviving, dodging bandits and figuring out where you are/where to go is the main part of the game atm. Sure, running around with your friends is great but you should be prepared to have fun doing everything that precedes it and be fine with your time with your buddies being cut short. 

well i guess when i bought this game and the mod based on the fact it was labeled a zombie survival game and its not means i can sue rocket for false advertising RIGHT......

but wait this is not supposed to be a pvp game....its supposed to be zombie survival game but has nothing like it in the game.....also its not a sandbox either(more false advertising if your right and its just pure pvp)

sandbox games are games like

-----------------------------------------

minecraft

7 days to die

terraria

garys mod

DAYZ IS NOT A SANDBOX ITS NOT ZOMBIE SURVIVAL..its pure pvp then and that means rocket is falsely advertising the game if all you pvp people are right and the main point of the game is pvp... 

Edited by soulesseye

in case it hasn't been mentioned yet: DayZ is not for everyone, its meant to be harsh and unfogiving. Oh wait, you knew that much already?

seriously though - one of the main attractions of DayZ is that it does not hold your hand, that it does not gate content according to player level, that it is painful and frustrating if you're out of luck. all this makes those times when you succeed so much more rewarding.

and the standalone in its current state is extremely easy in comparison to what it is expected to be, for obvious reasons:

- loot is over-abundant

- zombies infected are more scenery than threat, and extremely few in numbers

- threatening conditions like infections, sickness, hypothermia have no effect so far

etc.

the game currently is set to difficulty level "ouch!" fire is hot?". i expect it to be set to difficulty level "Welcome back, Chuck Norris" when it releases.

edit: the game is a sandbox, as you have not a set mission/plot but are free to roam in an open world and do as you wish. open world pvp and sandbox are not exclusive terms. maybe you confuse "sandbox" with "crafting" or "building", as the games you list have a strong focus on that.. GTA as one of the most notable sandbox examples doesnt have crafting or building either..

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

in case it hasn't been mentioned yet: DayZ is not for everyone, its meant to be harsh and unfogiving. Oh wait, you knew that much already?

seriously though - one of the main attractions of DayZ is that it does not hold your hand, that it does not gate content according to player level, that it is painful and frustrating if you're out of luck. all this makes those times when you succeed so much more rewarding.

and the standalone in its current state is extremely easy in comparison to what it is expected to be, for obvious reasons:

- loot is over-abundant

- zombies infected are more scenery than threat, and extremely few in numbers

- threatening conditions like infections, sickness, hypothermia have no effect so far

etc.

the game currently is set to difficulty level "ouch!" fire is hot?". i expect it to be set to difficulty level "Welcome back, Chuck Norris" when it releases.

the way its goin now itll never be anything but a giant deathmatch and will bleed players just like the mod did

i stayed in the mod because of things like origins and epoch pve servers places where people could go to actually play the game(pvp is not the whole game morons)

Edited by soulesseye
  • Like 1

I am a new player, and have no problems navigating around. Apparently your friend doesn't know how to go look up a map online, or and or use a compass. Please do not say this game is not fun for new players, because that is false.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but if you have that many troubles finding each other mayby you shouldn't play a sandbox survival game don't you think?

-> Read the fucking signs that tat tell you wich city you in maybe?

I really wonder how people survive nowadays if they cant be bootehred to find roadsigns and stuff.

The game isent even hard to understand...maybe too many people only play peggle.

Definitely, i think you should have an in-game friendslist and be able to filter servers where your friends play. Maybe even a "friend GPS" function so you know where your friend is, kind of like shift-clicking the map in the mod. 

But i don`t think you should be able to spawn together, that would make it easier for your friends to rejoin a fight at for example Balota, Cherno or Elektro, and get their gear back. And yes, it is "part of the experience" to travel accross the map to meet eachother, i just think one should sacrifice a little bit of realism in order to not make introducing new players or playing with your friends an absolute chore.  

Part of this is already ingame. Friends tab at the top will show what server your steam friends are on.

the way its goin now itll never be anything but a giant deathmatch and will bleed players just like the mod did

i stayed in the mod because of things like origins and epoch pve servers places where people could go to actually play the game(pvp is not the whole game morons)

just because you can kill the player next to you, doesnt mean you have to. there is a ton of fun to be had without shooting each other, and i experienced a lot of it in the mod, and look forward to do so in the standalone. i am a carebear medic, i dont shoot people if i dont have to, and i still enjoy it.

that said, i really hope the future will see PvE elements introduced that pose real threats to players - but only in addition to the current no-rules open world. i would love to see toxic storms that force everybody who is in the open seek shelter, mutated bears that can rip apart an armed platoon, quicksand and swamps that suddenly swallow you etc. but all this without taking away the tension that the player next to you can turn on you anytime, that the player who just pulled you out of the quicksand only did so to kill and rob you

• Like 2

Finding eachother and stuff is ok for me...

What i hate , and what keeps me away from playing is the playerbase...turning this into deathmatch z.Shooting everything that moves, running around not caring about zombies, no tactics intented , no stealth intented, just derping and shooting.

From the start people go to the balota airfield , grab a gun and start shooting at new spawns.

Other people go up north, grab a gun and shoot everything that moves.

Just really makes me to dislike the majority of the community of this game.

Can't blame the people for being adolescents

I bought this game last week, never played dayz before. Explored the world, killed a full geared bandit with my wrench. Took hes m4 and went on. Helped out some noob spawns the next day. This game is fun for new players, if you don't like it, it's not your type of game.

• Like 2

Was he afk?

Nah, just came from behind, while he was shooting from a window. He got fucked.

I do not think the "if you don't like dayz, then gtfo there are other games for you to play" is the right attitude.  If your friends does not like what he has done in the stand alone then have him play the dayz mod.  the SA is far from finished so I wouldn't expect someone who is not familiar with the game at all to be interested since 90% of the content is missing.  Let him play some EPOCH or one of the other dozen or so dayz mod mods.  I'm sure it will perk his interest and he will come to understand what the SA is about and how fun it will actually be when it is finally done.

It depends on how you define "fun."

If you're an entitled little child who wants everything in a game spoon fed to you, then you might say this game isn't fun.

If you're someone who likes difficulty and consciously bettering yourself, then you'll enjoy it.

It's pretty much that simple. Spoiled brats go home. If you were too dumb to look around you and beware of other players, then that's your fault, not the game's.

• Like 6

Sounds like this game may not be for your friend. Don't change things to try and suit him.

I can't understand how somebody couldn't like this game so I feel your frustration, but spawning with your buddies, to me, is dumb. Finding your friends is how this game currently works and I don't think it should be made easier with clan spawns and other horseshit.

Solely my opinion.  

Also, clan colors, tags, and the like have no place in this game. I have a feeling they will make an appearance though...

Edited by SJKSJK

I'm actually pretty torn on this issue too, Murakamo. I can understand what some posters like elf cakes mean when they say that your friend should learn the ropes solo (that's what I had to do). Then again, I know how frustrating that can be. Maybe your friend is the type that would give up after an hour of not knowing what to do. In that case, helping him makes sense.

I've had viewers on my Twitch stream hop into my game and try to find me. It sometimes took an hour or more. However, once we got used to the map a bit more, it got much easier. Finding each other doesn't become a problem: traversing the map does, and there's no way to cut down on that at the moment.

The game is definitely brutal to newbies like me and your friend, but part of the appeal is growing personally--learning where to scavenge, where the towns are, the PVP hot spots, etc. I'm still learning, especially from the great people on this forum.

Maybe it's some kind of test for who would actually hank it in a real world apocalypse. Maybe DayZ is a front for Bohemia's recruitment for when-the-shit-hits-the-fan preparations. :P