Murakamo

DayZ is NOT fun for new players, which makes me worried.

Arma 2, for the first time is like having somebody hold you hand, compared to DayZ.

What OP should have done is encouraged his friend to play Arma 2... then DayZ mod or SA

It's like being born again, you can't just dump somebody into the world and expect them to walk... You have nurture them, guide them and teach.. constant attention is needed.

I've done it before for a friend. It's not so bad.

Also... DayZ is for life, not just for Christmas. Don't encourage a friend who is unprepared to take the  plunge into DayZ. It's like losing your Virginity.

ONE time in my life where Skype/Teamspeak is ok. Guiding and helping a new player. Hold his/her hand and show them the ropes.

​Once they're competent.  Sever the umbilical cord. 

I think this thread is perfect example of how I feel about the DayZ community. 

You know in Skyrim? When you walk into a town... and people shout:

"Outsider!!!"

"Lizard!"

"Fag"

Well, not "fag", but still, there's a serious cancer spreading about being a "hardcore player", and being a hardcore player gives you the right to spit and stomp on people with the same old sentences about softcore gaming, about asking for different things related easy gaming, which is only what they've known so far... So they're changing climate, no reason to make it harder >:(  

I'm a serious player myself, but I'm not going to spit on a fellow gamer or deter them from playing DAYZ, all i can do is enlighten them or educate them about the spine of gaming. Every Game is different, All i can do is enlighten them about the intention of the game, what it stands for and what the game is trying to portray. If the game is trying to portray misguided fan-boyism.... You win.

Not directed towards 100% of you, just the defensive and heavy handed members, who come across as "Too harsh", "THIS IS DAYZ NOT COD!"

I've had the same defensive attitude, but I'm trying to change. Life is not just Sword and Shield.  

Edited by DaveZ
  • Like 2

I started with the Standalone and yes it was very tough in the beginning but now all of the pieces are starting to fall into place. You just have to put effort in, thats all.

• Like 2

This man ^ is correct.

Have my beans.

Haha, thanks bro :)

I think this thread is perfect example of how I feel about the DayZ community. 

You know in Skyrim? When you walk into a town... and people shout:

"Outsider!!!"

"Lizard!"

"Fag"

Well, not "fag", but still, there's a serious cancer spreading about being a "hardcore player", and being a hardcore player gives you the right to spit and stomp on people with the same old sentences about softcore gaming, about asking for different things related easy gaming, which is only what they've known so far... So they're changing climate, no reason to make it harder > :(  

I'm a serious player myself, but I'm not going to spit on a fellow gamer or deter them from playing DAYZ, all i can do is enlighten them or educate them about the spine of gaming. Every Game is different, All i can do is enlighten them about the intention of the game, what it stands for and what the game is trying to portray. If the game is trying to portray misguided fan-boyism.... You win.

Not directed towards 100% of you, just the defensive and heavy handed members, who come across as "Too harsh", "THIS IS DAYZ NOT COD!"

I've had the same defensive attitude, but I'm trying to change. Life is not just Sword and Shield.  

Well, I didn't mean to be rude, but still. DayZ is not for everyone. And that's cool! Because people have different tastes in everything: Food, clothing, sex, you name it! And I know (too) many people that are just like this :

I know people who will simply drop something that they cannot solve in about 15 minutes, they are very frustrating to game with.

So did you install the steam games?

• Nah, i found my login but then it asked me for a code and i got pissed.

And you know what? The have all the right to be like that! It's cool with me, I can't change them anyways... Take my smaller brother for instance : He is exactly the kind of guy who would say something like in above quote. He enjoys games like L4D2, that in my opinion is just utter crap. The deal is this : I don't go to the L4D2 forums and ask for more realism (no more unlimited ammo in the pistols) and he doesn't go to the DayZ forums asking to make the game easier (location indication, different types of spawn). You know what I'm saying?

I think the DayZ community is very open to new members, but after all we are a very small community that probably considers itself "elitist", whatever :P Many games have been watered down to increase the appeal to the consumers. Have a look at The Cynical Brits video about God Hand where he explains why the (in his opinion) awesome game has had small commercial success.

I'd hate to see DayZ beeing modified to apeal to a larger userbase at the expense of the "true DayZ spirit". After the final release of SA, when modding is supported, there will be many (optional) things that help the player and create easier gameplay.

Weparo

I personally don't believe spending half a day meeting up and dying then meeting up again to be a part of the dayZ experience.

Well, it is. So, sorry?

The game is supposed to be punishing, brutal and unforgiving to new players. If that's how it feels already then we know it's on the right track.

Hi there...

Sorry about your friend...yes the learning curve of Dayz is hard...but you should keep trying :D, it gets easier(a little) once you learn the basics...

I remember my days as a newbie in the mod...tough days since i was and am a lonewolf

Use common sense in Dayz, it helps a lot...look around...normally you spawn near a town...the signs are always in the entrance of the town... and he already has a friend that knows the game basics and that is a huge advantage...

About your situation, my advice would be that you should be the one finding him, since you seem more experienced. Tell him to wait in the forest near the town or something...

About your suggestion...i dont like that kind of system...like most people said...its part of the experience and anything can happen during that time( for good or ...well, you know)

Have fun out there

And yet the games that have the most success and have the capital to reinvest in their products are indeed the ones who are able to distill out frustrating features while leaving in challenging ones.

Well, the frustrating feature from OP's post is that he and his friend are incapable of navigating, and didn't realize that huddling inside a home doesn't make them invincible.

So the distillation would be to weed out the bad players?

In all seriousness, the game's learning curve isn't that bad.  The skill floor isn't high.  If you can't meet success in a relatively short period of time, as the game is right now, then you aren't trying.

Well, I didn't mean to be rude, but still. DayZ is not for everyone. And that's cool! Because people have different tastes in everything: Food, clothing, sex, you name it! And I know (too) many people that are just like this :

I didn't mean that, it's that other parts of the forums recklessly hurl standards at players, but this thread has been good so far.  

Sorry OP, but this is what will make this a legendary game.  You have to really work at getting better, and that means repeatedly dying and losing your gear to get better.   If you or your friend don't like it, then I suggest play another game.

It was really fun for me the first time I played it.  Definitely the game I was looking for.  I hadn't played the MOD before the standalone.

Once the hard part of figuring out how things work, it's very enjoyable.  I hope it’s never easy......

...there's a serious cancer spreading about being a "hardcore player", and being a hardcore player gives you the right to spit and stomp on people with the same old sentences about softcore gaming, about asking for different things related easy gaming, which is only what they've known so far... So they're changing climate, no reason to make it harder > :( 

DayZ really isn't as hardcore as some players make it out to be though.  You want to play a really hardcore game?  Try playing NetHack without reading the spoilers.  Heck, read the spoilers even.  DayZ is just different.  A lot of players aren't used to that.  They're used to their mainstream FPS twitch shooters.  Games like Call of Duty are basically what I would refer to as "arcade shooters."

It's the difference between playing Need for Speed (arcade racing) and playing a game like F1. (simulation racing)

The thing with DayZ is a lot of people have bought it based solely on the hype (which is deserved of course) but have no experience with the mod and the only thing they knew about the game before they bought it was open world FPS with zombies...and DayZ is of course a lot more than that.

Wow, I was not expecting so much hate when I started reading this thread. I guess SA has minted a whole new crop of internet badasses.

DayZ isn't that difficult, but its learning curve is almost vertical. Day 1 is a nightmare, but after that, once you've figured out the tricks its practically a cake walk and about the only challenge left is deathmatching in Balota for the LOLZ. I wouldn't mind at all if the slope of the curved was reduced a little bit by making it a little easier for new players, while adding some more challenge for folks who have been around for awhile. Note I have not idea how to actually do this without loosing important parts of the game but it is worth thinking about.

I don't see any problem with allowing new characters to choose to spawn together. As a side effect it might even get new players using ingame comms more rather than just assuming that teamspeak with their buddies is the only way to go.

EDIT: For all you elite navigators out there, you think finding yourself in little old Chernarus is hard? Why don't you try playing on the whole planet: http://geoguessr.com/. At least nobody will be shooting at you.

Edited by Heiduk

DayZ isn't that difficult, but its learning curve is almost vertical. Day 1 is a nightmare, but after that, once you've figured out the tricks its practically a cake walk and about the only challenge left is deathmatching in Balota for the LOLZ.

Vertical learning curve, but after day 1 it's practically a cake walk....  These are your words.  Let them sink in.  You more or less complain about the game being too hard, and then say after a little bit of play it's faceroll time.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I rate your post at 5 facepalms!

For all you elite navigators out there, you think finding yourself in little old Chernarus is hard? Why don't you try playing on the whole planet: http://geoguessr.com/. At least nobody will be shooting at you.

Quite fun but difficulty is mostly based on how blurry the actual googleviews are. If they are quite clear, you can isolate your overall location pretty fast. If everything's poor quality, not much you can do.

Major drawback is that you cannot tell the time at which the pictures were taken, therefore it's very hard to immediately know you're relation to the equator, which is annoying. One was fun however, appeared, looked up at a sign, gave me internet extension for the country immediately and couple steps down the road, found the actual name on a trashbin :)

Vertical learning curve, but after day 1 it's practically a cake walk....  These are your words.  Let them sink in.  You more or less complain about the game being too hard, and then say after a little bit of play it's faceroll time.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I rate your post at 5 facepalms!

i see what you mean.

Yes, you can feed yourself.

Yes, you can quench your thirst.

Yes, you can heal wounds. 

All that's next is Death matching.

He makes it sounds so simple. Like playing Quake, while you look for food and water while grabbing armour and ammo

Day 1 is a nightmare

So basically you're saying Day 1 is the only part of the game that's working as intended currently? Why the fuck would we change it then?

Here's what the DayZ difficulty curve should look like.

• Like 1

LearningCurve.jpg 

I prefer difficulty curves that look like this. Scribble out EvE and replace it with DayZ if it helps.

Edited by Pandema
  • Like 1

That graphic probably needs to be updated beyond where it's at.  World of Warcraft is a faceroll fest, and I bet most people don't even know what Pirates of the Burning Sea is.

:beans:  anyway, because that's what I thought the graphic was going to be from the poster before you.

You're kidding, right? Both of my friends who purchased the game just to play with me found it a piece of cake to navigate.

Pro tip: Signs.

Personally it doesn't effect me either way if they make something like that or not, but I know it is very possible since the mod can't let you pick where u spawn. And if there are hacks that let you have a damn radar on people then they could even make a radar for people on your friend list. But I don't think they will do anything like that honestly. But who knows. It's alpha so anything is up for change I guess. Only way to get them to consider something like that is to bring it up

I have played DayZ since the mod came out. I love it and I have bought the alpha, which is not bad.

Today, I bought the alpha for a friend of mine who has never played the game and the experience for him was in a nutshell, boring and frustrating.

I played the game with him to try and teach him how the game worked. If you are new and have no clue what's happening, then clearly the game will be frustrating. That's why I wanted to meet him in game to help him out.

The only problem? Meeting up with him was a complete disaster. He obviously had no clue where he was and his surroundings he described only slightly assisted me.

It's not like the mod where it tells you where you are when you log in or spawn. We are just left smack bang in the middle of nowhere.

So, after spending about 1.5 hours running in different directions and around in circles, we finally meet each other. We briefly enjoyed about 30 seconds of reunion before a bandit came out of a house and shot both of us.

Joy. Back to square one.

Needless to say, my friend was not impressed and really could not bare spending another 1.5 hours trying to find each other and he definitely won't play the game again unless I am on or unless I hassle him to give it another try.

This has been suggested before, to allow friends to spawn with each other. At the very least when you both die. Obviously, it would be stupid to allow people to spawn with a friend who is already alive with their full grade military equipment. But allow fresh spawns to spawn together.

I know naysayers will say 'finding each other is part of the experience!' Well, I personally don't believe spending half a day meeting up and dying then meeting up again to be a part of the dayZ experience.

Well, I guess I could just kill myself and hope for a spawn closer to my friend by clicking the 'respawn' butto- Oh wait.

Another suggestion regarding this functionality is to make it optional for servers to have this setting.

=============

Something needs to be done to allow experienced players like myself to assist new people who I am trying to introduce this game to. This game is extremely punishing, but also extremely rewarding. I need a good chance to show my friend the rewarding side of this game and so far, I have had none.

I would like to discuss this with my fellow DayZ players.

It's a hilarious that people think that their own isolated experience represents anywhere near a significant part of the game's ever growing player base. Bottom line is this game isn't for everyone, sounds like you friend is of those people. The game doesn't need to be made easier in any way, in fact it needs to be harder if anything.

How would this work without something like a teleport ?

Maybe I'm just tired and brain dead.

But how do you see it functioning?

If you move after your friends logged off someones going to get lost again.

Every time your friend plays do you both have to die and meet up on the coast again?

How would this work without something like a teleport ?

Maybe I'm just tired and brain dead.

But how do you see it functioning?

Player Foo creates new Character A and chooses "Spawn With Friend Bar".

Player Bar creates new Character B and chooses "Spawn with Friend Foo".

Characters A and B spawn into the same server, together at a randomly selected spawn location and start their journey flashlights in hand.

I don't think team spawning works except for new spawns because of teleporting and other potential abuses as you indicate.

LearningCurve.jpg 

I prefer difficulty curves that look like this. Scribble out EvE and replace it with DayZ if it helps.

Congratulations, I think you managed to find the only version of that comic on the internet where the axes are labeled wrong.  :P

I also might add that DayZ's learning curve is the inverse of the one shown for Eve.

Player Foo creates new Character A and chooses "Spawn With Friend Bar".

Player Bar creates new Character B and chooses "Spawn with Friend Foo".

Characters A and B spawn into the same server, together at a randomly selected spawn location and start their journey flashlights in hand.

I don't think team spawning works except for new spawns because of teleporting and other potential abuses as you indicate.

its getting messy.

Multiple accounts implemented and squad spawn all without opening up holes and exploits as a result of either or both.

:(

Being thrust into a big unknown world with no idea what you're doing or what's going on is half the fun. 

The game being hard at first is what separates the wheat from the chaff.