Mista Tea

FPS Issues with an AMD 7970 3gb

My friend is getting fairly intense FPS issues when he plays. When running fine, it gives him a solid 30fps. However, it seemingly randomly drops to 5-6fps. Does anybody know of a fix for this?

Thanks,

Tea

My friend is getting fairly intense FPS issues when he plays. When running fine, it gives him a solid 30fps. However, it seemingly randomly drops to 5-6fps. Does anybody know of a fix for this?

Thanks,

Tea

I've got a 7950 and i'm getting low fps but not that low , and only drops to 20fps in cities ... 

It's all about CPU speed and drive speed. What CPU does he have, and what else did he change when installing the new card? What card did he have before?

The Dayz mod runs fine with it, around 30 fps. He has 8gb of RAM and a AMDfx 4100 running at 3.6 ghz

Random drops are normal in my experience. My card is nowhere near that good (calling that good should tell you just how bad mine is!); I'll occasionally hit a solid 8 before it jumps back up to its normal 15 in Chernogorsk and.... I think the town is near Skalisty. Whatever it is, the hospital and an apartment building trash my FPS.

He was getting a good fps with the same card solidly, but now it is rare to get above 15

He's only been having these problems since he put the new card in today

Did he use the driver disc that came with the card? He should grab the latest catalyst drivers if so.

Also, that CPU doesn't keep up very well ( I just upgraded from the 4130). If he upped the video settings due to the new card, that could be the issue as well.

Get over it, got a GTX770, i7 4670k @4.2 8gb ram and dayz on my SSD, i go down to 20 when going to cherno on highest settings.

He's only been having these problems since he put the new card in today

He was getting a good fps with the same card solidly, but now it is rare to get above 15

Ok, which is it?

He hadn't changed anything. No, not 'get over it' he did have solid frames. This isn't a drop because he goes into a city. This is unrelated to location. You'd know this if you read the post before talking out of your arse hole.

That rig sounds fine. Im on a 7770 and I don't get those kind of drops. Sure the 1/2 extra power leads are in the top of the card? His old one might not of used them.

Maybe try,

Is PC in high performance mode

Is grapichs card in high performance mode

Does Motherboard have a boost function? if so try that on

Check all the cables (especially those top 2 power jacks)

Try lowering res (im at 720p with r7770, getting way over 30 in wilderness, mid-high 20's in citys)

EDIT - Oh yeah and as others have said, drivers.....its always a driver issue lol

Edited by Karmaterror

He did have solid frames originally, but then they almost instantly dropped after a while

He did have solid frames originally, but then they almost instantly dropped after a while

Is he monitoring his CPU temps? 

disable clouds you'll be fine then. this should be stickied as it causes massive fps lags.

Everything was set as low as it could go, and the FPS issues stayed constant. He has also checked the temperatures of everything, and it all seems to be ok

Edited by Mista Tea

Swap his old card back in to see if the issues are still happening or if it is a card issue. You might need to get the card checked out, it may have died.

Make sure "ambient occlusion" is off, this setting will dramatically reduce your fps, its a nice feature but not worth 20 frames

Tweak your settings.

Disable clouds, occlusion, video memory auto and the other two options in the "Textures" tab set to Normal etc.

I have a 7970 ghz and in a number of games turning the games video settings right down can actually negatively impact the fps, have you tried it on high settings too? Also make sure in CCC that your on balanced setting for gaming.