krankiez

New player with a question

Hi i'm Krankie

I been on youtube looking at a number of guides and tips for dayz standalone and i noticed every vid ive seen people have a debug health and food - water need displayed and along with sound and see display i dont have any of these things was they removed from the game because for some reason even a zombie over 200 metres away and im laying down on the ground can see me and comes charging at me not sure if this is a bug thats being fixed but as im new it could be my fault any ideas ?

Edited by krankie

Hi i'm Krankie

I been on youtube looking at a number of guides and tips for dayz standalone and i noticed every vid ive seen people have a debug health and food - water need displayed and along with sound and see display i dont have any of these things was they removed from the game because for some reason even a zombie over 200 metres away and im laying down on the ground can see me and comes charging at me not sure if this is a bug thats being fixed but as im new it could be my fault any ideas ?

Weird. As far as I know, you don't get visual indicators like you did in the original DayZ mod. Maybe you saw a video about that, instead of the standalone?

If it really was standalone, then I honestly don't know how they got those indicators.

As for the zombies, that's normal. It's a very early alpha, and zombies can pretty much see you coming from a mile away.

So how do you do with that unarmed any tips ? even aimed i seem to find myself bleeding after trying to kill a zombie

Edited by krankie

If you're asking how to deal with zombies, then there's 2 options:

If you have an axe, you can try to fight them. How you do it is you run at them, and just before you hit them, you left-click and try to make the axe hit the zombies. Then you back away, let the zombie go through the attack animation, and repeat the whole thing.

If you have nothing else (don't try to fight with shovels or anything else, just axes), then just run. Zombies won't chase you across the whole map like in the mod. If you run for about a minute, they'll usually just give up. Maybe even less time.

Edited by Tully B. Burnalot

When you encounter a zombie as a fresh spawn the options are:

1. RUN!

or 

2. Go into first person mode get your fist out and aim for the head, if you hit the zombie in the head the zombie will be knocked down giving you a chance to RUN! and get out of the zombies eye sight. 

Tip: If you are a fresh spawn and bleeding take your shirt off, rip it into rags and stop the bleeding. You WILL find clothes soon.

So how do you do with that unarmed any tips ? even aimed i seem to find myself bleeding after trying to kill a zombie

You don't. If you are unarmed, there is no gain in killing a zombie - they've got no loot and you'll end up getting injured; just use those fresh spawn legs and run the hell away. 

@ the OP.

Until you get a splitting or fireman's axe, just run. The zombies give up after a few seconds. 

The User Interface you are talking about is from the mod I do believe... not the SA.

you can easily take zombies on with a shovel or wrench, you just gotta keep moving and swinging.

Went at 4 zombies at the same time with a shovel, then found an axe took on several more zombies, then got KOS'd.

It just takes ages to drop them.

Easiest way is to circle strafe them in first person. Just hold a or d whilst moving your mouse and you can run round them without taking any damage and rain blows onto them. As soon as they get knocked down, run round to their head and pummel them as they get up and you can normally get another instant knockdown even with fists. Takes a while BUT:

Killing the zeds in the area makes you safer to loot the houses nearby

Firstly because the zeds won't come through the wall and hurt you and secondly because there won't be loud zeds drawing attention to bandits in the area whilst they chase you. Most times I hear other survivors coming because they just try and sprint around with a trail of zeds, gives you plenty of time to find a safe location to observe from.

Alternatively, try and draw the zeds out of town in the direction you arrived from and loop back round, then they can act as NPC lookouts for anyone following you.

Edited by phlOgistOn

So far, the most OP moving object in the game is not players but zombies. They go across walls, doors and even foundations. Yes, they are easy to kill with a weapon like guns or axes or even lesser ones, but they are everywhere, literally everywhere. You may not see a single zombie in hours, but they will come to you when you are doing some serious stealth against players or just scare the crap out of you, and by the way, they do cause bleeding/infection and noise. In addition, players know where you are hiding if a zombie is coming toward your way, GG!