seannybgoode

Lock player characters to a server for a set time period

Ok, so before I get lynched for the title, hear me out.

First off, there are a couple of things that have long been a part of DayZ, that I feel have broken the 
mechanics of the game:

1. People don't play at night. 
2. People log out when attacked, log-in in a different spot, and then kill you.
3. People go to a place where good loot spawns, and then go to 20 different servers until they are kitted out.
4. People log out when attacked, and just log in in a different server.

What would fix this? Lock player characters to a server for 24 hours. Not forever, since there are plenty of reasons one might want to change servers from time to time, but make it such that one can only change servers once every 24 hours. 

The benefits:

1. People would be more dedicated to a server, less likely to be a total ass.
2. Hackers couldn't hop from server to server without resetting their progress.
3. People would be more inclined to play at night.
4. Loot farming is dead.
5. Ghosting is dead.
6. Combat logging is now less beneficial - players may end up logging back in to find their attackers waiting for them.

So there's the argument for you. If you're honestly playing this game for its intended mechanics, and not one of those taking advantage of the system, then I don't see why one could be opposed to this. +1 if you agee.

If you disagree, post your reasons, and don't be an ass about it.

Edited by seannybgoode
  • Like 4

I totally agree with you on this 100%.

This is something that really needs to be sorted out and patched in as soon as possible, the amount of times I my self and others i know have been at one of the air fields or military bases looting and some dumb whited C**t logs in behind us and just sprays for there life.

It ruins the game, it in courage's the kids/teenages and the  no brained ass wipes who play to just KoS on top of everything else, One of the worst things about this is half the people you see server hopping and cleaning servers are already geared out....( Just goes to show how thick as pig sh*t people really are), what is the point in doing this, how can people even test for issues with the current state of the game when there is no content to test with because some teen or child or dumb whitted F**k is going around wiping servers for no reason, or to just get a quick gear up.

This needs to be patched in with the next patch!

1. People don't play night - beacouse gama and contrast make u no use of flashlight or lamp while. Flashlight and lamp is good only inside to see loot but other player can see your light from 400m away and just kill u.

2& 4  People logout when r in troble :)    -  A delay for 5 min. on exit game will be great (exit game should not work when u bleeding, when u have handcuffs,  when u rise hands,  when u r prone or crouch)

3. people go to a place where good loot spawns.  - I belive this will be fixed in future , when spawn of items will be fixed and more zombies will be added.  Atm is something normal, beacouse items spawn on server restart.

Locking a character for 24 h is not k, for ppl who play with friends  or clans vs. clans

TerrorRO

1 . People will adjust to the server situation. What's the problem with being stuck on a server for 24/h in clan v clan? There's no problem with this. DayZ is a game played over many days anyway.

2. People don't play at night because it's difficult, and there's no reason to when you can just hop servers as the sun goes down. People need to play at night or the game is broken. It is intended that people play at night, yet noone does. Gamma should be locked too, IMHO, but darkness that is fair to everyone is a tough thing to do since monitors are different and it depends on your environment.

3. Regarding loot farming, fixed how? Locking servers IS a fix, along with a fix for many other issues. TBH, you sound like a loot farmer who doesn't want to lose his edge.

4. A delay before logout is not a fix for ghosting, it may hamper it, but it will certainly not end the practice.

All in all, server hopping needs to end. Period.

This is a good idea, i'm not opposed to this, but it needs a bit of polish, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play with your friends, unless all of your friends always plays on the same server, or you would have to kill your character every time you join your friends.

maybe the 24 hours could be cut down to 12 hours or 8 hours, and you can have for example up to three characters, only one character locked to a server at a time.

Edited by thomas28

I think at the moment this stuff isn't even important. I understand where you're coming from...It is indeed quite frustrating running to a military base only to have found everything on the way looted and once you get there to find it looted as well...But isn't that the game?

People's play style differ...I want to be able to play with my friends and if that means changing servers i'm going to do it and i think it's totally unfair for a mechanic to limit when and where i can play.

For now they need to work on stability and optimization before adding silly features to cater to the complainers that will always be there.. "oh he battle logged" "oh he logged in where there's loot he must be a server hopper"

Just stop complaining.

• Like 1

Locking a character for 24 h is not k, for ppl who play with friends or clans vs. clans

DayZ is not a clan vs. clan game anyway. If you want to compete play ArmA ESL or something.

• Like 1

DayZ is not a clan vs. clan game anyway. If you want to compete play ArmA ESL or something.

That's not true. DayZ is entirely a community based game. 

For now they need to work on stability and optimization before adding silly features to cater to the complainers that will always be there.. "oh he battle logged" "oh he logged in where there's loot he must be a server hopper"

Just stop complaining.

Completely agree with that, getting the game to run as smoothly as possible is the most important thing at the mo. When they've got the performance sorted out it's then a case of seeing what can be added without significantly impacting on the running of the game.  And with you again on the complainers, you always see them in the side chat forever moaning every time they get snuffed out. Perhaps a little too attached to gear/characters?

And 'Seannybegood' I played at night and never had many issues with server hoping when playing the mod, so I don't personally know where you're coming from with this. Yes hacking/logging should be sorted out, but not with these kind of arbitary measures and certainly not now.

That's not true. DayZ is entirely a community based game. 

What community? All i see is a group ( your "community" ) sees another group ... they exchange bullets. Surviving group gets the treasures. Or bully/a group of bullies see another player/ a group of players and bullies them...not that much different from the ESL games i know except there was no bullying. Bullying came when the kiddies got bored with their games because they got their ass whooped all the time and were looking for victim who can't defend themselves.

I think at the moment this stuff isn't even important. I understand where you're coming from...It is indeed quite frustrating running to a military base only to have found everything on the way looted and once you get there to find it looted as well...But isn't that the game?

People's play style differ...I want to be able to play with my friends and if that means changing servers i'm going to do it and i think it's totally unfair for a mechanic to limit when and where i can play.

Just stop complaining.

Spoken like a true battle logging loot farmer. How is fixing something that is obviously broken and an unintended side effect "complaining"? Rest assured, this stuff will get fixed. 

Edited by seannybgoode

This is a good idea, i'm not opposed to this, but it needs a bit of polish, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play with your friends, unless all of your friends always plays on the same server, or you would have to kill your character every time you join your friends.

maybe the 24 hours could be cut down to 12 hours or 8 hours, and you can have for example up to three characters, only one character locked to a server at a time.

This is exactly why characters should be locked to a server for 24h. Friends will be forced to play on the same server, again adding to the commitment to a single community, instead of letting people hop from instance to instance. Other MMOs use locking features to great success. Like Eve's 24 hour wait on jump clones.

This is exactly why characters should be locked to a server for 24h. Friends will be forced to play on the same server, again adding to the commitment to a single community, instead of letting people hop from instance to instance. Other MMOs use locking features to great success. Like Eve's 24 hour wait on jump clones.

I agree we need a somewhat extreme measure to stop the hopping, not just a half measure like a 5 - 15 - 25 minute timer.
​But force all your friends to play on the same server all the time, it just isn't realistic, and Committing to a single community, that is private hive.
Other MMO's have more than, 40 - 60 player's per server, and even if we get 200 player's per server their isn't a comparison to MMO's.

Don't get me wrong, i like your idea, it just needs polish.

Make character creation by server.  A character created on a server must stay on that server.  Allow each player to have 1 character per server at a time as opposed to 1 character overall at a time.  If you want to play on another server with your friends, make a new character on that server - if they are already geared, they can help you out to lessen the restart effect.

• Like 1

Make character creation by server.  A character created on a server must stay on that server.  Allow each player to have 1 character per server at a time as opposed to 1 character overall at a time.  If you want to play on another server with your friends, make a new character on that server - if they are already geared, they can help you out to lessen the restart effect.

I completely agree, but that would put a lot of stress on the hive.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/162036-the-best-idea-against-server-hopping/#entry1632228

Edited by thomas28