Sign in to follow this  
derpdiggler

[SUGGESTION] Reduce Fall Damage

I had a pretty good feeling it would happen, and I was ready for a fresh start.  I walked off the edge of the NWAF's fire station's lowest roof.  I was expecting to experience the broken legs that I've heard about, but instead I die instantly.

Fall damage?  Totally necessary.

Death from falling from that height?  Not likely.  It could happen, but it would be in the lesser percentages.

This future brain surgeon seemed to come out relatively ok.

Please adjust.

As a side note, I don't plan to recover the items from my corpse.  If you happen to play on the server I normally play on, there's a loot pinata at the NE corner of the fire station at the NWAF.  Enjoy.  It's on me.

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned they should completely get rid of fall damage until they fix the glitching through walls, floors, stairs and any other type of elevation. It is rediculous to slide through the wall of a building to fall down and die instantly. It's my number 1 reason of death, and it's by far a bigger cause of death than anything else you might imagine(it just happened to me 5 minutes ago). It's ironic that most of the loot is located in elevated locations, such as multistory buildings. So there's no avoiding it either.

A temporary placeholder for death by fall damage would simply be a movement penalty for 2 minutes.

Edited by Ghostflux
  • Like 2

I think the answer is to diversify fall damage. It's not that a 6-7 foot fall wouldn't be dangerous, but it probably wouldn't kill you. The game needs varying levels of injury from bruise to sprain to crack to fracture, each conferring slightly more severe levels of immobility and requiring more time and medical attention to cure.

It seems extreme in the game right now, but the alternative would also be silly. If you walk off the edge of a 1-story building you're not just going to dust yourself off and say "Fuck me!" when you hit the sidewalk.

• Like 1

If anything, the game should take into account how much stuff you are carrying when figuring fall damage.

Sure that 125lb (spitballing a guess here) girl can fall off a roof and seem relatively ok, buuut she's probably a bit drunk, and probably tore or at least damaged some tendon in her knee. She's also not carrying 40+lbs of gear.

I think there should be a 50% chance your break your back or neck and only be able to lie on you back, freelook, talk and try to convince people to kill you, because we also disable respawn.

They should remove fall damage all together during the alpha so people stop committing suicide.

It seems like the best thing to say here is stop running on roofs with no railings.

I would definitely support completely disabling fall damage for now.

Yes it is unrealistic to fall off the top of the largest building in the game and play it off as if nothing happened. But this is also very convenient.

At the moment, other players and I seem to have problems with both dying from falling stupidly small distances and glitching through the walls/ladder failure on tall buildings and falling to our deaths. This case is both unrealistic and extremely frustrating. It does not help out with alpha testing because people who loot while going north probably die from these kind of situations before actually exploring all the areas and possibly finding other unreported bugs.

I like looting buildings. I also liked looting those huge buildings that have many many floors and some of them just have a ladder right at the bottom that takes you up 10 levels to loot. I don't enter them anymore due to the fact that I always manage to glitch through a wall to the outside, lag out of a window, try to use a ladder but either lag and overrun it or use the ladder but still fall anyways.

• Like 2

falling 1 floor should give a 40 to 50% chance of broken leg (maybe less) and a chance of bleeding.

jumping 6 feet should not be life threatening..

They should remove fall damage all together during the alpha so people stop committing suicide.

and maybe you should keep jumping off those buildings until it is removed.

I fell from glitching through a wall on a 2nd floor. Couldn't have been more than 10 feet and died. They definitely need to tune it down.

The worst thing about it is its delayed. Your like, Oo yeah I made it and then its: your dead.

I had a pretty good feeling it would happen, and I was ready for a fresh start.  I walked off the edge of the NWAF's fire station's lowest roof.  I was expecting to experience the broken legs that I've heard about, but instead I die instantly.

Fall damage?  Totally necessary.

Death from falling from that height?  Not likely.  It could happen, but it would be in the lesser percentages.

This future brain surgeon seemed to come out relatively ok.

Please adjust.

As a side note, I don't plan to recover the items from my corpse.  If you happen to play on the server I normally play on, there's a loot pinata at the NE corner of the fire station at the NWAF.  Enjoy.  It's on me.

Oh my god yes! That video, with that caption have me literally crying with laughter.

Fall damage is an important aspect of the game, but it's so glitchy right now.... I stopped counting how many times I died in totally absurd ways.

But then how will all the meta gamers be able to kill themselves for electro spawns??? 

Fall damage is an important aspect of the game, but it's so glitchy right now.... I stopped counting how many times I died in totally absurd ways.

I 100% agree.  Fall damage has to be in, but the current implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

I like the idea of weight being taken into account, but I don't think the game is at all set up for that now.  Down the road it would be nice, since it would make sense that a heavier load will make you hungry/thirsty earlier.  Jumping from a single story (normal single story) should be a very, very low chance of breaking a leg.

I'm not advocating that all short falls should be survivable.  I'm all for a very, very low percentage of death being given.  All I'm saying is that I used to jump off a friend's roof as a kid, and I'm still here typing.  I never broke a leg either.

and maybe you should keep jumping off those buildings until it is removed.

Impossible, the game at this point doesn't give me enough control and stability to prevent that from happening. Let's see how I've been killed so far.

#1 At NWAF I climb on a ladder, I instantly teleport to the ground, teleport back onto the ladder, I die. There was no case of jumping, or walking in the wrong direction, I just tried to snap onto a ladder.

#2 At Balota I enter a random building for loot, seeing as I spawned there. I take the stairs to the first floor, I fall through the floor and I die.

#3 At Zelenogorsk I enter a random building, go to the first floor. Totally out of control I slide through the wall, falling to my death on the street infront of the house

#4 At Devil's castle, I carefully walk upto one of the wooden stairs and I see that it's probably too risky to go any further so I turn around, little did I know that sliding off a plateau through the railing falling a mere 5 feet would kill me. Even though I carefully tried to avoid risky areas.

#5 At Novy Sobor I log off inside a building on the first floor, I login I immediately fall through the floor and die.

#6 I even walked off the backside of one of the markets, less than 3 feet and I still die.

I can go on and on and on. It's not accidents, it's the game just randomly deciding that you can move through solid matter.

Edited by Ghostflux

On another note, there have actually been people that have survived falls from over 10 meters. Doesnt happen often but appareantly you can still be alive after that, it's kind of hard to get this realistic fall damage to work in the game i guess. 

By the way, regarding it having no pyshics or anything yet or that they might still be coming... couldn't they just use Havok?

Well this will leave desire for a new item in the future. "Auto-Deployable Parachute" or maybe even "Boots of Springheel Jak" for a one-time use item.

Impossible, the game at this point doesn't give me enough control and stability to prevent that from happening. Let's see how I've been killed so far.

#1 At NWAF I climb on a ladder, I instantly teleport to the ground, teleport back onto the ladder, I die. There was no case of jumping, or walking in the wrong direction, I just tried to snap onto a ladder.

#2 At Balota I enter a random building for loot, seeing as I spawned there. I take the stairs to the first floor, I fall through the floor and I die.

#3 At Zelenogorsk I enter a random building, go to the first floor. Totally out of control I slide through the wall, falling to my death on the street infront of the house

#4 At Devil's castle, I carefully walk upto one of the wooden stairs and I see that it's probably too risky to go any further so I turn around, little did I know that sliding off a plateau through the railing falling a mere 5 feet would kill me. Even though I carefully tried to avoid risky areas.

#5 At Novy Sobor I log off inside a building on the first floor, I login I immediately fall through the floor and die.

#6 I even walked off the backside of one of the markets, less than 3 feet and I still die.

I can go on and on and on. It's not accidents, it's the game just randomly deciding that you can move through solid matter.

Don't think they were prepared or counting on Chris Angel playing.....

By the way you take 0 fall dmg from any hight if during the fall you touch some kind of object like a wall or something.

Edited by Mookzen

So I just suicided by walking off the ledge of the second level, if you can even call it that, of the Otmel boathouse and landing in water.

Why are we not remotely affected by anyone trying to kill us with anything other than an axe or a bullet, but we seem to be made of glass when we fall short distances?