Nehefer

Suggestion: Empty water bottle + duct tape = improvised silencer

Hello all, I have a suggestion for a makeshift silencer that could be added as a craftable item for DayZ.

Simply combine an empty water bottle and some duct tape, perhaps even some toilet paper to stuff inside the bottle, to create a one-use silencer for pistols and (if you don't mind breaking the realism streak a little) rifles.

The shot while using this improvised silencer could be a little louder than using an actual silencer and add an accuracy penalty. After it's been used, the item itself would still be attached, but with a slightly different model to indicate it's not going to be usable. It would go from pristine to badly damaged with that single shot, and add further accuracy penalties if its not removed.

Just a simple suggestion that I think would not be hard at all to implement.

Here is an example of one such improvised silencer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHiBH5J2XxQ

• Like 1

Yes...so much yes.

Buuut doesn't it only work for one shot? I remember that movie sniper or shooter or w/e with marky mark he used that method but i thought it only worked per shot.

I agree with you completely. An improvised silencer would be awesome but I don't see myself using it that much on pistols or semi-automatic rifles. If it was a mosin then yes I would seeing as I would only use one shot anyways.

Yes...so much yes.

Buuut doesn't it only work for one shot? I remember that movie sniper or shooter or w/e with marky mark he used that method but i thought it only worked per shot.

Yeah, as I said it would be a one-use item only. And using that movie as a reference for this isn't a great idea. He used a 30-06 rifle in that to achieve a shot that would be impossible with this type of silencer. I think that caliber is too large for a bottle silencer and it would just send pieces of plastic flying everywhere. But then again, if Rocket wants to sacrifice realism for gameplay, then it's all good.

You're playing too much warz. Cool idea tho.

Never played that crap, never will.

• Like 2

I'm not very deep into this but I figure this would do nothing remarkable to the sound, but it probably would influence the balistcs.

I recall a bottle silencer on I think Max Payne 3.

You don't want to know what kind of "silencer" they had in Postal.

• Like 1

And using that movie as a reference for this isn't a great idea. He used a 30-06 rifle in that to achieve a shot that would be impossible with this type of silencer.

Take another.

http://youtu.be/5tuNvLjo1ko

edit

ninjad

Edited by Ken Bean

I guess this could be included too, as a hard-to-craft option that allows for more that one use.

See my thread here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159648-craft-makeshift-silencers-poll/?hl=silencer

The idea has been suggested but I don't see the harm in making more threads. Shows that the community wants this idea to be really looked into more! I know they plan on putting improvised silencers into the game already but we can influence their attributes! 

Edited by The_Man

...note the video e47 shows. You would have ZERO use of optics putting an oil filter on (with the 'econo-can adapter' ) and being that a water bottle is about the same diameter...

I vote bad idea...

...note the video e47 shows. You would have ZERO use of optics putting an oil filter on (with the 'econo-can adapter' ) and being that a water bottle is about the same diameter...

I vote bad idea...

Not a bad idea. You just wouldn't be using it for super accurate shots. It would be so useful in close quarter combat when dealing with zombies or players. Yeah it sucks not to be able to accurately shoot with it but then again do we really want to overpower an improvised weapon made from trash? 

Also, the bottle would only block your ironsights. Not your optics. 

I vote bad idea...

I'm okay with that.