irzero

Item condition - Worst idea ever

Basically the Arma engine and the coding of this game cannot handle any kind of complex damage system yet.

fuck sake it cant even make a zombie walk around a wall or fence. 

It should be mothballed until the fun aspects of the game are actually implemented... you know the stuff that was actually in Dayz Mod?

It feels to me that dayz is just a sandbox for Rocket to have a play about using other peoples money. Camps, Hunting, cooking, Vehicles, Guns, Ammo, All stuff that people liked in the mod.. GHILLIES! All missing... Fuck me even the zombies are missing. walking through cherno is no more danagerous than walking in london now. You just have to worry about some twat with a knife or axe wanting your can opener.

Basically they took out all the fun and replaced it with about 500,000 x$30 worth of funding to have a mess about on our money since bohemia obviously didnt want to fund it out their pockets any more.

I like item condition. My beans took a bullet once, saved my life. Actually I've no idea if it works that way but would be cool. I keep my pistol in my "pants" as I figure that's where it's safest. Unfortunately things are not completely unusable when ruined, I would love to see your backpack get ruined and all your stuff spill to the floor (with a status message of course so you know what's happened).

I normally wear all my ammunition in my higher part of the body, If I get killed (most of the times body shots) the ammo wont work... muahahahahaha.

I agree it needs a bit of nerfing since one shoot ruins it all but the concept is perfect and should be worked further.

Plus the item condition barely works, only the ruined scopes, clips, weapons and defensive clothes seem to actually not work when ruined, so, apart from having your shirt a bit dusty it shouldn't affect too much your current gamplay. Which is ironic, you're playing while you're supposed to be testing.

To every other rant/cry/mad: ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER ALPHER  (x99999)

Edited by LouisK

Did someone crap in your cereal or something?

First its an ALPHER maybe u dont forget this ;)

Basically the Arma engine and the coding of this game cannot handle any kind of complex damage system yet.

It should be mothballed until the fun aspects of the game are actually implemented... you know the stuff that was actually in Dayz Mod?

It feels to me that dayz is just a sandbox for Rocket to have a play about using other peoples money. Camps, Hunting, cooking, Vehicles, Guns, Ammo, All stuff that people liked in the mod.. GHILLIES! All missing... Fuck me even the zombies are missing. walking through cherno is no more danagerous than walking in london now. You just have to worry about some twat with a knife or axe wanting your can opener.

Basically they took out all the fun and replaced it with about 500,000 x$30 worth of funding to have a mess about on our money since bohemia obviously didnt want to fund it out their pockets any more.

@ irzero nobody on this planet have force u to buy this game it was your and only yours decision,

to do this so now dont cry if u buyed a alpher and say something usefull, if not so wait six month and come again. :)

First its an ALPHER maybe u dont forget this ;)

@ irzero nobody on this planet have force u to buy this game it was your and only yours decision,

to do this so now dont cry if u buyed a alpher and say something usefull, if not so wait six month and come again. :)

Im sorry im not going to refute a point with someone who doesnt know the difference between 'buyed' and "bought" 

Wait, what's wrong with blood types? I think the spawn of test kits is too low, but I think it's a great idea. Saline bags on the other hand are a bit much, basically bloodbags 2.0 that are pretty common.

• Like 1

Last time I checked, handguns had no conditions.

Weapon damage is hidden for whatever reason.

Although I'm not sure why OP's main weapon was affected, I died, ran to my body, and everything was ruined expect my mosin.

I have to say Rocket....

When i read your reddit about adding this system in to the game i thought it was a stupid idea then... after playing the game for 48 hours i have confirmed that it was a stupid idea and i was right all along.

At best id hoped it was a later stage change that wouldnt affect the alpha but out of all the cool parts of the mod that you could have added such as vehicles, hunting and camps.... noooo you had to add this shit first.

After spending 2 days collecting all my stuff i get shot once or twice and manage to get away without to much damage. i then go to fire my weapon and click click... its broken and name is red in top corner. I pull out my Pistol and Click click... thats dead too.... and my Magnum??? You guessed it... Its fucked too!.

Oh and both my jacket and vest and back pack and 90% of stuff inside is ruined also!.

Oh and basically PVP is dead now because looting people is pointless because all their shit is ruined too. its basically just murder for fun... I shot someone in the head and all his gear was ruined too.... 

This game has become a chore to play. Its not fun when you log out with a perfectly working Mosin and log back into to find it no longer fires... (my friend) Seriously whats the point... The gun is now useless. Total BS. There are WW2 guns that work perfectly after 60 years and seen combat many times. A jacket is not ruined by a bullet hole!

Oh and dont get me started on blood types ffs. 

Rant over.

just dont get shot.

I found the best way to not get your gear ruined is to not get shot at, it also has added benefit of not getting you killed.

If someone thinks pvp i ruined when there´s consequences on botching things up and not killing the other guy before he shoots you...well i´m afraid this game might not be for you.

There seems to be lot of different reports on how the damage is working.

Some people claim all the gear is ruined, but personaly the localised damage has worked like charm. Somebody shot my legs and only my pants and what was in them got ruined, i shot someone in the general area of his head (3 bullets, i know, terrible aim) and couple items in his jacket got ruined along with his headgear.

• Like 1

Poor baby.

Don't get shot and don't expect free gear from easy kills.

Problem solved.

One comment:

If you want people to actually do something about this issue, stop titling your post : Worst Idea Ever.

Have some respect for the people who works on this game...

Otherwise they will go to your job saying you suck at it all day.

• Like 2

Im sorry im not going to refute a point with someone who doesnt know the difference between 'buyed' and "bought" 

OK, here in slightly more grammaticaly correct english.

You bought a game that multiple sources said was, is and is going to be broken on multiple occasions. A game whose lead developer told you not to buy it.

...and you´re shocked that it indeed is broken?

You are a special kind of stupid arn't you? Not going to lie, it was my boy that pointed me to DayZ MOD May before last. We have talked a lot about the game, items, etc... It took a long time for me to get him to understand the 'mechanics' behind a computer game, .

Im not going to have that patience with you.

I will however give you one of my favorite quotes, a quote from John Wayne...

"Life is hard, its harder if you're stupid".

Im sorry you will have such a hard life.

• Like 1

The guns are not broken, you just need bullets in them to fire.

Edited by Mookzen

Instead of giving beans there should be a button to "steal beans" from the OP..

Item degradation is seriously one of the best features the DayZ team added. It helps (or will help eventually once it's all working properly) curb the KoS mentality and it also gives you a little extra motivation to live: "I have a pristine M4 with all it's parts pristine and pristine bullets and a pristine bipod.. do I really want to risk a firefight here?" 

Not only that, it continues to give you a reason to hunt for things.. like if you found a can opener but it was *badly damaged*, you'll probably get excited to find a new can opener that's *pristine*. as your current can opener will probably break and become useless within a few more uses.

The big one is definitely the bandit/KoS mentality though.. we'll see a lot more social encounters regarding PvP since bandits will hopefully not want to risk destroying everything you have by riddling you with bullets once the item quality actually starts making a difference.

Honestly the only person who wouldnt like this is a KoS bandit.. I can't think of any other reason as to why a DayZ player wouldn't love this feature.

Last time I checked, handguns had no conditions.

That's right but for some reason they do jam if they get damaged.

The amount in which items get damaged when you take hits will be tweaked over time, but in my opinion makes sense. It is just a little over the top how things get ruined.

A single bullet hole or tear on a shirt/coat won't ruin it, it will just make it damaged or badly damaged.

I'm sure in the full game we can repair items such as weapons and clothing with the right parts/tools.

There is nothing in the ArmA engine that 'cannot handle any kind of complex damage system'. Modders have been imlementing complex damage systems in variants of this engine since Operation Flashpoint. The current in-game system is not complete. But you knew that, or you should have as it has been stated so many times elsewhere.

Have you even looked at the 'Known Issues' post: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153994-early-access-important-information-known-issues/. Go down to the section Important bugs and issues. See that first item about zombies. Read it, ffs!

Look, and I AM going to belabour this point, you bought into this. You bought into the Alpha with all of the warnings and caveats that were plastered all over Steam and the DayZ forums. Even Rocket himself told you: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153994-early-access-important-information-known-issues/

Do not buy the game yet!

The release of our Alpha is about getting those who want to be involved from the ground up, up and into the process. What we do encourage you to do, is to read reviews, watch livestreams and lets play videos, and talk to your friends. The alpha is going out into large scale testing for the first time, this means many things (mostly bad) will happen such as nasty bugs, connection issues, lost loot, etc... Our aim right now is to present the bare-bone architecture and check that works, getting some feedback on the direction in the process.

Look, why are you here? Or more to the point, why are you here now? I know why I'm here: to help the dev team develop this game into the best one it can be, by offering up constructive feedback on features and to report bugs so they can be squashed. It's not going to have all of the things you list above, probably for the entireity of the Alpha, and maybe not until some point nearing the end of the Beta. That's how these things work!

If you are so enarmoured with the mod, then please, by all means, head back on over there and play your little heart out. It seems from your statements that it is everything that you want in a DayZ-esque game.

Rocket has been up front about the funding process and what it actually means. Since you're unlikely to go out of your way to find the information yourself, I'll condense it here for you. It means that the dev team now have the luxury to actually take their time and get things right.

Currently there are 796,375 reported survivors. At 23.99 euros for each copy that's only 19 million euros. That's a lot only if you compare it to my yearly income, but in game development terms... hardly. Just go look at the budgets thrown at the big titles of 2013. Almost without exception they were an order of magnitude greater! But the total is irrelevant, my investment is only 23.99, and I'm damned sure that in my 150 hours of playing so far, I've got at least this much value out of this buggy, feature-less mess of a game.

As to them messing about with our money... where do you think any money comes from? It doesn't just magically appear out of nowhere if you just believe hard enough or pray vehemently enough to some mysterious bearded white guy in the sky. It comes from us. Spooky, I know, but that's how it happens. They only came cap in hand after we threatend to come batter down their door if they didn't give us a peek at it. So they gave it too us with the warning that we weren't going to like it. And we ignored them and shelled out our hard earned cash, anyway.

• Like 2

Honestly the way condition works is a little odd.

Like cans of beans, I sometimes see them in conditions like worn, or badly damaged. What does that mean? Do they offer less "Nutritional Value"? Can I get sick from them?

Same with water bottles, do "Damaged" ones hold less water?  etc. I wish it was explained a little better.

Honestly the way condition works is a little odd.

Like cans of beans, I sometimes see them in conditions like worn, or badly damaged. What does that mean? Do they offer less "Nutritional Value"? Can I get sick from them?

Same with water bottles, do "Damaged" ones hold less water?  etc. I wish it was explained a little better.

From what I understand condition has nothing to do with food yet. But it will.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, not 100% sure.

Edited by Zeet.

Oh and basically PVP is dead now because looting people is pointless because all their shit is ruined too. its basically just murder for fun... I shot someone in the head and all his gear was ruined too.... 

Sounds to me like your complaining that its not easy enough for you to take someones gear without damaging it..

You: "OH! I'LL JUST SHOOT HIS ASS COD STYLE AND GET HIS SHIT"

Instead of maybe using your intelligence to get gear from others without damaging it.

The system was implemented like that for a reason. You shoot someone? You damage the gear your about to take. Effectively making bandits try CREATIVE means of getting what they want.

Sure, you shooting someone in the head and ALL the gear getting damaged may be a bug, but other than that. It's great design choice.

Edited by Flight96

I have to say Rocket....

When i read your reddit about adding this system in to the game i thought it was a stupid idea then... after playing the game for 48 hours i have confirmed that it was a stupid idea and i was right all along.

At best id hoped it was a later stage change that wouldnt affect the alpha but out of all the cool parts of the mod that you could have added such as vehicles, hunting and camps.... noooo you had to add this shit first.

After spending 2 days collecting all my stuff i get shot once or twice and manage to get away without to much damage. i then go to fire my weapon and click click... its broken and name is red in top corner. I pull out my Pistol and Click click... thats dead too.... and my Magnum??? You guessed it... Its fucked too!.

Oh and both my jacket and vest and back pack and 90% of stuff inside is ruined also!.

This game has become a chore to play. Its not fun when you log out with a perfectly working Mosin and log back into to find it no longer fires... (my friend) Seriously whats the point... The gun is now useless. Total BS. There are WW2 guns that work perfectly after 60 years and seen combat many times. A jacket is not ruined by a bullet hole!

Rant over.

Aww, is someone mad they got attacked? Shall we implement magic fairies that will fix your items for you? Jez....

I have to say Rocket....

Rant over.

You speak pretty much for yourself sport. Games fine, not even close to being a "chore". Last I checked, you hardcore Pvpers never had a reason to shoot another player as it stands.

Your just butthurt that you got shot, that pvp happened in a pvp setting. Next thing you'll be complaining about having to even gather gear, and that needing to eat and drink is pointless. Risk vs reward son. Next time. Don't get caught.

Rant over :p

One comment:

If you want people to actually do something about this issue, stop titling your post : Worst Idea Ever.

Have some respect for the people who works on this game...

Otherwise they will go to your job saying you suck at it all day.

and don't follow up by calling it a "stupid" idea. I don't think some people realize how disrespectful their 'tone' is