Sign in to follow this  
Sgt_Slaughter

<Bug> Game Unplayable

Everytime i start a new char and then log out due to a server restart, eating dinner etc etc when i come back my char is completely wiped and im back on the beach again.

Lost my 5 day old char yesterday due to this problem, started a new one tonight then found myself a rucksack and pistol, went for dinner came back and... boom gone.

Infact every time i log out now i have a new char, i dont even need to suicide if i dont like the starting pos, all i have to do is log out and back in and i have a fresh spawn.

/sadface

Also b4 any smart ass jumps in with 'dis is alfa' crap. Yes i know its alpha, im just making sure the devs are aware of this issue.

Everytime i start a new char and then log out due to a server restart, eating dinner etc etc when i come back my char is completely wiped and im back on the beach again.

Lost my 5 day old char yesterday due to this problem, started a new one tonight then found myself a rucksack and pistol, went for dinner came back and... boom gone.

Infact every time i log out now i have a new char, i dont even need to suicide if i dont like the starting pos, all i have to do is log out and back in and i have a fresh spawn.

/sadface

Also b4 any smart ass jumps in with 'dis is alfa' crap. Yes i know its alpha, im just making sure the devs are aware of this issue.

This is Alpha. 

This is Alpha. 

lol wow some people really do get cheap thrills don't they. Glad i could help you out there and thanks for the bump.

• Like 1

This is Alpha. 

Ouch, looks like you're 2nd in line. OP was inb4 you.

I had this problem. I logged out as soon as I saw the message for the 1st time. My Character got wiped. 2nd time too, I did the same thing.

The 3rd time, I became demoralised and buried my head in my hands... for 30 seconds then restarted. 

Could it be? Ever since I logged off after 30 seconds, My char data has been saved. It might be coincidence or it might take a few secs for your char data to save. 

Wait 30 secs then log off/on. Worked for me ever since, survived 8 restarts  

Before I learned to wait, I'd survive 2/4 restarts. Might be coincidence, I might be lucky, But it has increased the odds in my favour 

This is Alpha. 

There's a time and a place for everything. 

Edited by DaveZ
  • Like 1

If you let your connection time out, you will lose your character.

I had this problem a lot in the beginning. I even put a support ticket in for it (something most people here don't do, it seems the new "support ticket" is a post on in the general section)

Here is your answer and work around until it's fixed:

When a server is about to restart you will see a SOLID YELLOW chain link appear (if you see a broken yellow chain link it means something else). It will appear for about 5-10 seconds and then you will see a red chain link appear along with the message "No messages received for xx seconds"

LOG OFF THE SERVER WHEN YOU SEE THE SOLID YELLOW. In my experience if you make it to roughly the 30 second mark on the countdown, your character will be lost. If you exit before that, your character will be saved.

If you are getting up from your PC and going AFK while logged in, well that is a problem in itself. DayZ is not the type of game where you go AFK while logged in.

Well i went to the fairly drastic measure of uninstalling the game and deleting all local files.

*Seems* to have done the trick.

/sadface

if it happend every time, how did you get a 5 day old character?

Well i went to the fairly drastic measure of uninstalling the game and deleting all local files.

*Seems* to have done the trick.

Thanks for the money~
Edited by Gerandar

if it happend every time, how did you get a 5 day old character?

Thanks for the money~

Use your brain moron, obviously i was ok when i had the 5 day old char then the problems started.

And btw i uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. Ive not ragequit. I was posting a possible solution, trying to be constructive ya know? Instead of posting pedantic moronic comments that you seem to excel at.

Use your brain moron, obviously i was ok when i had the 5 day old char then the problems started.

And btw i uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. Ive not ragequit. I was posting a possible solution, trying to be constructive ya know? Instead of posting pedantic moronic comments that you seem to excel at.

your the one raging over a known issue with the game~

People don't understand what the term "unplayable" means.

This is Alpha. 

You'd make a great administrator on the bug-tracker.

Yes, "This is Alpha"; he is however posting a bug on the forums (Yes he also should be bug tracking it and not posting duplicate reports) so that the development team are aware.

Sgt_Slaughter don't stoop low just because some people are pedantic, or ignorant idiots. There are a lot of problems with the server side architecture and databases; it'll be fixed when it's fixed I guess, no real time on anything yet.

Here is your answer and work around until it's fixed:

When a server is about to restart you will see a SOLID YELLOW chain link appear (if you see a broken yellow chain link it means something else). It will appear for about 5-10 seconds and then you will see a red chain link appear along with the message "No messages received for xx seconds"

LOG OFF THE SERVER WHEN YOU SEE THE SOLID YELLOW. In my experience if you make it to roughly the 30 second mark on the countdown, your character will be lost. If you exit before that, your character will be saved.

This isn't true either; the server saves in to the database when it's about to restart; it will only set you back about 100-200 meters or 1-2 minutes if you keep running during the yellow chain until the red one appears with "Lost connection", otherwise EVERYBODY would lose their gear in Standalone.

Edited by ColinM9991

Never logged out right before a restart, never had my character wiped (100+ hours). Lucky? Maybe.. or there is something else to blame here apparently. The fact that this only happens to certain players narrows it down to something rather than "it's alpha". Verify your ports are open and your connection is strong to the servers. Try different, more popular servers.