daniels

DayZ Is Officially Ruined(Player Wise)

Well, as we all know, the DayZ Mod has always been full of bandits and hackers, When Dean 'Rocket' made the mod into this amazing game we all thought that it would change that, for about a week it was all about handcuffing and taking captives, but after that small time period, people just started shooting on sight again. I love the game so much and its a lot more survival and I will continue to play it trying to spread the way of a hero, but this is DayZ now, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPstXBq92c.

TheDevilDogGamer shows off how bad people are when you are friendly, I have met about a max of 15 friendly's in DayZ so far, some of them are even groups, and I become friends with the group and make more friends on steam and talk to them on TS3, I disagree with DevilDog about how everyone is not friendly because yesterday, before I watched this vid, I met the group of decked out guys. Also, the hacker in the end of the video, not really destroying server and such but the game was released less than a month ago so we can expect not to have big destructive hacks yet, but we do know there is already god mode, tp, and ESP/seeing players on a map.

Without bandits there would be no heroes, but for the undecided survivors currently, I say you watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bIpOl8ntpE and the episodes after and choose hero, because we already have enough bandits in the world, and I can tell you, it sucks, currently I am setting up a clan, making a TS3 for one when NPL's are available again on Jan 6, and setting up a website, I will try to make my own hero squad to be able to survive whilst helping newbies on the coast.

I love the game and it is great, but its the community that ruins the survival feeling about it.

~WillPocalypse

P.S. I do not wish for hate, so please, do not make much.

• Like 13

I love the game and it is great, but its the community that ruins the survival feeling about it.

~WillPocalypse

What do you mean it ruins the survival feeling? Do you really think zombies will be the only problem in the apocalyptic world? Of course not, there will be people wanting the supplies you have and WILL kill you. Better watch your back buddy because zombies isn't the only problem you're going to be facing.

• Like 6

Well, as we all know, the DayZ Mod has always been full of bandits and hackers, When Dean 'Rocket' made the mod into this amazing game we all thought that it would change that, for about a week it was all about handcuffing and taking captives, but after that small time period, people just started shooting on sight again. I love the game so much and its a lot more survival and I will continue to play it trying to spread the way of a hero, but this is DayZ now, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPstXBq92c.

TheDevilDogGamer shows off how bad people are when you are friendly, I have met about a max of 15 friendly's in DayZ so far, some of them are even groups, and I become friends with the group and make more friends on steam and talk to them on TS3, I disagree with DevilDog about how everyone is not friendly because yesterday, before I watched this vid, I met the group of decked out guys. Also, the hacker in the end of the video, not really destroying server and such but the game was released less than a month ago so we can expect not to have big destructive hacks yet, but we do know there is already god mode, tp, and ESP/seeing players on a map.

Without bandits there would be no heroes, but for the undecided survivors currently, I say you watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bIpOl8ntpE and the episodes after and choose hero, because we already have enough bandits in the world, and I can tell you, it sucks, currently I am setting up a clan, making a TS3 for one when NPL's are available again on Jan 6, and setting up a website, I will try to make my own hero squad to be able to survive whilst helping newbies on the coast.

~WillPocalypse

Welcome to DayZ:SA where the rules don't matter and everybody dies.

• Like 2

What do you mean it ruins the survival feeling? Do you really think zombies will be the only problem in the apocalyptic world? Of course not, there will be people wanting the supplies you have and WILL kill you. Better watch your back buddy because zombies isn't the only problem you're going to be facing.

It ruins the survival feeling against players, there is no real survival, just a sniper on a hill camping a military compound, so no interaction.

I would rather be handcuffed, beaten, left with nothing but 1 food, 1 drink, and a shovel, yes, I said a shovel, and then put out in the wild instead of being killed.

Love that "vine" type thing that you have for the DayZ Community :D

• Like 2

I get where you're coming from, when I first started I was curious about strangers, since then have been too worried about betrayal. Now unfortunately I do not take risks and will KoS until private servers are running

• Like 1

The community's behaviour is a product of emergent gameplay. It comes down to game theory, who benefits when doing something.

A: You meet somebody, present yourself and figure out if they are friendly.

B: You meet somebody, stay hidden and don't shoot.

C: You meet somebody, stay hidden and shoot.

In case A, you give up your advantage of surprise, and in a trade you may end up with maybe one or two extra items, possibly none, and maybe a chat. The other person may turn out hostile too, go to C.

In case B, if you are not spotted, nobody gains or looses anything. If you are spotted, you are in conflict because of:

Case C: You gain all their items, and prevent them from doing harm to you. If you KOS, you do not loose anything apart from bullets. If you get into a fight, you risk dying and loosing your kit.

Killing on sight is so common not because people are inherently bad, but because it is the SENSIBLE thing to do, 1v1.

Edited by Instagoat
  • Like 8

...Killing on sight is so common not because people are inherently bad, but because it is the SENSIBLE thing to do...

and this is why dayz (mod, alpha so far) fails to be a true survival game. it's not the fault of the community but the dev's. it was supposed to be an "anti-game" but despite it's potential it has become just a really slow (team-)deathmatch.

• Like 1

and this is why dayz (mod, alpha so far) fails to be a true survival game. it's not the fault of the community but the dev's. it was supposed to be an "anti-game" but despite it's potential it has become just a really slow (team-)deathmatch.

Well, the problem is that there is no punishment for being "bad". Unless people form some kind of militia that actively seeks out bandits, and establishes servers where there is legit "law and order", with gun free zones, etc, KOSing will be the thing to do.

I think the problem is the economy. If equipment was worth so much that dying was a real problem, and implements to kill each other so rare (and possibly dangerous, ie, weapons failiure) that harming each other is economically less profitable than engaging in trade, then people KOSing would be stupid.

Something like a global economy across all servers, such as a limit on a certain type of gun. That would mean that in the entire game, only, say, 300 Mosins would exist, no more, no less. Once the crafting is in, maybe broken down guns that need to be assembled. So, finding a gun would ensure you that this particular weapon is out of the economy. One possible result of this would be that people would need to band together to protect whatever valuable equipment they found, because an individual with a rare weapon paints a target on themselves. What also should be eliminated is the possibility to store these weapons in limbo, and if a character dies and doesn't recover their stuff in a certain time, re-cycle their stuff back into the global economy.

The game is unfinished, and the KOS situation will change depending on the changes made to the gameplay. Killing somebody needs to become more expensive than engaging in communication and trade. Artificial means are bad, so I am looking forward to seeing what the team will do with the gameworld and how the players can interact with it to change the situation. No rules, only the world, and human minds trying to figure how to best cope.

• Like 4

There is very little to do in Alpha right now and it's VERY easy to survive.

1) Zombies are no real threat, mostly because they are non-existent. You just ignore them.

2) Server hopping is very fast and without any penalty whatsoever. You can gear up in minutes.

3) Combat logging is instant and without any penalty whatsoever. You simply cannot die unless with one shot.

Add all this together and you'll end up with most players who are now past the "exploration" phase, fighting simple boredom. Some just don't log anymore, some try alternative play-styles and some...well..they just go crazy.

That said:

1) New zombie path-finding, once the buildings paths node are integrated, will be great. Add 1000+ zombies re-spawning on each servers and suddenly it's not so simple to anymore.

2) Having to wait minutes (with risk of death) ever time you try to server hop, will hopefully mitigate the issue somewhat. I REALLY hope they'll go totally bonker on cumulative hops, putting the timer to hours after a couple hops within a certain time-frame.

3) Once you cannot combat log anymore, the risk becomes something more tangible and you'll need to be very careful, especially if it takes a long ass time to gear up.

I also strongly suggest playing on a 1st person only server. This cuts down the problems you mentioned a LOT because most people "going crazy" just cannot handle 1st person, too risky for them usually. Also, if you die, it will not be because some guy just spotted you using 3rd person view over a fence or lying prone atop a tower, it'll be because you failed to see him..

Edited by Mutonizer
  • Like 3

The game is unfinished, and the KOS situation will change depending on the changes made to the gameplay.

yea i really hope they turn it around. basically make zeds/env. enemy nr. 1 and more skill needed for KoS/PvP. my hope remains in the "hardcore version"... we will see

Given time, I'm sure that a lot of the hacks and server hopping will be resolved.

Oh ya no doubt combat logging and such will be fixed over time. KOS needs to be handled with the good ole morality system though, it did its job the first few months the mod came out.

yea i really hope they turn it around. basically make zeds/env. enemy nr. 1 and more skill needed for KoS/PvP. my hope remains in the "hardcore version"... we will see

do you not know what ALPHA is?

Oh ya no doubt combat logging and such will be fixed over time. KOS needs to be handled with the good ole morality system though, it did its job the first few months the mod came out.

No, it really didn't.

I think the handcuffing and hold ups ended when everyone started combat logging if someone spoke to them.

Don't blame the bandits, blame your fellow survivors.

Given the chance to do anything they want to in the realm of human interaction, in a video game, people will default to shooting first and asking no questions, purely because it's the easiest thing to do.

Because frankly, most people playing this game don't really care enough to interact with other people, they just want to grind for gear and go human-hunting, because this is obviously Fallout (no disrespect to Fallout, love that series). You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who actually gives a damn about other players, even if it translates into mugging you. At least there they actually DO something instead of pointing and clicking.

Welcome to DayZ. Everything is out to get you. Even the bushes.

• Like 1

I agree, some more interaction would be appriciated from other players regardless. At least the kill would be funny if it was some sort of interaction..apart from those "just shit my pants" kills where players just get startled and as a reaction pulls the trigger.

I agree, some more interaction would be appriciated from other players regardless. At least the kill would be funny if it was some sort of interaction..apart from those "just shit my pants" kills where players just get startled and as a reaction pulls the trigger.

Exactly, people need to interact more in the game, they need to build up some skill.

I have said it before, your rep should dictate your future gameplay...if you want to be a "D" the live with the consequences of your rep. This should be in the game...and hopefully one day it will be. Clans I hope will have the ability to recruit based on your past behavior...because the way the game stands now its a sandbox of KOS.

• Like 1

Given the chance to do anything they want to in the realm of human interaction, in a video game, people will default to shooting first and asking no questions, purely because it's the easiest thing to do.

Because frankly, most people playing this game don't really care enough to interact with other people, they just want to grind for gear and go human-hunting, because this is obviously Fallout (no disrespect to Fallout, love that series). You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who actually gives a damn about other players, even if it translates into mugging you. At least there they actually DO something instead of pointing and clicking.

Welcome to DayZ. Everything is out to get you. Even the bushes.

Because there is no incentive. The only incentive to make people work together is an economy. No economy, no motivation to work together. Stuff just falls into your hands, or you rob somebody else who did the farming for you. Right now, the game is constructed to actively reward what would elsewhere be described as "griefing".

Opposite example would be a game like EVE, essentially without rules, but the economy and  construction of the game make the players work together because they benefit from it. (People run entire corporations doing nothing but -mining-. Imagine clans in Arma doing nothing but driving ammo or fuel trucks.)

Edit: re reputation: artificially adding a reputation scale is just that, artificial. Some way for players to make themselves recognized is all the game needs. People will make a name for themselves on their own. You see a certain name, and you have an ear on the rumour mills, you will know. At least, that would be the ideal state.

Edited by Instagoat

I'm ready for people to stop complaining about this and set up a safe zone. Just name the server, pick a town, and start your kingdom man, simple as that.

You'll need a perimeter and you will have to enforce your law. You'll need scouts and a system for gathering supplies. Nobody wants to be a worker bee in DayZ right now and I can't say that I blame them. Who does this benefit?

You have to think about it in terms of economics. What are the incentives that you and your "safe zone" can offer? People aren't just going to log on night after night and "man" a guard tower for nothing in return. People want fun engaging excitement. The best outcome would be the more structured battles that would take place between your group and those trying to knock you off your hill. 

The problem is, you have to be extremely organized. I've thought it out a hundred times. It would be so easy for a group of ten or fifteen guys to take and hold the NWAF. I mean the guard towers are right there waiting to be manned. 

Good luck man, let me know if you ever get it going. 

• Like 4

Bandits and KOS will always be a part of this, as it should. I don't KOS, the first player I ever found I became friends with. He was new to the whole thing, never played the MOD. I am actually molding Him now, teaching Him how to interact. He asked me one time what to do if we see armed players, asked if we shot them....I said no.

It is a choice....there are good and bad. I have ran across more Bandits, yes, but because the reasons stated above I think it most of the reason. This is Alpha. There is a lot of stuff missing from when the final product will be available...people tend to get bored and true, there is no real drive to stay alive and be careful like in the MOD yet...

It will all come. I imagine when Private Hives come, vehicles, more gear that is harder to get, smarter zombies and more of them, things will change. Hang in there....

To be honest, what makes this game for people like me, and also other people is the tension of coming across bandits, and there is nothing wrong with killing other players because it's a pvp style of game, whether rocket intended this or not... does the game deem playable when it's only PvE even when the zombies do not pose much of a threat at all? The "Fun" Aspect of the game for many players is being number 1 in the wasteland and that is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong with players killing eachother, infact, people who want to be friendly should go and meet friendlies on forums to play with rather than risking everything they found to die at the hands of another player. If you don't like it, then you should try set up a group for PVE servers and make friendly fire impossible, but if that wants to be playable... there will need to be something like zombie hordes, night time zombie buffs and random forest- zombie spawns to make the game a challange, other than that, the game is going to primarily stay pvp.

I believe KOS culture is critical to the game, I myself like to always approach every situation as 'friendly' but I don't expect others to do the same, I am always ready to shoot back at someone who shoots at me. If there was no KOS mentality, the game would just be a PvE sandbox in which there would be no tension at all. There have already been moves to try and reduce the number of KOS incidents in the SA, the fact that weapons and ammo are harder to find and that items are damaged in the shootout all help, but I feel if we go too far down this road then we will lose the paradigm that makes DAYZ great.

The most fun you usually have is in the gearing up phase, because you are striving to get better stuff, It is then the fear of losing this gear that makes the game exciting. We don't have the fear of zombies that we do of bandits, and without them you may as well play Left 4 Dead or Dead Rising. It is the true human interaction, and its unpredictable nature, that makes DAYZ the greatest gaming experience today.