Sign in to follow this  
SurvivalKitten

How to get friendly with stangers out there? Is it even possible?

I have been playing this game since 31th december now. I got killed so many times by other players because of my lack of experience in this type of game. I killed nobody so far. Either I had not the chance to protect myself from an attacker or I just didn't feel it was right to kill a player who isn't a threat for me.

So I learned one important thing so far:

Don't trust anyone!

But... wait. How am I able to make friends in this game, if I can't trust anyone? I know, it's quite easy to play together with friends you know in real life. If they betray you.... you still know where they are living!  :rolleyes:

So I slowly realize it's quite a challenge to make friends out of strangers. And as we know, friends are essential if you want to survive for a longer time in this game. It's all about trustworthy teamplay.

I already watched groups, who go together and got their tactics. They didn't even see me as a threat, because I had no gun and I was alone. Therefore they accepted me, said "Hello" and just moved on. Thats how I like the game.... thats how I want to play the game. Don't trist anyone but your friends, and always accept others until they are a threat to you.

So please, experienced players, tell your stories how you sucessfully made friends in this game. I want to make friends, too. I want to learn... I want to survive.  :)

you also might consider not taking tactical gear and fancy character cosmetics you find. as an example, you'll be a really tempting target for other players if you run around in shiny military gear.

I have been playing this game since the Steam release date, haven't made a single friend. Early on everyone I tried to talk to or get closer then 20 yards to either attacked and tried to kill me, or ran away thinking I was going to try and kill them. Your best bet is probably to make friends on the forum or within a gaming community/clan and play with them, rather then trying to make friends in-game. At this point I will only play DayZ with people from my gaming community, because everyone else is a ruthless bastard... lol.

I made my first friend in mod as we suspected that admins of our regular server were abusing their tools and we were both raiding their camp so we teamed up.  :)

Second was when i was giving lifts for people from coast to north. I was shot by 2 bandits so this guy picked me up with heli to hunt these guys down rest of the night.

If you find someone who doesn't kos you'll have to earn his trust and the other way around. Share your gear and put greed aside but never give more information than need be.

(your camp,hidden vehicles,stashes etc.)  I'd say it saves you a lot of frustration and lives to not look for friend but let them come to you. If they don't shoot you they have already proved something especially when you have good gear. 

• Like 1

If you want friends, you will need to join an organized clan. We the 81st Rangers are still recruiting! Add [81st] Dealen on steam, and he will help you on from there! :)

My experience has been that the best time to make friends is as a fresh spawn with other fresh spawns. Neither of you has anything to lose, and if you gear up together chances are you'll build some trust.

I have tried to be friendly to new players now I am relatively well equipped (M4, pistol, medkits etc) but unfortunately they all either:

1) Think I am a sneaky bandit and run away without interacting, even when I offer them the precious can opener (a sad symptom of the KoS players, imo).

2) Are a freshly spawned KoS player who madly charges at me, and attempts to knock me out with whatever melee weapon they have available. Walking down the coast attempting to help players I gave out 0 items and killed 5 fresh spawns that attacked me, unprovoked (I carry weapon in hands but lowered and do use a mic), in about 20 minutes.

As Abi said if you want reliable friends, best to join a clan.

Until the zombies are more of a threat I can't see random teamwork becoming a prevalent feature of the game.

• Like 1

You can met good people in-game. 1 year ago (on the mod) I met 3 guys on a chopper, they helped me, they gave me a blood bag. It was a clan. Ever since, it became my friends, and i'm on their clan, and still today i'm playing with thems. I live in Canada and he lives in France. Game friend :)

Thanks for you motivational (and interesting!) posts. =) I guess I will look for a clan, sounds like the best plan for now.

Edit: Where is the best place to watch out for clans? :/

Edited by SurvivalKitten

I made my first friend when we were both new spawns early in the game.  Neither of us had any weapons, so that eased the tension.  I helped provide directions to the north and after spending a couple hours during our first meeting looting every town between Kamenka and Vybor, we've been playing together ever since.

I think it is easier in general to make friends with new spawns.  Especially if you meet slightly inland.  If you really want to make friends, ditch the weaponry.  New spawns have a hard time trusting those with M4s, especially if they have experienced KoS recently or were otherwise messed with.

Edited by RangerFire

Thanks for you motivational (and interesting!) posts. =) I guess I will look for a clan, sounds like the best plan for now.

Edit: Where is the best place to watch out for clans? :/

Here! I'm sure there is a thread just for that purpose. Try hitting "clan" into the search bar, there should be something.