fig0451

Idea: Ammo Handloading

YES YES YES.

Even though it may not be used much, I can see this as a "why not" kind of feature. But, because of that, I say implement it after all the important shit is fixed.

Totally agree with this.

I would make the recommendation of reducing the potential find ratio for ammunition, but adding components to create ammunition such as empty shell casings (used/unprimed/primed), primers, projectiles and propellant. Furthermore, adding a hand press & dies to craft ammunition would be awesome.  Serious survival with firearms component that would make this game stand out above the rest. :)

I'm pretty sure it's called reloading.

Think it would be a great addition though.

Reloading is what you do to a firearm when it is out of ammunition. Handloading is what you do to create cartridges away from a mass-produced assembly line.

Edited by Shadow Six

Totally agree with this.

I would make the recommendation of reducing the potential find ratio for ammunition, but adding components to create ammunition such as empty shell casings (used/unprimed/primed), primers, projectiles and propellant. Furthermore, adding a hand press & dies to craft ammunition would be awesome.  Serious survival with firearms component that would make this game stand out above the rest. :)

Reloading is what you do to a firearm when it is out of ammunition. Handloading is what you do to create cartridges away from a mass-produced assembly line.

LOL no not that kind of reloading.

Here in Texas, making your own ammo is called reloading, not to be mistaken by putting ammo in your gun.

Why wouldn't lead work?

Technically, it does, but for several reasons, its far from desirable.

First is that it DOES mush. I've seen it happen, mainly in AR and AK type rifles. Pistols seem to work fine.

Secound is that the lead melts and rubs off into the barrel every time you fire it. It gets worse with higher velocities, so it may not have much effect with a 9mm but would destroy a .5.56 or especially a 7.62

But really, in-game it seems like a giant waste of time, both implementing and useing.

So you get all the tools, bullet, primer, casing, powder, ect. You spend an hour getting everything. Then what? You get >1< Bullet when you could find 50 at Pusta.

Furthermore, not very many people have reloading supplies lieing around, especially for guns firing cheap surplus Soviet 7.62x54 and the soon to be penny o' dozen .22s. Most people only reload for rare/expensive ammo, like .44, .303, .30-60, or when they want to make "Hybrid" ammo with different velocities or shit.

By the state of Chernarus as we left it in Arma, i'de say people have guns to put food on the table, not spend hours reloading.

• Like 1

Would make sense to me, after a short while you won't be able to find fresh bullets and it will be all down to reloading with more or less success.

I'm not sure you should care that much about mucking your gun or barrel fouling, even with corrosive ammunition... i mean this is a survival situation, get a new gun if the first one stop working. And if you can't use it with the ammo you can make, what good is a gun to you?

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Would make sense to me, after a short while you won't be able to find fresh bullets and it will be all down to reloading with more or less success.

I'm not sure you should care that much about mucking your gun or barrel fouling, even with corrosive ammunition... i mean this is a survival situation, get a new gun if the first one stop working. And if you can't use it with the ammo you can make, what good is a gun to you?

You'd run out of powder and primers before you ran out of bullets.

Ever been to a big gun store? They usually have crates of 5.56, 7.62x39/54, 9mm, and shelves of .22 lieing around while maybe 4 types of cartridges to reload.

And as i said, i doubt many people reload outside the US, aand especially not in Chernarus.

Can I put salt in my shotgun shells?

Or replace the pellets with a bit of rag to start a fire (assuming that man vs wild type survival becomes a much bigger deal). And, oh yeah, Norris you sick bastard...

EDIT: although to be fair not the sickest bastard in this community by a million miles...

[...]

At the very least, it would be nice if premium ammo was required to get the best accuracy out of rifles.

[...]

Never ever! No "premium" shit in this game.

to those people on about cast lead projectiles not feeding properly and becoming deformed, there is an easy way around that and that's to put your own copper jacket on the round, but I don't know if its practical or to in depth for the game.

What you do is you suspend the rounds in a copper sulphate + distilled water solution, then through electrophoresis, which is basically passing a current through the lot, negative on the round, positive in the solution (i think its that way round, could be wrong) the copper in the copper sulphate will coat the round after about 10 - 15 mins, it doesn't add to the diameter of the round, and if you pass it through a lubri-sizer and add a gas check, it will work just as well as a properly made round.

Like I said, maybe to in depth for the game, but it is still possible to add in, in a dumped down way.

Never ever! No "premium" shit in this game.

I think you're misinterpreting the use of the word "premium" here. He's talking about carefully manufactured ammunition that is held to careful tolerances and thus produces superior consistency and accuracy. The more common term for this is "match" ammunition, as in good enough to be used in competition shooting, or matches.

to those people on about cast lead projectiles not feeding properly and becoming deformed, there is an easy way around that and that's to put your own copper jacket on the round, but I don't know if its practical or to in depth for the game.

What you do is you suspend the rounds in a copper sulphate + distilled water solution, then through electrophoresis, which is basically passing a current through the lot, negative on the round, positive in the solution (i think its that way round, could be wrong) the copper in the copper sulphate will coat the round after about 10 - 15 mins, it doesn't add to the diameter of the round, and if you pass it through a lubri-sizer and add a gas check, it will work just as well as a properly made round.

Like I said, maybe to in depth for the game, but it is still possible to add in, in a dumped down way.

Electroplating is fairly complicated compared to the usual method of bullet production, which is swaging and annealing. Copper jackets are cold formed (swaged) and then annealed as necessary resoften the metal (copper and brass work harden, so you need to anneal it between some steps to keep it from splitting). Once you have the jackets you just press in the lead core and do any final forming such as the ogive if it is a base forward formed jacket.

Another alternative is to make cast lead bullets and crimp on a gas check. Gas checks are small copper cups attached to the base of the bullet that keep the hot gases from eroding the base of the bullet, or cutting around/through one side of the bullet which would result in severe lead deposits in the barrel (this happens primarily when you try to push the velocity of cast lead above a certain point.) One easy source for crude gas checks would be to cut up old soda cans and use a circular punch to stamp out discs of aluminum, and then use a punch and cup to stamp them into shape.

Finally, a century old tech to improve simple cast lead bullets is ye olde paper patch. Doesn't get much more field expedient than that as it was being actively practiced on the American frontier in the 1870's.

Some helpful videos on the personal manufacture of bullets and the use of cast lead in a modern rifle cartridge.

For a full cycle of field expedient player made ammunition components I'd suggest the following:

Bullets: made from cast lead that can be recovered from numerous places, large batteries, wheel weights, old piping, et.

Bullet gas checks or jackets (necessary for higher velocity rifle cartridges): can be made from copper tubing, spent .22LR cases, aluminum soda cans, etc.

Black powder propellant: made from charcoal, sulfur and potassium nitrate (salt peter) each of which can be easily obtained or made.

Primer: Again the cups can be recycled old primers or stamped out similar to the gas checks, only smaller. Actual compound to load them would be fulminate of mercury (mercury itself obtained from things such as old thermostat switches) which has been made since the year 1800.

Casing: Reused old casings. I'd suggest there be a chance of loss of a portion of the cases during resizing unless annealed first. Cases work harden from the action of being fired. An unannealed case could be expected to last 4-5 reloading cycles while annealed cases have lasted 20+ times.

Edited by Land Squid