Dayzryan

What is going on!?!? (fps issue)

I have no idea what's going on with my frames per second!

When I look straight down at the ground or up to the sky, my fps maxes out at 75 (that's my monitors max) which of course is VERY VERY playable. Then, when I level it out so I'm looking around normally, regardless of where I am, be it Chernobyl/electro, a small town like Balota or in the woods, my fps is ALWAYS between 20-30 fps per second and when it's in the low twenties I really hate the stutter.

I believe I have no fps limiter set, I've changed my settings countless times, even over clocked my MSI GTX 650 TI 1GB graphics card and STILL the same fps. WHY IS THIS?!?!

Basically, I want to know why it's always between 20-30 and not anything else regardless of my settings.

Edited by Dayzryan

Hey I play the mod with 10 to 15 fps at almost all times and standalone at 20 and I don't complain :/

Infact your complaining about this when the average human eye can see only around 30, I believe (I don't research everything for long hours!)

also +1 to what AlphaX said, You should get used to that many frames. Dayz likes them Alot!

Edited by cheez117

Welcome to the world of DayZ. FPS drops in towns are normal due to many objects wich get rendered/loaded. It will get better when its more optimised, but things like that are just a part of an alpha. Be happy that its nothing worse, and 20-30 FPS is still playable.

PS: Its Chernogorsk, not Chernobyl.

Edited by AlphaX
  • Like 1

It's quite simple they haven't done any client side optimizations yet, only server stuff. Give it time. 

(btw You're computer doesn't have to do any work when looking up at the sky or down at the ground)

Hey I play the mod with 10 to 15 fps at almost all times and standalone at 20 and I don't complain :/

Infact your complaining about this when the average human eye can see only about 29?

Human eye = 60 

Infact your complaining about this when the average human eye can see only about 29?

I fucking hate whatever God damned idiot tricked the Internet into thinking the human eye sees in frames for second. *facepalm*

• Like 5

I fucking hate whatever God damned idiot tricked the Internet into thinking the human eye sees in frames for second. *facepalm*

Guess your just the smartest person on the world, and have a science major? OK so why do some scientists even talk about it that way?!

also +1 to what AlphaX said, get used to that many frames.

The human eye can tell up to 60 fps nothing better get your facts straight moron. 

Edited by Inception.

Welcome to the world of DayZ. FPS drops in towns are normal due to many objects wich get rendered/loaded. It will get better when its more optimised, but things like that are just a part of an alpha. Be happy that its nothing worse, and 20-30 FPS is still playable.

PS: Its Chernogorsk, not Chernobyl.

Yeah haha sorry, autocorrect did that!

Basically, I want to know why it's always between 20-30 and not anything else regardless of my settings.

Go to Youtube, type in "Dayz standalone" and watch the first video.  In the first few minutes the guy shows his video settings.  I copied his exactly and my frames instantly became infinitely better and the game runs smoother all around as a whole

Read up on settings optimisation for ArmA 2 if you haven't done before. There are certain things that can help your frames a lot. For example video memory should always be set to auto/default otherwise it will cap the amount used. There are a few more but I wouldn't be able to tell you without reading up on it! Hope this helps!!

This is false. http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ Please tell me that 30 FPS looks the same as 60.

EDIT:

The human eye can tell up to 60 fps nothing better get your facts straight moron. 

This is false as well, if you have a 120 Hertz monitor, you can definitely tell the diffrence between 60 and 120 FPS.

---

Moron.

You saw that coming, right?

Edited by SonicRainbrony
  • Like 2

So you know, I may not know it's 100% completely right fact and you think i do research for 500 hours on it to know its right and call me a moron? thanks for being so rude, apparently you expect everyone to know it?

No personal insults.

• Like 3

This is false. http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ Please tell me that 30 FPS looks the same as 60.

EDIT:

This is false as well, if you have a 120 Hertz monitor, you can definitely tell the diffrence between 60 and 120 FPS.

---

Moron.

You saw that coming, right?

actually yes they look the same.

actually yes they look the same.

Well... No, they clearly don't.

fps.gif

Edited by SonicRainbrony
  • Like 1

Well... No, they clearly don't.

then maybe my eyes are messed up or something. they literately look the same to me. I see what the site is trying to do tho.

looked at your edit, seriously they look the same to me still :S

Edited by cheez117

then maybe my eyes are messed up or something. they literately look the same to me. I see what the site is trying to do tho.

Perhaps you have a really low refresh rate set for your monitor?

EDIT: This illustrates the difference perfectly, I'm sorry for the huge posts due to the gifsiuHMClLCinzEh.gif

Edited by SonicRainbrony

What I don't understand is why people are so obsessed over fps in a game like this? I've played mine with max settings and get 30-50 FPS. Turn all settings to low and I get 50-80fps.

Even though I got an FPS jump, I didn't see anything different gameplay-wise. I just saw my graphics turn to crap. If you're getting ~30fps, then stop complaining. This isn't CoD or BF4. You don't need uber fps.

You don't see massive fps numbers because this is an older game engine. You don't need them anyway. Stop complaining.

The USAF conducted studies where they flashed an image of a plane in a dark room and asked their pilots to identify what they saw. They were able to correctly tell them what they were seeing down to 1/220 of a second. That means if you played a movie at 220 fps and inserted a single frame, these guys could tell the difference. The human eye doesn't see anything in fps, its a continual stream of information where high speed items get blurred because we can't consciously separate every micro second of what we are seeing. That being said, 30 fps is not unplayable or even outside of perfectly fine to the vast majority of people who haven't convinced themselves they need more. If the game was able to somehow show you something more at 120 fps than at 30 I would think you could make an argument for being pissed when you don't get 120 but it doesn't. Its not that the image is or isn't smoother but whether or not anything in game is moving fast enough to worry about what's happening in that 1/30 of a second time frame.  

• Like 2

Perhaps you have a really low refresh rate set for your monitor?

EDIT: This illustrates the difference perfectly, I'm sorry for the huge posts due to the gifsiuHMClLCinzEh.gif

alright thanks, I see the line showing the difference but that is really small difference to my eyes I guess. No idea why the ball motions are the same, also refresh rate is on normal for my moniter.

Also realized all this may have derailed the origininal posters post, sorry about that sir!

Edited by cheez117

the average human eye can see only around 30, I believe (Please stop calling me a moron and stuff for this! I didn't do 500 hours of research!)

also +1 to what AlphaX said, get used to that many frames.

Inc complaint....

Sir I damn well know the difference between 30 fps and around 40+

The game runs smoother....

Your eyes don't see in Frames per second, i don't know what fool made you think that. Your eyes only register the highest Hertz the monitor refresh rate goes up to, if you have a 60Hz Monitor, your eyes wont register any more than 60FPS in a game, simply because the Monitor cannot keep up with it. If you have a 120Hz Monitor, you can see 120FPS, it depends on the refresh rate. When seeing moving objects in real life, you don't register them in FPS because simply, the atmosphere doesn't have a refresh rate, if your eyes were capped at 60FPS, human reaction times would be drastically slowed down to the point were you can only register a punch coming at you etc.. at 60 Frames. The human eye an see upto the speed of light, if it's physically visible. Your eyes reflect light to see objects around you, if you could see past the speed of light, the object would appear dark until the light reached your eyes, which would take a fraction of a second.  

It's funny how this thread turned from a low FPS to how humans perceive frames per second.

• Like 2

It's funny how this thread turned from a low FPS to how humans perceive frames per second.

Humans don't perceive frames per second lol