Sign in to follow this  
needlessthing

Somethings need to change

I would like to say I am enjoing the game so far. Great Idea and so far I am happy with most of it.

There are a few things that I can see that need to be changed. Aside from the glitches and bugs.

First I would like to state that I understand the desire for a realistic zombie survival game. And some of my suggestions might seem to take away from that realism but lets face it. As real as you might like it to be it is still a video game and needs some mechanic to force some more "friendly behavior"

Something needs to be changed about the KOSing. The Bandit has all the advantage and there is very few incentives to not killing every survivor you come across.

Currently the game mechanics give the Bandit all the advantages.

There is not bullet physics that I can see. ( zero bullet drop) don't tell me there is because I have sniped zombies from ridiculous distances with no problem.

Something needs to be done with server jumping. I was attacked by a group of bandits and they server jumped across the field I was defending. ( they logged off the server I was on logged on another server to run across the field then logged back on to the server I was on to kill me now that they were closer.)

Zero to no muzzle flash. Can not tell where you are being sniped from. Plus no long distance shot sounds.

Now I understand that game is super new and in alpha release. But if something isn't done your player base is going to fall off and the game will be left to the griefers and trolls as the players that want to have fun will become frustrated and annoyed.

Now I know in a real world survival situation death by other survivors is a real threat so the realism needs to be there in that aspect but sense this is a video game and there is no real threat of repercussions or moral dilemma. Some sorta mechanic needs to be put in place to counter that.

Kill point system - more players you kill the more points you earn (that follow you from server to server) and not good points.

NPC traders that only have items you can get from them and refuse to trade with people with to many kill points.

NPC bounty hunters - that give positive points to players for hunting down people with neg points. Or randomly spawns a hit squad near a player with do many neg points.

Only way to reduce neg points is to hunt down other player killers or through healing other player and helping them in other ways.

• Like 2

This game never worked as a zombie survival , it might have done in the early days , but once the kiddies, griefers and trolls realised it was EASIER to just kill random players (and more fun for their retarded intelligence), that's what we got.  Bandits use Zeds as a player presence identifier and also as a distraction to keep the survivor busy while the bandit gets that headshot lined up.  There is zero talent or skill in being a bandit and they'll scream blue murder at you that this is what Dayz is all about, killing other players.. Then they'll come with the "or it'll just be boring as shit" argument, which is another cue pointing at their low attention spans.  This game is ruined and you can thank the douche bag PVP'rs for that, they'll not go away and they'll keep insisting this game HAS ALWAYS been about PVP , not zombie survival. There are some better titles in alpha right now, just do a search on Steam, which is why Rocket and his team pushed the their alpha so quickly, think about it, that's all I'm saying.. 

I have given up on my server to be honest. Even added tanks and a magic box menu option, removed the pvp rules and said "do what you like" .. Once the subscription ends I'll be saying goodbye to DayZ for good.  I'm not the only one, there are thousands of people who hate where DayZ has ended up today, but not everyone is willing to say their bit and risk being flamed :p 

Happy New Year.

Peace. 

why no NPC? how about a suggestion otherwise?

I think a point system and a couple NPC will add a lot to the game. and help balance out the griefer to friendly ratio out nicely.

urbanskaters I agree with you. I really do like the game and the atmosphere but the game would be amazing if it wasn't for the other players. The PVP thing is way to much. It wouldn't be so bad if you had a fighting chance but with server hoping and no bullet drop the machanics are there for Gankers haven.

and they cant call it realistic because in a real survival situation killing everyone you meet would make surviving impossible. If not, a very lonely life. Something needs to be done and done fast or support for this game is going to drop off very fast.

Stop doing all this suggestions about why the game isnt completed yet, you even wrote it down that you know its alpha and so on so just WAIT till they do something about the problems. This game had its alpha release just a couple of weeks ago dude. WEEKS. Did you realise that there are only like 3 guns in the game right now? Nothing is balanced, everything about the servers is unfinished, bugs and stuff everywhere. And they need to do all this things, one by one. And they WILL do it. You just need to wait till its done and dont tell them to do it because they know so fking good that they need to.

And if you just search for NPCs in this forums you get the answer insant: No NPCs!

Also cant say this enough times: What Dean wants is players reacting on players. Not on NPCs. Not on scores. Not on "Bandit-Points" or whatever.

• Like 3

the game is alpha and I know that. I am also aware that it is only a few weeks out. BUT this is the suggestion section. They obviously want input from players. And despite the game only being a few weeks old...how old is the DAYZ Mod? It is well known from past players of the mod that the ganking is out of hand. Player reaction? It is suppose to be a zombie survival game not a crap your pants everytime you see a player game. I don't even offer help anymore cause as soon as you help someone out or get them started they put an axe in your head to take the little extra you have. There HAS to be a balance...you cant even avenge yourself or kill the offending player cause they now have a massive advantage over you. Sense you respawn with nothing. If you want a PVP game, fine...don't take my gear and let me chase don't the bastard that killed me. You want a survival game? Then make those that wish to be bandits have to pay for it in some way. If you don't then this game will never become what it should and will dwindle away to a few thousand players who are most likely trollers that arnt willing to shell out a cent to improve it.

There's an excellent point here.  Bandit's are a part of the game; however the game does not promote teamplay or cooperation with others which would be ideally necessary for survival.  The fact that there are so many trolls/griefers ruins the main point of the game's intent.  Most people who purchase the game would like the game to function as intended.  Based off the input of friends and some of the responses in these forums, the vast amount of KOS/Trolling seems it would deter new players from purchasing the game or cause many quality supporters to leave.  This type of griefing gameplay is attractive to immature kids-- seriously.  The first poster brought up a good suggestion about bandits and the reprucssions for being one; however I have my own suggestion to make based upon the replies in this thread.

A negative kill point system seems like it may be a good implementation.  People who have killed a certain amount of players within a given time (determined by the devs) would be on a blacklist/bounty list.  When a player who has been listed as a bounty (by the negative point kill system parameters) enters a server, all players will be notfied and the bandit's name will appear in some corner of the screen.

Once the bandit is in the server, here's some personal suggestions-

A. If you click their name on the screen, either a picture of how they currently pops up, or a list of what they're wearing comes up.  *Note* it does not give away the bandit's position, but does raise awareness to other players that if they see this person in the description he is fair game. No negative points will be accrued for killing him.

B. The ability to vote kick the known bandit out of the server once they enter. *Note* the vote kick can only be initiated on the determined bandits from the negative point system.

Possible rewards:  If your personal kill points on other players is too high for whatever reason, killing a bountied player would decrease your negative points.  It could also force bandit/trolls to kill eachother to get their negative points down.  The other option is possibly a loot spawn bonus, if that could be worked out somehow.

The options do not remove the griefer/troll/KOS-ers, however it decreases their chance of survival-- which would hold true to a known bandit in a survival situation.  I understand the game is in alpha, so I hope the devs take this into account in future updates to hold on to a quality player-base.

Edited by hvc

would be cool if you could stick up wanted posters or something, that had information such as 'last seen wearing' or 'last seen in.....' and the information would update through people tagging the bandit when seen or something like that

Could stick them up in supermarkets, or churches

Edited by cheekychimp

would be cool if you could stick up wanted posters or something, that had information such as 'last seen wearing' or 'last seen in.....' and the information would update through people tagging the bandit when seen or something like that

Could stick them up in supermarkets, or churches

atm there are too few clothes items, everyone wears the same in their late game

atm there are too few clothes items, everyone wears the same in their late game

agreed but might work in the future...

Stop doing all this suggestions about why the game isnt completed yet, you even wrote it down that you know its alpha and so on so just WAIT till they do something about the problems. This game had its alpha release just a couple of weeks ago dude. WEEKS. Did you realise that there are only like 3 guns in the game right now? Nothing is balanced, everything about the servers is unfinished, bugs and stuff everywhere. And they need to do all this things, one by one. And they WILL do it. You just need to wait till its done and dont tell them to do it because they know so fking good that they need to.

And if you just search for NPCs in this forums you get the answer insant: No NPCs!

Also cant say this enough times: What Dean wants is players reacting on players. Not on NPCs. Not on scores. Not on "Bandit-Points" or whatever.

Can't agree more, your common sense should be enough to differ whether 'x' player wants to kill you or not, use VOIP and you can tell by the way they speak. If it's not enough, some real life experience is lacking :(

• Like 1

Im too lazy to quote right now so I just write down a little text based on what ive read here.

Yes, it is a zomb-survival. BUT. Dean said it all the time: players are the real threat. You have to talk to them, hide from them or shoot them to zero the danger of getting killed. Nothing like a wanted list so you know who wants to kill you. No vote-kick for bandits (I mean.. srsly?!). If you add these things to the game you destroy the whole meaning of the DayZ game.

The idea from cheekychimp on the other hand is more like the "DayZ-style". Besides just leaving notes on the ground you could stick a post on a wall, maybe with the picture of his most conspicuous clothes or something.

And I have to underline what axtranti said. I play with my charakter for more then 2 weeks now playing almost every day. I play on a server with usualy 25-35 players. In this whole "life" I never killed a person on sight. I encounterd bands of people who reacted friendly to me after talking to them. Ive hidden from groups of people that looked hostile (masks, clearly military-clothed). I saved poor bambies. I even spared the life of some hostile players simply because i thought they just paniced.

If you just watch your environment and the players around you you can stay alive without being an asshole or playing on empty servers.

Edited by Symon

I find it funny that some of you say that KOS is normal play of the game. I understand that the real threat is from players. BUT they should also be the biggest asset in the game that is about survival. I am not asking for player killing to be taken out. But make the incentive for team play more attractive (other then to help each other kill more people). I keep hearing the line "in a real survival situation" If the level of ganking in this gamed was in the real world the human race would have failed in the years we lived in caves. Humans need other people to survive that is the bottom line. All I am asking is something be put into the game to balance out the desire to kill and loot. And the getting killed by a panic or fear is one thing. But the decked out guy sniping anything that moves in Chrono is just deranged. There is no realism.

Even if you increase the zombies and make it so no way he can get down without fighting a hoard of dead. He can just server hop. Go to a low pop server resupply and pop back into his sniping spot. Hell I was defending a group of friends in chrono playing lookout on a roof. A bandit took some shots at me but couldn't hit me...5 mins later he had server logged....walked to my position on another server...and then logged back in right next to me and shot me. Yeah that is real life!! come on...the only people defending this game play is griefers and trollers. You want a game that is kill or be killed that is all fine and dandy but make it fair play.

You are right on one but wrong on the other hand. Why do (or lets say did in Stone Age) people need each other? Beause the world was dangerous. So what do we need to stop people killing each other so fast? More threats. What will be implemented in the future? More threats. The devs want to change something about the KoS but not with some bad scripts or a system but with realistic stuff to force them to do less KoS because it will bring the danger of killing themselves with it.

Example: Zombies in forests, maybe zombie bands wandering though forests. You shoot someone in a forest, maybe there is even a village around. Some random zombies from the village and some "country zombies" are attracted and walk slowly towards the noise. But above all there was a zombie band walking near by and they all heard the shots, now wandering that direction. The bandits loots his victim and when he wants to leave there are zombies all over the place so he has to shoot some of them and then try to escape. So: he loses more ammo wich will be much more rare in the future as there are more weapons and it will be harder to find the fitting type of ammo. Maybe he hasnt enough rounds and on his escape he will get injured.

See? All this stuff will make it much harder to just kill random people without getting drawbacks and will decrease the KoS.

Do something about the bloated loot tables or remove the loot from airfield entirely, and you alleviate the kos problem to some degree.

You are right on one but wrong on the other hand. Why do (or lets say did in Stone Age) people need each other? Beause the world was dangerous. So what do we need to stop people killing each other so fast? More threats. What will be implemented in the future? More threats. The devs want to change something about the KoS but not with some bad scripts or a system but with realistic stuff to force them to do less KoS because it will bring the danger of killing themselves with it.

Example: Zombies in forests, maybe zombie bands wandering though forests. You shoot someone in a forest, maybe there is even a village around. Some random zombies from the village and some "country zombies" are attracted and walk slowly towards the noise. But above all there was a zombie band walking near by and they all heard the shots, now wandering that direction. The bandits loots his victim and when he wants to leave there are zombies all over the place so he has to shoot some of them and then try to escape. So: he loses more ammo wich will be much more rare in the future as there are more weapons and it will be harder to find the fitting type of ammo. Maybe he hasnt enough rounds and on his escape he will get injured.

See? All this stuff will make it much harder to just kill random people without getting drawbacks and will decrease the KoS.

then people will hatchet each other or punch themselves to death.

You CANT stop trolls and griefers with indirect measures, trust me, they always find a way to get past that.

Edited by lipemr

then people will hatchet each other or punch themselves to death.

You CANT stop trolls and griefers with indirect measures, trust me, they always find a way to get past that.

Well DayZ is not the peeke-pony puddingfarm, killing each other is also one part of the game. And if you ban all the PvP from DayZ you could simply throw it away.

Well DayZ is not the peeke-pony puddingfarm, killing each other is also one part of the game. And if you ban all the PvP from DayZ you could simply throw it away.

Banning all PvP wasn't stated.  What was suggested was, an implementation of a system that would force less KOS/griefing and encourage better interaction with others.  The only way you could defend this KOS/griefing is if you are one of those doing it or you're just totally oblivious.  Humans rely on social interaction, it's a fact.  The fact that "in a survival situation" is used so much is because it holds true in any aspect of your life.  Work teams, projects, the military, etc. Teamwork always wields greater results and it's always encouraged for a reason. The gameplay needs to promote this path.

Edited by hvc

As I said, I never KoS and I help survivors where I can, but I want my DayZ experience without mercy, and unnecessary scripts. And please, votekicking players because they are bandits is about the same as banning PvP, dont tell me shit.

But suddenly you say somethings thats exactly what I want: ""Teamwork always wields greater results and it's always encouraged for a reason."

First part: greater results

Second part: encouraged for a reason

So yes, there should be some benefits for not killing everyone on your sight but Im talking about something that makes sense, that would apply to a real situation. There should be reasons that encourage players to not KoS but interact, communicate.

you want to get down to brass tax? In an end of the world situation the greatest threat will always be other humans. BUT like stated they will also be the biggest asset. Remaining humans after the dust settles will try to build a new community to assure security and mutual survival. 3 people can build a structure, vehicles, or farm a field while defending each other better then one person can. Right now there are 2 forms of team work team in Dayz...teaming up to hunt for gear and to be a bandit team. The first almost always leads to a bandit group forming. Where is the community aspect? I know it is alpha but all the stuff on the table right now is guns ammo and more guns....oh and some bugs. How about player build safe houses? Trading posts? All of which cant be used if you have to many player kills......ANYTHING to turn the tables from pure ganking to a balance of environmental survive and survival of the "who has the biggest gun and best hiding spot". Even if it were a pure PVP style game it would be a horrible one at that....there is no gun physics. No bullet drop....muzzle flash....no long distance shot sounds. You ever fire a ar-15 in real life? The sound can be heard for miles in open area....the sonic boom from the round alone is enough be heard for miles. And you cant silence an ar-15 unless you use subsonic rounds and even then...you have manually cycle the gun. Yet when I get shot at from across a field all I hear is rounds hitting concrete or windows. Every aspect of the game right now favors the trolls....so as stated SOMETHING need to be put to balance it out....if I wanted to play a FPS then I would go play one. I want a zombie survival game. If this one doesn't change its tune in the coming months..then they will not get another cent from my bank account. I am not going to support something that gives every advantage to trolls and griefers.

pvp and trolling/griefing are two VERY, veeery different things.

As it is now, EVERY player interaction is resumed to you killing him or him killing you, as everybody's tired of getting killed by some troll or getting murdered as fresh spawn by some dick with an m4 and a ton of bullets product of server hopping.

The PvP is what makes the game what it is, but the excess of pvp is what ruins the game, it totally breaks the immersion... 

I really don't get all this argument about KOS, PVP etc. I play the game I get up north go to the Airfield tool up and get shot just as I head out, there goes 30 - 45 mins of game time. Or I get shot as a new spawn, in which vase boo hoo start again. But this normally happens because I'm not cautions enough or mincing about too long in one place that's a hotspot for loot. Only rarely is it a problem if I'm out in the woods. So really what's the beef? Work out where to go that less people use and learn how to move exposing yourself as little as possible. When I do these things my character lasts for days if not weeks.

When I play I often get shot, but you can talk your way out of some situations if you give it a go. Some will still shoot, but thems the breaks you can't stop that. I kill people to get gear sometimes sure, other times if I can see they're Bambies or clearly new to the game (cycling into the middle of Cherno or something) I'll let em be. The point is it's freedom to an extent, I don't think the game should be geared toward cooperation other then the fact it has benefits (i.e. protection from other people). Look at the Walking dead, when one group meets another the tension goes through the roof. That's how it's meant to be and you can't have that without an element of danger.

I realy dont get what you all want. I am talking exactly about these things, adding more stuff to the game where you need to have more that just yourself or your 2 mates you are allways playing with. And Im getting realy tired of telling you its a Alpha and this things need some time to make it into the game. Things so you can create a trading post more easily, basebuilding, hunting, vehicles and so on. More content -> more teamplay. Also as the game developes there will be more people who play DayZ the roleplay-style (the way DayZ is ment to be played) and also roleplay servers. But right now you cant hate on the game for not having all the possibilities to make the world seem alive.

• Like 1

so basically what we all hope for is more shit to do.... which i am 100% sure will be delivered as the alpha develops. You know what i think would help? being able to learn skills out of all those books that seem to spawn, then being able to pass on that knowledge in some form