Sign in to follow this  
tingkagol

DayZ End-Game: PvE or PvP?

After having fully geared my toon after several playthroughs, I think I can't play this game (at its current state) without resorting to PvP. Zombies are fun to kill, yes, but with the (current) low zombie population, there isn't much left to do but go back to the coast and/or cities and engage in PvP with fresh spawns and veterans. What's the point of banding together anyway in the current state of the game? The survival aspect is easily achieved playing solo, so forming groups serves no purpose but to increase your chances of surviving against other survivors, bandits, groups, etc ---- NOT ZOMBIES (which makes me wonder what makes this game any different from a standard multiplayer shooter). So I think I'll give this game a rest until an update rolls in. But, ok, it's still in alpha so a lot of this will change in future updates (hopefully).

I've been thinking a lot about this game's end-game though. I've played the mod and the SA and always felt the end-game is leaning more towards PvP. It's something I'm not too excited about since PvP is essentially what other shooters have been doing for as long as I could remember.

So I propose the end-game should be more PvE based.

I understand the PvP route is much easier for devs since each encounter with another player is unique in itself, while the PvE route is a lot harder to develop since players will more likely get bored killing 1 zombie after the other. And I don't think it's as easy as increasing the zombie count. It would definitely require a lot of variety. But I do believe IF PvE is developed in such a way cooperation among survivors is encouraged, this game would be perfect.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Edited by tingkagol

I am for hardcore PVE as well, tons of zombies, smart zombies and surviving in a team. PVP should be still a factor but I think it should be like 75% / 25%

PvE or PvP?

Whichever you want! Probably a bit of both if you want to stay alive.

I think I can't play this game (at its current state) without resorting to PvP.

Okay. Is that a bad thing? You should be resorting to PvP all the time when you play. It's an integral part of the game and critical to your survival. Personally I wouldn't wait around until you're "fully geared" to engage other players, because that leaves you vulnerable for a long time.

there isn't much left to do but go back to the coast and/or cities and engage in PvP with fresh spawns and veterans.

There are plenty of other places you can go to find players.

So I think I'll give this game a rest until an update rolls in.

What? I thought you just said you were going to PvP. Now you're quitting? Make up your mind, son.

I've played the mod and the SA and always felt the end-game is leaning more towards PvP.

That's because it is. That's the plan. It always has been. Dean said from Day 1 that DayZ is a game about experimenting with how players treat each other when faced with difficult and uncomfortable decisions. That's PvP in a nutshell. Yes, you might group up with folks, but the main reason you're going to group up is to survive other groups of players who will want your beans.

It's something I'm not too excited about since PvP is essentially what other shooters have been doing for as long as I could remember.

If you're not too excited about PvP, then definitely give DayZ a very long break. Like, forever.

As for "other shooters" and "as long as [you can] remember" I'm going to call a big fat giant pile of bullshit. There's never been a PvP game like DayZ before. That's what made it so successful in the first place.

Propose whatever you want. It's going to remain a mix of the two with an emphasis on PvP.

But I do believe if PvE is developed in such a way cooperation among survivors is encouraged, this game would be perfect.

Cooperation among survivors is already encouraged. For both PvE and PvP both.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

It's settled pvp servers for hardcore bandits and PVE for Care bears.. KOS solved ;)

I would love to see us eventually retake towns in some fashion. Defend the town from zombie hordes and other rival towns. Good mix of pvp and pve.

Here's something to ponder for those who've played the mod and the SA:

After gearing up, count how many times you've died at the hands of other players.

Now count how many times you've died at the hands of zombies.

Edited by tingkagol

Do I need to be lv75 with Draconic armour to fight the end-game zombie boss!?

* Don't worry, I'll grab plenty of S-Grade soul-shots.

Im with you one this.

Really nothing to do but get some target practice in.

Waiting for vehicles and server hopping/combat log fix.

Only way to steer the game away from PvP is to make players have a reason not to shoot at each other.

In other words, make the environment more of a threat than actual players.  PvP does get pretty boring, mowing down less coordinated squads is all too easy.

• Like 1

Yeah as suggested, maybe looking into something like end game bosses for unique loot could be fun, like, you take the boat out to an island for an instance battle. (i know it sounds bad, but it could actually be pretty fun)

Edit: Like, killing floor? i dunno, just suggestions.

Edited by Mazzar

Cooperation among survivors is already encouraged. For both PvE and PvP both.

Cooperation, currently, is more a choice than a need.

Well lets hope pve becomes a part of the game with a balance with pvp. Sadly in the mod and current SA its cod with people spawn camping the coast lol.

Just not sure how they'd make the game more PvE, unless they buff the zombies (or add more types, etc etc).  Or other ways of encouraging cooperation rather than deathmatch.

Gotta be some middleground so it doesn't become World of Zedcraft.

Just not sure how they'd make the game more PvE

Find 6,000 mouth-breathers who think the only alternative to PvE is "deathmatch" and stuff them all on a server together. "Problem" solved.

Zombies will get more dangerous and their numbers will increase in the future. That'll mean that you can't just shoot people without having at least a mini horde on your ass. More zombies will encourage cooperation.

Also if you ever think this game is going to be about PVE, you have clearly bought the wrong game and should post your rage quit thread now.

Zombies will get more dangerous and their numbers will increase in the future. That'll mean that you can't just shoot people without having at least a mini horde on your ass. More zombies will encourage cooperation.

Also if you ever think this game is going to be about PVE, you have clearly bought the wrong game and should post your rage quit thread now.

More zombies won't encourage cooperation.  I wouldn't seek out random people to cooperate with.

It'll make you less likely to shoot at people, but that's about it.  If in a squad of 4 though, that doesn't really matter.  Just shoot them, shoot the zombies, and move on.