Sign in to follow this  
tiglet

DayZ Supply drop

How about a supply drop somewhere on the map each 30 (?) minutes with a message to all players that a new supply drop will happen in the next 20 minutes at grid ...

This would cause some awesome scenarios where groups of people will converge onto a single spot. There again, you'll have the option of killing people off or befriending them and splitting the loot.

The supply drop can contain anything from very good guns => empty useless cans.

What do you guys think?

Well since you said "players converging to get it" or something like that, I assume you want all players to know its location.

that would ruin the feeling of being alone and lost in the wilderness of chernarus. And if you dont want all players to know where it is then it would just be a pointless game of stumbling upon it by luck.

besides even if everybody did know where it was, the map is so fucking huge that a new supply box would have been dropped by the time anyone got to it.

Plus, on the side of realism, who the hell is dropping it anyways?

The americans, because they aren't affected by the zombie plague? Who's respawning all the loot / zombies / ... oh yes, it's a game.

Me saying "a message to all players" should've told you I wanted to have all players know about it. I agree that the map is super huge which could be a problem, but that's part of fate. ofcourse the message to all the players will happen atleast 30 minutes before the drop to give some players the chance to converge to the spot if they're close enough. I do not expect people from all across the map to be able to get to the loot or maybe when all the good stuff has been picked off it already.

The americans' date=' because they aren't affected by the zombie plague? Who's respawning all the loot / zombies / ... oh yes, it's a game.

[/quote']

Im pretty sure if America was not affected they would rush in the troops to save everyone, America is known as the international police force of the world after all.

besides that doesnt make this a better idea...

I thought of random helicopters flying over every now and then dropping supply crates. I'd like to see this. But not alerting all players, only the ones who can see the chopper and bother to follow it

Maybe instead of a message and random grid referenmce, spawn a huge plane which flies inland from the sea and will drop a supply crate randomly along its flight line. Would need to make sure it had a nice loud engine so everyone could hear ith flying overhead from where ever they are on the map.

wouldnt need a message to all just a plane flying across the map and dropping would be enough alert to those vaguely near by (I'm assuming that Arma already has the resources for this, I dunno I dont play the regular game)

with a message to all players that a new supply drop will happen in the next 20 minutes at grid ...

No

Supply drops at random intervals at random locations...sure...why not

But no "global event announcement"

I agree, no warning, it should be done at random, in random spots.

You may get 4 crates every 30 minutes in the same spot one day, then nothing for a week

would be fun to be wandering through the woods one day to stumble upon a crate that landed in the middle of nowhere, full of loot...

Or a tank! (Not really)

Okay , well it was just a quick thought I had. Ofcourse tweaking is needed if it would ever be implemented and I can see why you guys wouldn't want the message to all players. The plane flying a random course around the map and then dropping a load somewhere randomly too would be very nice. People will probably run towards where the plane was flying anyway.

I'd like to hear rocket's idea for this.

i think something like... if you can find the parts to fix the radio tower and base station, then the radio will work for radioing out for a drop. then you have to hoof it to the drop location and wait, or make it there and put down a smoke grenade in the proper location. It brings up some other issues like treading the terrain to get there quickly without dieing. also doesn't stop anyone else from seeing the plane drop the supplies and trying to launch an assault on you while you pick through it all. seems like an awesome quest.

sounds good but on the other hand you could go to a server that isnt populated atall and nick all the loot and keep jumping to unpopulated servers and doing the same