Bottlerocket

Remove broken bones and make it a death blow.

Given that we're seeing a lot more broken bones as starting survivors face zombies without a weapon, wouldn't it make more sense to make the broken bone hit a skull-crushing instant-death blow?

I mean, a broken bone forces you to crawl, but seeing as you can't actually crawl into a building, it's kind of a death blow as it is. All that it means is you have to click 'respawn', which I heard was bad for the servers?

Try to find out how the game works. Collect Morphine and store it in your Backpack or Inventory. Once you break a leg - right click the Morphine - Stand up and run away.

pfff, noooo. I broke my legs in balota and crawled all the way to the NW airfield. Found a UAZ, a coyote pack, and morphine. No regrets.

Also, you can definitely get in about anything still with broken legs. You just gotta wiggle. WIGGLE LIKE YOU MEAN IT. Brown houses are pretty difficult, but possible. Also going sideways up stairs works. And if you really need you can crouch a lay down up most ledges, or keep vaulting and slowly move forward.

I'm perfectly aware that you can use morphine to 'cure' a broken bone (how realistic is that?).

It's just that, if you don't have some - and you don't start with any now - you can't get a dose because you can't crawl into buidlings! Try it - you run into a forcefield.

You can crawl into buildings when prone.. Just have to sometimes adjust your alignment with some entrances an such. And even with a broken leg you can vault over fences and stuff (totally realistic I know). Just crawl to a fence or high doorstep, stand up, hit v and you're over it.. Then it will make you go back to prone but you can crouch or stand in place indefinitely with a broken bone.

Getting broken bones from doorways is totally stupid and needs to be fixed. And I think just one morphine in your inv would be good.. It really is hell if you break a bone early after you spawn now. I would argue pain killers aren't really necessary.. It's weird to me that they give you that to start but not morphine.

Try to find out how the game works. Collect Morphine and store it in your Backpack or Inventory. Once you break a leg - right click the Morphine - Stand up and run away.

The OP is pointing out that NEWLY SPAWNED PLAYERS do not have morphine. Therefore; newly spawned player + broken leg = long crawl to hospital or respawn. Given the fact that a long crawl to hospital is not fun but tedious' date=' I know which option I would choose.

pfff, noooo. I broke my legs in balota and crawled all the way to the NW airfield. Found a UAZ, a coyote pack, and morphine. No regrets.

Also, you can definitely get in about anything still with broken legs. You just gotta wiggle. WIGGLE LIKE YOU MEAN IT. Brown houses are pretty difficult, but possible. Also going sideways up stairs works. And if you really need you can crouch a lay down up most ledges, or keep vaulting and slowly move forward.

That's great. You obviously have the time to spend crawling around the countryside looking for morphine. Good for you. What did you do? Put a heavy weight over the "w" key and go read a book for an hour or so?

I totally agree with Finkle too - replacing the painkillers with morphine would be a good balancer. You don't start with a gun so what would be the point of curing the shakes?

The OP is pointing out that NEWLY SPAWNED PLAYERS do not have morphine. Therefore; newly spawned player + broken leg = long crawl to hospital or respawn. Given the fact that a long crawl to hospital is not fun but tedious' date=' I know which option I would choose.

That's great. You obviously have the time to spend crawling around the countryside looking for morphine. Good for you. What did you do? Put a heavy weight over the "w" key and go read a book for an hour or so?

Naw, I disregarded sound and threw music on and held W, alt tabbing often to talk in skype with friends who also play. I also watched an episode or two of ponies on Netflix on my TV while crawling. It was nice. The worst part was having to axe zombies that managed to magically see a crawling guy 15 meters away.

Note: I agree legs break too often now, and/or morphine is way too scattered sorta, and spawning with it should happen. I'm just saying, making me insta-die is not ideal. If you wish to be dead after getting broken legs, just click respawn. ._.

Naw' date=' I disregarded sound and threw music on and held W, alt tabbing often to talk in skype with friends who also play. I also watched an episode or two of ponies on Netflix on my TV while crawling. It was nice. The worst part was having to axe zombies that managed to magically see a crawling guy 15 meters away.

Note: I agree legs break too often now, and/or morphine is way too scattered sorta, and spawning with it should happen. I'm just saying, making me insta-die is not ideal. If you wish to be dead after getting broken legs, just click respawn. ._.

[/quote']

That to me is not a good gaming experience. If the game is so tedious that you absolutely MUST do something else whilst playing, then it is broken.

Science Fact.

I agree though - the net result regarding sever load would be the same, whether you hit respawn because you have borked legs or whether you die by having your skull pulped by an aggroed zed - you still have to respawn.

Powermolch, no I don't. Broken bones happen more often now as the zeds attack range is increased, added to the fact that as a freshly spawned player you cannot fight back as you have no weapon. Furthermore due to the bugs inherent in the Arma engine, walking on ground that the game doesn't want you to walk on / climbing over a rock / falling > 1m results in a snapped limb. This then leads to a tedious crawl all over the place looking for morphine.

Naw' date=' I disregarded sound and threw music on and held W, alt tabbing often to talk in skype with friends who also play. I also watched an episode or two of ponies on Netflix on my TV while crawling. It was nice. The worst part was having to axe zombies that managed to magically see a crawling guy 15 meters away.

[/quote']

That to me is not a good gaming experience. If the game is so tedious that you absolutely MUST do something else whilst playing, then it is broken.

Science Fact.

I agree though - the net result regarding sever load would be the same, whether you hit respawn because you have borked legs or whether you die by having your skull pulped by an aggroed zed - you still have to respawn.

eh, I do these things often when traveling in general though. Running for a half hour north can get tedious. Of course I risk not hearing gunshots sometimes (though I try to keep volumes balanced enough I would), it'd be like if I were running in real life and wanted to listen to music to make the task more bearable. *shrug*

This is stupid : If you wan it to be a death blow just press Respawn when bone is broken ?

It adds nice game mechanics. ie : I was looting a town with two friends, when we inadvertently triggered aggro of a Z . We shot him but more came so we started running , but that's when one of us got hit and broke a bone. He was getting slaughtered by the Zed so we had to run back and help him. We nearly all got killed because of that and used all our ammo. This was a very nice gaming experience.

But the half hour run up north can be fun - you have the option to visit places, loot deer stands and barns, basically do other shit. With a broken leg, these options are either closed to you or so tediously slow to carry out that you feel the need to watch MLP and chat with buddies on Skype.

This game should make you feel like you are on a knife edge, it should be tense and absorbing. All the shit that a good game should make you feel. If you are doing those other things on the side, then it is broken. You are not engaging with the game.

Although, listening to music is fine - I would do the same thing (when I'm running IRL, I use my MP3 player all the time) - but think about it; if the broken leg, crawl for morphine thing was fun, you wouldn't feel the need to watch cartoons / chat on skype too, would you?

Just my two cents, awash in an ocean of other two cents...

I dunno, I play on a server of 40+ people for around 6 hours a day and have not been shot at in any trip north for over 2 weeks now, so any in between traveling I multitask now anyways. Of course I stop places, but there's still plenty of time in between deer stands and towns.

Plus, I guess it helps to mention my TV is huge and sitting up against my monitor, so I literally don't have to look away to view it, haha, it's not like I'm turned away holding W not even looking.

Given that we're seeing a lot more broken bones as starting survivors face zombies without a weapon' date=' wouldn't it make more sense to make the broken bone hit a skull-crushing instant-death blow?

[/quote']

Truly horrible suggestion.

How about making getting morphine one of your primary objectives instead? It's really not that difficult.

Can you really wigle your way into buildings while crawling? Never been able to do that. Anyone else?

Can you really wigle your way into buildings while crawling? Never been able to do that. Anyone else?

I insist, hold W and move your mouse around, sometimes you have to go left and right in situations, too. I have yet to find something I couldn't fit through. And like I said, if need you can vault and such to make it even easier. I've gotten in brown, red, and orange houses, upstairs in apartments, offices, and barns, and even navigated an entire barracks (over the bench in the doorway) prone. ITS POSSIBLE.

We are discussing in general. about the topic of DayZ.

I dunno' date=' I play on a server of 40+ people for around 6 hours a day and have not been shot at in any trip north for over 2 weeks now, so any in between traveling I multitask now anyways. Of course I stop places, but there's still plenty of time in between deer stands and towns.

Plus, I guess it helps to mention my TV is huge and sitting up against my monitor, so I literally don't have to look away to view it, haha, it's not like I'm turned away holding W not even looking.

[/quote']

You, sir are living the dream. I have a 14.5 inch laptop. The TV is on the other side of the room and is invariably taken up by the missus watching Top Model or some shit. I too have rarely been shot at. Mostly in Cherno anyways. I just had this image you you holding "W" then turnign round and watching TV or doing other stuff, like a multi tasking ninja boss. Please don't take that away from me?:blush:

Given that we're seeing a lot more broken bones as starting survivors face zombies without a weapon' date=' wouldn't it make more sense to make the broken bone hit a skull-crushing instant-death blow?

[/quote']

Truly horrible suggestion.

How about making getting morphine one of your primary objectives instead? It's really not that difficult.

Right. Looting is the main task in the game, is it not? Looking for stuff is the main occupation, right? How can you prioritize looking for one type of loot over any other? You either come across it or you don't. Yes, I know it spawns in Deer Stands and such other places more than others... I guess we are just not as awesome as you at hunting the mighty morphine power rangers... Well done. You win.

You still don't address how to deal with the tedium of crawling for 30 mins + to a place where there might or might not be morphine though?

I agree with you, though - it isn't necessarily any better than thinking "shit I have broken legs" and then hitting "respawn".

just let the broken leg wear off @20-30 mins(time spent IN GAME). problem solved... and still need to carry multiple injectors.

i'm 2 days in a small house with 1,7k of blood and a broken bone :(, i dont know what to do XD

I don't have morphine

i'm 2 days in a small house with 1' date='7k of blood and a broken bone :(, i dont know what to do XD

I don't have morphine

[/quote']

Hit 'respawn'. What else is there? Crawling for two hours with a blurry screen to somewhere there's a small chance there might be morphine, which you probably won't be able to reach?

Would it not have been better if you had just died at the hands of a skull-crushing zombie? At least you'd have had closure.

If you're screwed over from entering buildings or traveling because of broken legs, relog. I don't understand why you would take away the survival aspect of crawling towards help from players who want too.