Sign in to follow this  
SkipSkippy

More zombie types

Now I understand Rocket has already said he doesn't want special infected like the Left for dead series because he wants it to be more authentic, but hear me out. Now i'm not talking about massive overpowered zombies or bosses or anything like that, I just want different kinds of zombies. The main thing that annoys me most of all about DayZ is that it is supposed to be a zombie horror survival game, but what it really is deep down is an FPS that you need to search for loot and fight against "bandits" with the occasional nuisance of a couple zombies walking up and making you bleed for a couple seconds before you hit them once and they die, then you patch yourself up. Zombies are really only a threat when you first spawn then they just get annoying and not really a challenge. Don't get me wrong, I love DayZ, even when it was a mod, But its getting stale very quickly with the zombies. To me it would be a lot better game with different types of zombies, not only would it make zombies an actual challenge it would also make people friendly because it would be hard to survive alone and people would have other things to fight. I've been thinking for a couple hours and I made a list of which zombies could be added that wouldn't make the game unauthentic and would spice up game play. 

• Bloated zombie

A fat slower zombie, because honestly mostly every single zombie game/movie/series had at LEAST one fat/bloated zombie. Such as Doom, zombie land, dead island, and even the famous Walking dead series.

• Crawlers

A zombie with no legs that crawls, a lot slower but harder to see than the average zombie. Again mostly every single zombie thing includes crawlers.

• Armored zombies

An armored zombie, I mean with military people dying there has to be at least a couple people who died inside an armored suit. Harder to kill. Can take gear from them. (but remember, to kill them ya gotta damage some of the gear.)

• Swamp zombies

Pruned up, wet, Green, nasty zombies found near swamps. The reason I would want these is because I see a bunch of swamps everywhere that look neat but pretty much useless.

• Noise zombies/Siren

A zombie that should be avoided or taken out swiftly and silently. They make noises that attract other zombies.

• Swarm zombies/Pack zombies

Zombies that mainly stick together. Making getting past them a whole lot harder and a whole lot funner. 

• Runners

Fast skinny zombies but also weak. More of a threat to almost dead players and packs of them can be extremely deadly. 

• Brute

​         A slow, tough, and large zombie, should be fought at a far range so it has less of a chance of getting you, Not recommended fighting with a melee weapon. Now it doesn't have to be HUGE, just a bit bigger.

I understand its a stretch and I understand its really early alpha but I honestly think they should at least consider adding a couple different types of zombies, because right now Dayz still feels like its set in a War-zone with a couple zombies added. Also keep in mind I am in no way hating at all on DayZ because I understand they are obviously and have obviously been putting a lot of work into it, This is just what I think would be cool to have and add more fright to zombies in DayZ. Also feel free to comment below of what you think and also zombies you or others have come up with that you would like to see. 

• Like 1

You don't keep up with Rocket's announcements, do you? You can read exactly what his plans are on Twitter, Tumblr, or even the announcements page of this website.

• Like 1

You don't keep up with Rocket's announcements, do you? You can read exactly what his plans are on Twitter, Tumblr, or even the announcements page of this website.

Sorry no, I didn't really see anything about new zombie types.

Pfft, I  was killed by a wrench yesterday. I mean, don't get me wrong, you can take me out at far range too, but I usually travel light and without armor 

Keep Em' fast. Keep un-realistic zombie-health outta th game, and I wouldn't mind. Also, crawling zombies would bleed out or die of pain

• Like 1

I would like to see zombies with natural human characteristics zombified.

No giant arm chargers or exploding fat people.

Stronger people, faster people, light on feet people, people with protective clothing on and maybe carrying melee weapons.

• Like 2

I do agree zombies in the Standalone or overall need to be faster than the player and stronger (take more than a single shot or swing to kill). However my thought on the different types, no just no, it would add too much unnecessary confusion because not only do we need to combat the multiple types now we need to find ways to survive as a fresh spawn, not only that at night the fresh spawns would be cannon fodder as you wouldn't see them coming and by the time you did you can't fight them or you're already dead. Now if you placed them up north, sure I don't see why not. Just at the moment there would be way too many problems for the players and devs (could you imagine how much work it would take to make entirely new zombie models and animations) not to mention the DayZ team is a small one if I'm not mistaken. Just my opinion really I'm all for new ideas for DayZ just need solutions for the problems.

Edited by M4J0R

Zombies with weapons stuck in them (thinking axe blades/knives, etc) should get a damage bonus - even if the blade isn't hitting you, wood and metal are a lot harder than flesh and bone, and being struck by the back corner of an axe blade is still going to hurt.

I disagree with a lot of the OP's infected ideas, but I would like to see variation in zombies. Zombies that spawn in water having a higher infection rate (faster decay, right conditions for bacteria), zombies spawning without body parts, missing eyes, etc... and behaving accordingly. Zombies missing part of their torso structure, who risk snapping their spine when running due to the lack of muscle support (basically become crawlers). Maybe have a few with sharpened teeth that deal extra damage with bite attacks.

Another idea: Make zombies actually dive on you when they knock you down. Large weapons and guns are impossible to attack with; you either need another player to help you or to have a pistol or small melee weapon to get them off you. When knocked down, you risk being bitten repeatedly (armoured clothing isn't going to help much here), and several zombies can attack you at once from the sides as well. Zombies become less a shambling nuisance and more a very real risk of death if you engage them in melee. Plumbing a town without watching your back would actually become dangerous with the addition of this one mechanic.

True, but alpha is the time for brainstorming, when a lot of the game content is yet to be finalised. If the idea's on the table early, the chance of it conflicting with existing code is lower, thereby increasing the chances of it being implemented if it gets support :P

Also, nice flare.

I would like to see lightly equipped players, a 1 gun and clothes (nothing in bag) to be able to run as fast/ slightly faster than most zombies.

This will encourage players to spread gear amongst themselves to lighten the load and remain quick.

No longer will we have medic/ sniper/ assault/ repairman/ marathon runner characters.

You try and take the world alone and you will be overwhelmed by the speed of zombies as you are carrying all the gear you need on yourself.

Gear should be shared amongst a group, a medic, a repairman, point, sniper, pack brahman with spare food and ammo stuffed in a bag that acts as a small camp zone after you loot a town.

Zombies a constant challenge killing some with melee weapons, a motorbike helmet sporting and tire iron wielding zombie turns the corner.

Melee tank goes, haelp and point man shoots him through his visor.

You look around and see zombies running from every direction, as you look back in some directions you see some zombies have gained considerably more ground than others.

When you want to take anything out at range you take precautions, you have pre made improvised silencers for your weapon you quickly tape a bottle stuffed with a torn up soft toy on the end of the barrel that reduces the audible range of your weapon by a couple hundred metres.

Go inside a building to reduce the audible range by half.

My idea is that every gun = dinner bell.

So much larger audible ranges, even awesomely silenced sub sonic rounds weapons should have audible ranges of about 20-40m.

If a zombie isn't killed/ knocked out instantly the noises he makes should alert others around, making marksmanship with guns and melee weapons alike important.

Feel free to pull this apart and add further if you're catching my seemingly off topicy drift.

• Like 1

Keep Em' fast. Keep un-realistic zombie-health outta th game, and I wouldn't mind. Also, crawling zombies would bleed out or die of pain

well there are ppl in the world living without legs/limbs, so there could be crawlers in game aswell but i admit they would be really rare unless there was some hospital in cherno vicinity that was focused at those patients, just saying ;)

• Like 1

well there are ppl in the world living without legs/limbs, so there could be crawlers in game aswell but i admit they would be really rare unless there was some hospital in cherno vicinity that was focused at those patients, just saying ;)

If they added a minefield more like.

People without limbs are still going to be rare at any old hospital.

If they added a minefield more like.

People without limbs are still going to be rare at any old hospital.

I was also thinking that maybe some zombies got run over from people trying to get away in a car and they got split in half. Zombies don't really feel pain or anything so its not like getting split in half would stop them from trying to feed on human flesh. 

I was also thinking that maybe some zombies got run over from people trying to get away in a car and they got split in half. Zombies don't really feel pain or anything so its not like getting split in half would stop them from trying to feed on human flesh.

These zombies are still people.

I was thinking post op mine survivors.

Think of them as infected, still running off their vital organs and need blood.

Being split in half by a car, would definitely cause death from bloodloss.

These zombies are still people.

I was thinking post op mine survivors.

Think of them as infected, still running off their vital organs and need blood.

Being split in half by a car, would definitely cause death from bloodloss.

But I don't think zombies really die from bloodloss 

But I don't think zombies really die from bloodloss

No, you didn't read what I said zombies require the same stuff to support themselves as people in dayZ.

If a dayZ zombie looses lots of blood he will have no pressure in his arteries and blood won't be able to pump itself into their brain meaning their brain gets no oxygen and dies.

It's only a alpha and it brilliant already but to many zombies will kill you faster and if you have a special one and you don't see it it would more than likely kill you instantly.