Sign in to follow this  
serenityrick

Since 'zombie' hordes are confirmed.. what would you consider a "horde"?

There should actually be different kind of horde's . Like for example ( if there are crash sites ) they should add a big horde of about 15-20 zombies , in the countryside in the middle of no where it should be a small horde of about 5 ... Just my opinion !

Let's be honest, even a horde of 100 wouldn't be too bad seeing as how zombies are a one hit kill (60 round coupled mag anyone?) and you can outrun them. It'd be a bit of a hassle but completely managable

except now you're out 120 rounds and alerted everyone to the area, yeah.. haha

The mod had a server while back, it's dead now, but the owner of it modded it to have like 10 zombies come running out from every building in Cherno when the bell tower went off (set on a timer to match the bell), was cool at first but was overwhelming and eventually would crash the server cuz people couldn't kill them fast enough before it became so thick with zombies you couldn't see the streets anymore, I got stranded on the roof of a building and ran out of ammo shooting them off the ladder.

The problem is the massive amount of optimization the SA would need to have a lot of zeds + hoards roaming around. Honestly I would love to see this but not sure if it will happen anytime soon or at all due to engine limitations/massive fps and lag drops.

Would be very very surprised if technicalities allow anything more than about 10-15 zombies in these 'hordes'

Performance issues etc.

even 10 to 15 zeds would make a scary thing if and when they fix zeds ( i also like many peoples ideas of there speed and yours coupled with stamina adds realisim and a fear factor).

Zombies need to get to the point where they are more threatening to players than people, so hopefully it can decrease the shoot on sight mentallity thatis happening now. example of this is, you shot a player in cherno,and by the time you have looted his body swarms of zombies are on you (basically your fucked). this could hopefully encourage more comunication through hold ups (instead of the i want  your clown mask bang, bang your dead all that other gear i dont need). Same thing in the country side i want zombies to slowly swarm you with the more bullets you shot or the louder your gun is.

Just a thought, hope this is the idea Rocket has for the future of zombies in Dayz

Edited by GetTheFunkOn
  • Like 1

Sooo, since an average LMG has 100 rounds, the zombie horde would be 100+?

Are you that good with an LMG with Zeds coming at you?

Please post link where to become man like self.

Let's be honest, even a horde of 100 wouldn't be too bad seeing as how zombies are a one hit kill

We'll see what happens when Hall turns off "ZED EASY MODE"

It's not going to be like shooting fish in a barrel

***Edit :   As not to post here again, let me remind you that you may think you can fend off however many Zeds will be in a horde, now what happens when you waste all your (soon to be) precious ammo on one horde, only to have all those shots heard by another horde close by? GG.

Edited by AJ4211

The guys at Valve have this down pat. Left 4 Dead (the source engine?) has no problem having dozens upon dozens of zombies on screen at the same time without affecting performance. I don't think I can say the same for the Arma engine DayZ is running on.

Zombies need to get to the point where they are more threatening to players than people, so hopefully it can decrease the shoot on sight mentallity thatis happening now. example of this is, you shot a player in cherno,and by the time you have looted his body swarms of zombies are on you (basically your fucked). this could hopefully encourage more comunication through hold ups (instead of the i want  your clown mask bang, bang your dead all that other gear i dont need). Same thing in the country side i want zombies to slowly swarm you with the more bullets you shot or the louder your gun is.

Just a thought, hope this is the idea Rocket has for the future of zombies in Dayz

Agreed. Zombies aren't really that much of a threat at the moment and it only encourages PvP over PvE. At the moment, anyone can conquer PvE solo. I WANT THAT CHANGED. 

I know this game has nothing in common with Left 4 Dead, but the one thing in L4D that I want incorporated in DayZ is the overwhelming NEED for teamwork to survive. If one guy isn't doing his job, the entire group is doomed. I think a good model of "threat" in L4D is the tank - and I don't mean that a tank zombie should literally exist in DayZ - more metaphorically. If somehow the DayZ devs can produce a threat that's as destructive and as emergent as the L4D tank, it would force otherwise hostile parties to ally up and take down the threat.

Also, I feel in order to make PvE more challenging, the devs need to work more on the end-game and how fast players can reach it. Reaching it is INCREDIBLY EASY & FAST at the moment. Once you're no longer hungry/thirsty and have an ample supply of food/water/gear, that's basically it. You're at end-game. All that's left to do afterwards is engage in PvP to combat boredom. Adding tents, vehicles, etc, only curtails boredom for a short while, but unless PvE is improved, players will ultimately turn to PvP to keep themselves entertained.