hannibaldaplaya

Will melee be improved to be more realistic?

Right now, this is melee-

You click, and you swing, in a specific motion for each melee. Its better then the mod, but it is still really simple, and with the weaker melees ( such as the Baseball Bat ), killing a zed is possible but frustrating and if you get a single lagburst, you're going to take a hit and start bleeding.

If you don't have an axe, you're going to be circling, strafing, and moving to hit a zed. This isn't particularly realistic.

If I have a Baseball Bat, and I hit a person or a zombie, their should be either a knockback or stun effect. A zed shouldn't be able to tear open my leg right as I hit with a bat, or a crowbar, or anything else. It feels cheap when I get hit while I'm bashing at a zed with a melee weapon. Also, don't say that this is because melee should involve lots of strafing- In games with effective, realistic melee, you don't have to do this. 

How can melee be made more interesting and / or realistic?

First of all, knockback / stun effect. When you hit another player or a zed with an actual weapon, they shouldn't be able to instantly retaliate. They should be either pushed back, prevented from attacking for a short moment, or knocked down. If I hit a zombie with a baseball bat hard enough, its going to be pushed back or knocked onto its back.

Secondly, a shove attack. This would be very useful. Instead of swinging, you hit another button, and shove the zed or player in front of you, which would either stun it or knock it down. This would be useful, as you could take out singular zeds with weak melees by shoving them down and then pelting them with the melee. This is also realistic!

Thirdly, charging up swings. Basically, you charge up your swing for a bit more damage. Imagine you're sneaking up on a zed, looking to take it out before you loot a building, or the zed is running towards you. You hold into the attack button, wait for it to come, and then release, dealing a harder swing / hit. This is very common in melee systems, and would be a nice addition.

Basically, I want melee to be more effective. It feels a bit clunky currently due to the fact if you do not have an axe, you're going to have to utilize circling tactics to kill any zombies. With an axe, though, you can slaughter everything.

OH ALSO I KNOW THIS IS ALPHA NO ALPHA SHIELDS PLEASE THIS IS JUST A FRIENDLY SUGGESTION / FEEDBACK <3

• Like 2

While I would love a better and cleaner melee system,but I think the engine is the limiting factor here. Implementing your suggestions might make it a bit deeper, but it would still be the lagfest it is at the moment. If I had one suggestion to help things, it would be to just increase the melee range a bit.

While I would love a better and cleaner melee system,but I think the engine is the limiting factor here. Implementing your suggestions might make it a bit deeper, but it would still be the lagfest it is at the moment. If I had one suggestion to help things, it would be to just increase the melee range a bit.

I've knocked zombies down before, the chances of doing so are just too low. They need to increase it, and also increase the damage of the underpowered melees, as well. Plus, adding a stun effect when the zombie is hit or something of that sort should be easy, as it would simply limit the zed from attacking.

Right now, this is melee-

You click, and you swing, in a specific motion for each melee. Its better then the mod, but it is still really simple, and with the weaker melees ( such as the Baseball Bat ), killing a zed is possible but frustrating and if you get a single lagburst, you're going to take a hit and start bleeding.

If you don't have an axe, you're going to be circling, strafing, and moving to hit a zed. This isn't particularly realistic.

If I have a Baseball Bat, and I hit a person or a zombie, their should be either a knockback or stun effect. A zed shouldn't be able to tear open my leg right as I hit with a bat, or a crowbar, or anything else. It feels cheap when I get hit while I'm bashing at a zed with a melee weapon. Also, don't say that this is because melee should involve lots of strafing- In games with effective, realistic melee, you don't have to do this. 

How can melee be made more interesting and / or realistic?

First of all, knockback / stun effect. When you hit another player or a zed with an actual weapon, they shouldn't be able to instantly retaliate. They should be either pushed back, prevented from attacking for a short moment, or knocked down. If I hit a zombie with a baseball bat hard enough, its going to be pushed back or knocked onto its back.

Secondly, a shove attack. This would be very useful. Instead of swinging, you hit another button, and shove the zed or player in front of you, which would either stun it or knock it down. This would be useful, as you could take out singular zeds with weak melees by shoving them down and then pelting them with the melee. This is also realistic!

Thirdly, charging up swings. Basically, you charge up your swing for a bit more damage. Imagine you're sneaking up on a zed, looking to take it out before you loot a building, or the zed is running towards you. You hold into the attack button, wait for it to come, and then release, dealing a harder swing / hit. This is very common in melee systems, and would be a nice addition.

Basically, I want melee to be more effective. It feels a bit clunky currently due to the fact if you do not have an axe, you're going to have to utilize circling tactics to kill any zombies. With an axe, though, you can slaughter everything.

OH ALSO I KNOW THIS IS ALPHA NO ALPHA SHIELDS PLEASE THIS IS JUST A FRIENDLY SUGGESTION / FEEDBACK <3

i fully agree, the melee system isn't the best and needs a lot of work. especially what  you are saying about the zombies being able to hit you while you hit them, if your blow lands first there swing should be interrupted just as well as a swig from another player. they shouldn't be able to continue and hit you.

also make the damage done by each more realistic, i hit another player there yesterday with a axe dead in the middle of his back. blood came out and he kept running. no way anyone would be able to keep running in real life with having taken a smack of a axe in the back.

• Like 2

i fully agree, the melee system isn't the best and needs a lot of work. especially what  you are saying about the zombies being able to hit you while you hit them, if your blow lands first there swing should be interrupted just as well as a swig from another player. they shouldn't be able to continue and hit you.

also make the damage done by each more realistic, i hit another player there yesterday with a axe dead in the middle of his back. blood came out and he kept running. no way anyone would be able to keep running in real life with having taken a smack of a axe in the back.

Completely agree.

Off topic, this is the same problem right now with the Dead Linger and other survival games. You hit something with a melee weapon, and they can hit you. Its unrealistic when your attack doesn't, you know, interrupt theirs. It feels really cheap.

Swinging axes still triggers a bullet sound sometimes. I think melee weapons are still ballistic weapons in disguise with a range <1m like in the mod.

If that is true I'm afraid the melee system will never be any good. Just not totally screwed up would be an improvement already.

Right now it is impossible to melee zombies indoors in most of the houses.

Swinging axes still triggers a bullet sound sometimes. I think melee weapons are still ballistic weapons in disguise with a range <1m like in the mod.

If that is true I'm afraid the melee system will never be any good. Just not totally screwed up would be an improvement already.

I think that's just a placeholder sound. The melees luckily don't hit where your cursor is anymore.

This is what melee combat is like in Dayz and this is what it will always be in Dayz. Its the wrong engine and it will never be anywhere close to something like dead island. Sadly.

• Like 1

This is what melee combat is like in Dayz and this is what it will always be in Dayz. Its the wrong engine and it will never be anywhere close to something like dead island. Sadly.

Wellll. If they increase the chance of knocking a zed down with a melee weapon or at least increase the damage of the lesser powered melees, and maybe make it so your bloody hits interrupt the other person / zed's bloody hits, I'll be happy.

It's not a projectile. Where your axe model hits is where it hits, the crosshair is pointless.

Not being able to melee indoors is a feature. You shouldn't be able to swing a huge axe in a narrow hallway. Pick up a knife or something else small(in addition to the axe) if you must battle zombies inside houses.

----

I don't really have much issue with the melee, it's already too easy to kill everything with one of the axes, and I want using a baseball bat to be difficult. The trick is to hit them in the head, and then keep hitting them while they're down, then backup and do it again. Always stay outside their range until they do their attack then rush in.

Edited by bad_mojo

Will it be improved? Probably. Will it be improved much? Probably not. To the point where melee itself if fun and engaging? I highly doubt it.

The engine being used was never designed with melee combat in mind, and the changes necessary to have more interesting and rewarding melee mechanics are likely to be quite significant.

Hell, I'll be happy if axes stop making a bullet ricochet sound when they strike a surface. Actually, I'm just happy axes no longer have to be reloaded!

If there was a way to swing in a different direction using the movement of a mouse. Then it will be worthy of my praise.

But yes, I would like a knock back effect (10/10 For effort people)

CUiDQll.png

• Like 1

It's not a projectile. Where your axe model hits is where it hits, the crosshair is pointless.

Not being able to melee indoors is a feature. You shouldn't be able to swing a huge axe in a narrow hallway. Pick up a knife or something else small(in addition to the axe) if you must battle zombies inside houses.

----

I don't really have much issue with the melee, it's already too easy to kill everything with one of the axes, and I want using a baseball bat to be difficult. The trick is to hit them in the head, and then keep hitting them while they're down, then backup and do it again. Always stay outside their range until they do their attack then rush in.

But pushing them down is way too infrequent..

But pushing them down is way too infrequent..

Actually, you can keep them stunlocked if you aim for the head, however the bad hitboxes combined with the aforementioned server lag and general clunkyness of the game means it's not the easiest thing to do.

Rocket has already admitted that the melee combat won't necessarily get better because the engine wasn't made with melee combat in mind. This is probably the best we're going to get save for some tweaks to when a zombie is knocked down or stunned. But "charging up" attacks or "pushing" won't happen.