Sign in to follow this  
ssimmons

Spawning: Less-frequent Ammo

Personally speaking, I think there should be CONSIDERABLY less ammo.  I think there would be a lot less kill-on-sight mentality if ammo were somewhat uncommon (even at military bases).

As it currently stands, there is too much ammo in the game -- so people just spray bullets at everything that moves.  If there were a lot less, people would save their bullets for defending themselves instead of using them to mow down everything in their path.

• Like 4

I agree, there should be less ammo.

I believe there was interview where rocket mentioned ammo will be more rare, so players will have to make smart decisions.

I think ammo is simply popular cause the magazines arent adjusted to have random ammo counts and there isnt enough

other trivial items to be shuffled through the spawns, as well the server hopping is making it easy. I think they should adjust it when they

get more features and items out, so players have other things to do. 

hahaha you drunk mate. you can find 10 M4s befor you find ammo for them. I say there needs to be more ammo in the game

hahaha you drunk mate. you can find 10 M4s befor you find ammo for them. I say there needs to be more ammo in the game

Hahaha you not looking mate. You can find 10 M4 mags before you find an M4 for them. I say there needs to be less ammo in the game.

I think, have more types of ammo, no generalised 7.62 or 5.56 keep current amounts available only less likely to be for your gun.

So yeah less kind of.

• Like 2

Yes, that will get better Incrementally, as more and more loot/gun's gets added to the alfa.

• Like 1

I think, have more types of ammo, no generalised 7.62 or 5.56 keep current amounts available only less likely to be for your gun.

So yeah less kind of.

Yes, hopefully we will have all the types of ammo, for example 762,  762X39 / 762X51 / 762X54R and maybe 300 win mag.... i got a bit worried the first time i saw, the ammo just saying 7.62 and not 7.62X54R for the mosin

Edited by thomas28
  • Like 1

In the last 8 hours of gameplay, I've found more than enough 5.56mm to fill an ammo can on ONE server.

Ammo needs to be less likely to find to create some type of trading economy and to add into the immersion of a zombie apocalypse; which may likely happen due to the people prior or during the events of that occurring, ammo would be heavily sought out before weapons would be.

I hear DayZ Epoch has done a great way of this by adding more varieties of weapons and you'd find ammo for different weapons but not for the ones you exactly be needing.

Example of the references which could include in different varieties of bullets that'd be great on a trade-based economy.

Catrige_collection.JPG

Edited by TIC321

I think the current way items spawn are percentile. And since there are very few items in the game so far it is spawning a lot of the few items there are.

That having been said pistol ammo seems really rare.

Yet to see any gun other than an M4, and I've only ever found two clips of ammo for one.

That being said: Making ammo rarer isn't going to make the KOS mentality go away. It just means the people who are good at the game (ie, the bandits - everyone eventually goes bandit) are going to have an even bigger advantage over the people who are not.

Think it through. Anyone who knows the map, knows the ammo spawns. If everything spawns on server reboot, bandits can just get in their vehicles with their teammates and sweep the barracks/forts, clear the ammo and guns out and leave them barren for whoever else comes through. No competition whatsoever.

Think it through. Anyone who knows the map, knows the ammo spawns. If everything spawns on server reboot, bandits can just get in their vehicles with their teammates and sweep the barracks/forts, clear the ammo and guns out and leave them barren for whoever else comes through. No competition whatsoever.

Id say they more then earned it, if they risked their lives in legit means.

You should also think it through. Military bases are highly popular looting places and after reset people will go for them or are already waiting there for the reset.

So these people traveling across the Chenarus with a car to loot each base is really likely to counter other people.

The real issue is the people cleaning out empty servers and hopping to next one. People arent even trying to play the game, the way its ment to be played.

On single go i managed to find pistol, 2 magazines, ammo, camo clothing and pistol holster on fully populated server in looted electro. Really shows how reckless people are.

True, but what I'm trying to point out is that the people who get the early advantage will keep it. Others might make their way to military zones/other high yield places for guns and ammo, but the odds of surviving when heavily armed bandit gangs are doing the same is incredibly low. Personally I like the unbalanced element to combat, but it makes levelling the playing field a pain in the ass when you start late on a popular server and everyone else is set up.

Yet to see any gun other than an M4, and I've only ever found two clips of ammo for one.

That being said: Making ammo rarer isn't going to make the KOS mentality go away. It just means the people who are good at the game (ie, the bandits - everyone eventually goes bandit) are going to have an even bigger advantage over the people who are not.

Bandits aren't at all the best players.

The best players don't bother with PVP because they know it's either camping/ shooting unarmed atm.

Anybody camping has a massive advantage (which good players don't do) good players go and help the new spawns to try and improve the community, they will say "hey that fully armed guy helped me instead of shooting me, maybe I should do the same like the good old days"

If people don't have ammo, they might have to rely on bluff robberies where they actually have no ammo.

Be tempted to get closer instead of taking lots of potshots.

Identify targets and never bother shooting newspawns.

Less ammo will basically lessen most problems a little bit.

When people have ammo they're tempted to use it.

On the other hand, when you know it's extremely unlikely the person you're sighting down your rifle scope has ammo for the gun slung across their back, the only factor that might influence you toward not taking the shot aside from a moral compunction to not kill your server would be the risk that they don't have anything worth stealing.

I speak of bandits in terms of skill and accuracy when I say they're the best players - in my experience the players who have decent accuracy are the ones who practice, and you don't see a lot of players hunting bandits specifically - they just shoot whoever they come across. Most of the players I've met treat bandits as the PvP-oriented part of the playerbase. While I agree in principle that someone who's got a good aim wouldn't need to camp, there aren't a great many people who are willing to risk their gear set fighting out in the open/alone when there's readily available ways to minimise the risk. It might not be universal, but in my experience that's generally how things pan out - the players who survive are the ones who prepare their ground when they want/know there will be PvP, and wait for people to run in.

Incidentally, when I first started on DayZ, and then on Origins, I was helped to set up by a different group each time - groups which both turned out to be bandit clans. I always found it ironic that they went out of their way to help me for a few hours, then spent the rest of the time I played on the respective servers mauling pretty much everybody else. Off topic, I know, but I was reminded of it by the direction the conversation is heading in.

Edit: I'm more speaking in terms of the completed game than the state of it at the moment - looking back at the mod and forward at what the finished standalone will look like. There's not really much point killing people at the moment aside from testing mechanics and just having fun, and probably won't be for some time yet. Personally I don't see the point in engaging in PvP at all if we have no means of storing resources.

Edited by Wolfguarde

I agree with the OP on this 100%. Ammo should be rare Road Warrior style. When you have three rounds for your weapon, you'd have to consider if that person you're drawing down is worth it. It would add realism, strategy and may end the KOS mentality, especially against new spawns. 

This will probably already be known by Rocket and the development team and they'll alter it as they go along to see what works best.