Bruce of Wayne

How does saline give blood?

I was just curious as to how saline can give you blood back. If I am not mistaken it is simply sterile salt water. Can anyone explain?

I was just curious as to how saline can give you blood back. If I am not mistaken it is simply sterile salt water. Can anyone explain?

I believe it to be a temporary blood solution used to boost the bodies fluids, i don't know the details i just know it works :P

I believe it to be a temporary blood solution used to boost the bodies fluids, i don't know the details i just know it works :P

I don't have any medical background but as I understand from back in military first aid lessons it helps treat for shock. Since the body isn't capable of transporting fluids etc. effectively it has to be helped a bit and the saline basically takes over like Stip says. It basically helps keep you going (or well... not dying as fast) untill you can get proper more definitive treatment.

I don't have any medical background but as I understand from back in military first aid lessons it helps treat for shock. Since the body isn't capable of transporting fluids etc. effectively it has to be helped a bit and the saline basically takes over like Stip says. It basically helps keep you going (or well... not dying as fast) untill you can get proper more definitive treatment.

Makes sense to me!

Ah ok. But I think then that it should give a lot less blood than blood bags.

Thing with shock isn't always a lack of blood but of "effective volume". Don't really recall the details but it means that your blood cannot effectively transport all the stuff you need trough your body. (Thats why shock victims are often thirsty). The saline is a more direct route whereas a blood transfusion would need to 'cycle' in first.

Ah ok. But I think then that it should give a lot less blood than blood bags.

It's temporary, I believe it only gives you "blood" for a certain amount of time. 

It's temporary, I believe it only gives you "blood" for a certain amount of time.

Never heard of this. Source?

How wrong you are. It's not temporary at all. Your toon receives absolute full color back and at that point you can eat and drink till you're healthy and your heart is content as can be.

It's more effective than blood transfusions at the moment.

I have a medical background so let me explain why the saline works the way it does.

More often than not, your body lacks proper hydration, which is what causes shock more often than anything. Blood transfusions can actually cause shock, which is why during an actual blood transfusion, the receiver tends to have an IV hooked in for saline injection as well as another IV for the blood transfusion. This helps to hydrate the body for proper distribution of blood cells to the proper locations. It's almost as simple as the ABC's for choking victims. Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

Your body circulates your blood via veins and arteries. Arteries are your lifeblood, and severing one generally means death. So in this case, un-used or for other words, blood that lacks oxygen is transported via veins. With a lack of blood, your veins don't transfer much blood at all. Your arteries begin to run dry, and you croak. With the Saline IV along with a Blood IV, you're effectively hydrating the body at a rather rapid rate and allowing for the transport of new blood into the system far faster than you would otherwise.

This helps with treating shock victims (saline only) and people in need of a blood/plasma donation (saline + blood xfusion). The reason IV's are more effective, regardless of it being saline or blood... is that fact that it is intravenous (internal) rather than externally transferred. Common sense really, but it all adds up.

However, saline would not regenerate your blood. It only hydrates you and allows you to generate blood cells a bit quicker than you would if you weren't hydrated. (Real life respect on this one, but can see how it somewhat equates as working the way it does in game) So there you have it... a slightly quick crash course on this.

TL;DR:  Saline is intravenous, affects body quicker... allows for rather fast hydration of body allowing regeneration of blood cells due to proper hydration amounts. Blood donation somewhat broken at the moment. (EDIT: Heat stroke victims are given Saline IV's since most of them end up in shock. SOLDIER MEDIC SOLDIER MEDIC!)

Edited by jSharp
  • Like 7

The important thing with saline is it repressurises the system... imagine an empty hosepipe and put a little water in, nothing will come out the far end... but if the whole pipe is full of water already, putting some in one end pushes some out the other... now tie your hosepipe into a loop and you have a crude circulation system :)

The important thing with saline is it repressurises the system... imagine an empty hosepipe and put a little water in, nothing will come out the far end... but if the whole pipe is full of water already, putting some in one end pushes some out the other... now tie your hosepipe into a loop and you have a crude circulation system :)

No.

Me and my buddies have been using Saline rather than blood bags, primarily due to the risk of infection with blood bags.

It does bring full colour back, and I played for a further 10 hours or so with no blood/colour loss, so I'm not sure if its a 'temporary fix' or whatever.

Me and my buddies have been using Saline rather than blood bags, primarily due to the risk of infection with blood bags.

It does bring full colour back, and I played for a further 10 hours or so with no blood/colour loss, so I'm not sure if its a 'temporary fix' or whatever.

Risk of infection?

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Blood_type <-- see this link. You properly are using the wrong blood type, which is causing "sepsis" or blood poisoning for a common term.

Well I was going to say something but Jsharp pretty much nailed it and with more detail than I was going to provide. 

• Like 1

How wrong you are. It's not temporary at all. Your toon receives absolute full color back and at that point you can eat and drink till you're healthy and your heart is content as can be.

I have a medical background so let me explain why the saline works the way it does.

More often than not, your body lacks proper hydration, which is what causes shock more often than anything. Blood transfusions can actually cause shock, which is why during an actual blood transfusion, the receiver tends to have an IV hooked in for saline injection as well as another IV for the blood transfusion. This helps to hydrate the body for proper distribution of blood cells to the proper locations. It's almost as simple as the ABC's for choking victims. Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

Your body circulates your blood via veins and arteries. Arteries are your lifeblood, and severing one generally means death. So in this case, un-used or for other words, blood that lacks oxygen is transported via veins. With a lack of blood, your veins don't transfer much blood at all. Your arteries begin to run dry, and you croak. With the Saline IV along with a Blood IV, you're effectively hydrating the body at a rather rapid rate and allowing for the transport of new blood into the system far faster than you would otherwise.

This helps with treating shock victims (saline only) and people in need of a blood/plasma donation (saline + blood xfusion). The reason IV's are more effective, regardless of it being saline or blood... is that fact that it is intravenous (internal) rather than externally transferred. Common sense really, but it all adds up.

However, saline would not regenerate your blood. It only hydrates you and allows you to generate blood cells a bit quicker than you would if you weren't hydrated. (Real life respect on this one, but can see how it somewhat equates as working the way it does in game) So there you have it... a slightly quick crash course on this.

TL;DR:  Saline is intravenous, affects body quicker... allows for rather fast hydration of body allowing regeneration of blood cells due to proper hydration amounts. Blood donation somewhat broken at the moment. (EDIT: Heat stroke victims are given Saline IV's since most of them end up in shock. SOLDIER MEDIC SOLDIER MEDIC!)

Then it's my mistake and i must have heared it wrong from somewhere or other :P

Then it's my mistake and i must have heared it wrong from somewhere or other :P

No mistake whatsoever bud. Just misinformation. Not much you can do when you're provided the wrong information. I just hope I clarified this for you.

No mistake whatsoever bud. Just misinformation. Not much you can do when you're provided the wrong information. I just hope I clarified this for you.

you certainly did, will save me a lot of trouble now

TL;DR: Saline is intravenous, affects body quicker... allows for rather fast hydration of body allowing regeneration of blood cells due to proper hydration amounts. Blood donation somewhat broken at the moment. (EDIT: Heat stroke victims are given Saline IV's since most of them end up in shock. SOLDIER MEDIC SOLDIER MEDIC!)

This. I distinctly remember the platoon giving saline IVs to guys after particularly hot patrols in Afghanistan. Instant hydration!
  • Like 1

This. I distinctly remember the platoon giving saline IVs to guys after particularly hot patrols in Afghanistan. Instant hydration!

Yeah I had to have an IV once or twice from dehydration. Even when I drank 10+ glasses of water. It was pretty bad. The saline IV helped me a ton... also got rid of my 103.9 temp. Dropped it down to about 101.3

jsharp is spot on !

the more hydrated & feed you are the quicker you will regenerate blood (in game) you can be at 100% blood & still dying tho .

its a culmination of factors . 

When you have significant circulating volume depletion (e.g. from bleeding) you need to get fluid back into the vessels to allow the heart to continue to pump blood. IV saline dilutes the blood so that you have relatively less red blood cells and therefore haemoglobin, but allows you to at least perfuse your tissues. Your spleen has a store of RBCs that it can release to compensate, and over a longer time more RBCs are made by the bone marrow to replace lost cells (one of the reasons nutrition is important - this process needs fuel). Saline is a crystalloid infusion so tends to spread evenly to all body compartments (whereas blood products or colloid solutions tend to stay in the blood vessels) so is temporary from that point of view. If you lose blood there is actually what is called an 'internal transfusion' where fluid from the tissues is drawn into the circulation along an osmotic gradient, but this takes time. There are a bunch of other crystalloid and colloid solutions that can be used to keep up your circulating volume ('blood' in the DayZ context), but 'normal' saline (i.e. osmotically similar to blood) is pretty commonly used (although better for rehydrating after severe vomitting - isotonic dextrose and saline is better for replacing most other non-bleeding losses (e.g. severe diarrhoea), and Plasmalyte is ideal for maintenance).

Sorry - I know that's a bit full on but should answer the OPs question.

• Like 2