Sign in to follow this  
DevilDog (DayZ)

Blood types, Blood bags and Transfusions

Just figured I would share this cause not much is known right now and I didn't see it anywhere. A few things about blood types.

1) Each time you die your blood type will change. You can't just check it once and think that is your type for ever. (I have been 0+ and A+ so far, which are the two most common)

2) Donors: This is taken from the Red Cross, I assume the game will follow this guideline. There are 4 types (O, A, B, AB).

O: Gives to anyone. Gets from O

A: Gives to A or AB. Gets from O or A

B: Gives to B or AB. Gets from O or B

AB: Gives to AB. Gets from anyone

3) In addition to that, there is the Rh factor (+ or -)

+: Gives to +. Gets + or -

-: Gives to - or +. Gets -.

4) So if you want to be able to get any blood you want AB+. If you want to be able to give to anyone you want O- (I was actually able to get 3 bags of O- blood before the character wipe haha).

5) Getting a transfusion of incorrect blood type will give you a hymolytic reaction. Basically you are dead. I have not had the chance to do this to myself, but will when I get the chance to see how long it takes and if you can survive it.

6) A blood transfusion (apparently) only gives 1000 blood and has added dangers, so it should only be used in an emergency.

7) The blood bag has everything you need to take blood. It will take up two spots once filled with blood. Then you need to attach an IV kit to the blood bag in order to use it.

Edited by DevilDog
  • Like 2

Just figured I would share this cause not much is known right now and I didn't see it anywhere. A few things about blood types.

1) Each time you die your blood type will change. You can't just check it once and think that is your type for ever. (I have been 0+ and A+ so far, which are the two most common)

2) Donors: This is taken from the Red Cross, I assume the game will follow this guideline. There are 4 types (O, A, B, AB).

O: Gives to anyone. Gets from O

A: Gives to A or AB. Gets from O or A

B: Gives to B or AB. Gets from O or B

AB: Gives to AB. Gets from anyone

3) In addition to that, there is the Rh factor (+ or -)

+: Gives to +. Gets + or -

-: Gives to - or +. Gets -.

4) So if you want to be able to get any blood you want AB+. If you want to be able to give to anyone you want O- (I was actually able to get 3 bags of O- blood before the character wipe haha).

5) Getting a transfusion of incorrect blood type will give you a hymolytic reaction. Basically you are dead. I have not had the chance to do this to myself, but will when I get the chance to see how long it takes and if you can survive it.

6) A blood transfusion (apparently) only gives 1000 blood and has added dangers, so it should only be used in an emergency.

7) The blood bag has everything you need to take blood. It will take up two spots once filled with blood. Then you need to attach an IV kit to the blood bag in order to use it.

You sir have made those in need of the red stuff very happy today, Beans all around!

You sir have made those in need of the red stuff very happy today, Beans all around!

Thanks. I think it is worth mentioning that a saline IV will max out your blood and is safer, so that is the best route to go if you can find them.

I have not had the chance to test out the saline bags but there is some people that said they don't last, almost like a temporary fix. I will update if I get more info on that.

Thanks. I think it is worth mentioning that a saline IV will max out your blood and is safer, so that is the best route to go if you can find them.

I have not had the chance to test out the saline bags but there is some people that said they don't last, almost like a temporary fix. I will update if I get more info on that.

Thankyou very much sir! I'm surprised Noone else has commented on how useful this is!

They just need to bring back the old blood bag system. Its way better

Use saline. It is just like the old blood bags.

@Phoboss very nice find. Love the blood splatter.

• Like 1

So that's what for are IV kits.

As useful as this information is, the unfortunate state of affairs is the medical system is simply too unwieldy to be "playable" in a game environment.

Even in the real world we have to pay people to donate blood or get them to attend blood drives through various means of evoking charity out of individuals to ensure we have a ready supply of all known blood types to deal with volemic fluid loss in trauma patients and we also have to refresh that supply about every two weeks or so cause it doesn't stay usable forever. And even then the process of blood transfusion is a relatively complex procedure that not just any hack off the street can do.

Now you take a system like this and move it into DayZ and you end up with a lot of relative confusion until people realize how absolutely useless it actually is. There is no ready supply of blood to be found anywhere. Theres no method of engendering donation other than at gunpoint and even then you're probably not going to get the right blood and....then what? At best you might be able to carry six blood bags of various types on hand but what if you need to administer immediate aid to someone and you don't already know their blood type?

In the military we had a way to get around this kind of confusing situation...it was kinda important cause getting fluids into a patient in a field trauma situation might be critical to their survival, the saline bag is a fair nod towards dealing with immediate volemic loss, but again this does not in any way seem to directly address blood volume loss that can only be done by transfusion. And as stated in the military we didn't need to do a blood test...thats what dog tags were for. We could tell blood type right there at the scene and call in the transfusion type needed as we were moving the patient to medevac, this continues to stand today where I can literally get someones blood type from any number of federal and/or state ID's simply by looking at them and/or swiping their mag strip to get the patients critical medical data.

But again....thats taking a patient somewhere where a ready supply of blood already is. There is none in this scenario..so we need donors, thus forcing a greater need for cooperation amongst players...at least on Planet Rocket where everything that makes logical sense never plays out in any other way than was envisioned in his head.

This system drives people to not survive, because dying is easier than living....much much easier. And in fact its technically more fun killing as many people as you can before you die, than it is to try to survive having almost died.

So in a word...as much as this system impresses me...it needs some work.

Edited by semipr0

Or you have it tattooed onto your body :)

What we do ingame is, as soon as you find a blood bag after spawn, you let someone else take your blood and then you keep the bag. Over time you'll regenerate the blood if you're well fed and hydrated. When in critical need of blood, like after a firefight, you can give the bag to a friend and let them transfuse your own blood to you. 

So that's what for are IV kits.

Also sometimes you will find a Saline Bag with no IV attached. In that case you would need to take the IV kit and attached it to the Saline Bag. :thumbsup:

@SemiPr0 There is a few simple fixes for that. 1) You can do like Phoboss said and arrange things before hand with your friends. 2) You can look around until you find some one with O- (not that hard as O is the most popular type) and collect several bags of it. 3) You can just skip the blood bags and go with saline bags, if you can find enough of them. In the event there is a big battle and your medics run out of saline the blood bag offers a nice emergency alternative.

If you, or anyone else, would rather just die than try to live then you are probably better off playing COD than DayZ since this is a survival game. Me personally I take it as a point of pride when I almost die and find a way to survive. But I once spent 2 days in the mod crawling around the NWAF until I found some morphine to fix my broken leg. ;)

Complex game mechanics are good, complicated game mechanics are bad. It would be far more fun imo if  blood was just blood without the types. My friend and I take each others blood and hold onto it so we are guaranteed to have the right type for one another but in an emergency you're just flipping a coin. Test kits are far to rare and the inability to write the type on the blood makes it difficult to keep track of. It might as well be no blood types and 50% chance that a blood transfusion will kill you.

I've never even had the chance to use blood, shot - dead every time which is a shame. I would love a moment where I am having to bring someone back from the brink. Only time I've used a saline is when my friend was seeing the light from other reasons (relatively safe).

Edited by Nanoha

Get the wrong blood type and you are essentially dead. I didn't know there were blood types as got a blood transfusion of this guy I captured. I was instantly knocked unconscious. It was 3 minutes before I decided to respawn as I didn't have anything good I just picked this stuff up from a dead guy. And the dude I got the blood from also passed out from lack of blood which was pretty funny. We could still talk to each other while unconscious.

How to you check what blood type you have? Or an I just blind and its right in front of me when I was doing the transfusion.

Also sometimes you will find a Saline Bag with no IV attached. In that case you would need to take the IV kit and attached it to the Saline Bag. :thumbsup:

@SemiPr0 There is a few simple fixes for that. 1) You can do like Phoboss said and arrange things before hand with your friends. 2) You can look around until you find some one with O- (not that hard as O is the most popular type) and collect several bags of it. 3) You can just skip the blood bags and go with saline bags, if you can find enough of them. In the event there is a big battle and your medics run out of saline the blood bag offers a nice emergency alternative.

If you, or anyone else, would rather just die than try to live then you are probably better off playing COD than DayZ since this is a survival game. Me personally I take it as a point of pride when I almost die and find a way to survive. But I once spent 2 days in the mod crawling around the NWAF until I found some morphine to fix my broken leg. ;)

I'd much rather survive. But I'm also not good with games that expect me to be playing with a friend at all times. I tend to play on my own a lot because my clans not committing to the standalone in alpha and my wife and I can't play together due to the wonderful WRT54G router problem BIS software always has...so I'm kinda stuck on my own.

As much as I'd rather survive, I'm just as likely to die approaching someone I don't know to give me a saline drip as I'd be to shoot at them first simply to avoid the potential of them killing me because I've let them know I'm injured and easy to take down for my stuff.

I do keep medical supplies on hand, and I do my best to survive at all times, but what I'm saying is that any system of survival that doesn't give a single individual much of an option other than to die...or to probably die in the process of attempting not to die..is a system that is going to see more people opting to die rather than bother with it.

Natural regeneration is not as cut and dried as the information out there on it makes out, so staying well hydrated and eating well doesn't really offer much of an acceptable alternative for those of us that don't come with another player in our back pocket to help us "survive" this survival simulation.

And again, on the internet...and yes, even in the real world, if you tell somone you're weak and you need their help...its highly likely that they'll either ignore you and/or exploit that weakness to take advantage of you in some way...and in DayZ...its as simple as saying "Sure I'll help you" then clocking the poor bastard in the head with an axe when you see them switch their gun down from the ready position.

As much as I'd like to join you in a fantasy world where this kind of thing isn't more common than people actually helping other people they don't know out....its just not a realistic vision at all.

Edited by semipr0

The one thing I would like to change is that the bags need to be marked some how with the blood. Hope they fix that.

@Lemonator you can test your blood type by using a blood test kit. They are not really that rare, I usually end up with a bunch of them; I loot hospitals far more than I do air fields.

• Like 1

I feel like saline and blood transfusions should be reversed. Saline should only restore 1000 blood, a blood transfusion should heal you in full. There's no risk to using a saline bag whatsoever so... where is the incentive to use a blood transfusion? Seems terribly imbalanced.

Natural regeneration is not as cut and dried as the information out there on it makes out, so staying well hydrated and eating well doesn't really offer much of an acceptable alternative for those of us that don't come with another player in our back pocket to help us "survive" this survival simulation.

Fair enough. I pretty much play on my own all the time as well, at least until this thing gets further along. But it is pretty realistic that things will be tougher for you if you are alone. You need to be more safe. If you get hurt trying to heal yourself will be tougher than if you had a buddy with you.

I usually hang out in the south and if you need a hand I can come fix you up :thumbsup:

I feel like saline and blood transfusions should be reversed. Saline should only restore 1000 blood, a blood transfusion should heal you in full. There's no risk to using a saline bag whatsoever so... where is the incentive to use a blood transfusion? Seems terribly imbalanced.

Uh Saline doesn't actually restore lost blood, it restores volemic loss, which is a temporary solution to keeping volemic pressure up and dealing with shock.

Shock does not currently appear to be fully integrated in any kind of actual debilitating way...at least not realistically, you have to be REALLY near to dead to start passing out from exertion for example. Even if a saline bag does deal with the immediate problems of vision impairment, its still not replacing the actual blood volume lost.

So numerically it kinda looks like this.

Healthy = 12000

Wounded = 3000

Wounded/Saline = 3000/9000 (only 3000 of that counts in regards to further injury)

Wounded/Transfusion = back to 12000

Thats my pseudo logical understanding of how that actually works.

Edit: Wait hold on....transfusions are only giving 1000 blood back? That can't be right at all. Nobody is going to have the time to collect and use 6+ blood bags for themselves much less anyone else...its just not anywhere near feasible and 1000 blood is the difference between nothing and nothing if you're down around 1000 blood as it is.

Sorry about that my last understanding was that transfusions actually replaced all lost blood volume, not literally a liter of it. Okay Rocket....realistic medical system too realistic now. Dial it back a little there champ.

Edited by semipr0