Sign in to follow this  
deansafce

Hey all

Just thought id say hello to everyone .

Been watching stuff about the stand alone game for a while now and thought id have a shot at it .I know its early days but iam liking it already even with bugs and all .

BTW i need some backup so if theres any UK or english speaking Clans out gimme a shout.

Cyas around :)

Welcome to DayZ, folks!

Any questions, feel free to give me a shout either in here or via PM. Only too happy to help. :)

Thanks! Its pretty hard to get your bearings in the beginning! Especially as I'm waiting on a new computer, so I currently play with incredible lag. 

Thanks! Its pretty hard to get your bearings in the beginning! Especially as I'm waiting on a new computer, so I currently play with incredible lag. 

Yeah, it can take a little while to get your head straight and work out where you are and what you're supposed to do. Did you play the mod at all, or have you jumped straight into the Standalone?

Yeah, it can take a little while to get your head straight and work out where you are and what you're supposed to do. Did you play the mod at all, or have you jumped straight into the Standalone?

Jumped straight into standalone. I've been watching others play the mod though, so I had a general idea of what is what. I'm currently roaming the wilderness unable to find any buildings or anything at all. Something is telling me that I might die out here, haha!

• Like 1

Hah! Well, that's one of the many fun parts of DayZ - each and every death will teach you something, whether it's that zombies can walk through walls (at the moment!) or that a compass is a very handy thing to have indeed, you learn something new every life!

Good to see you've got the right idea though in getting off the South coast and exploring inland a bit - not only are you much less likely to get shot on sight by someone geared to the teeth, but you're also much more likely to find loot. That is, assuming you can find a town. :p

When I get lost, I simply pick a direction and start running in a completely straight line until I see something I feel might lead me somewhere useful (roads, power lines, a tower/mast in the distance) - if you turn every now and then, you'll probably end up going in circles!

Hi there...Welcome to the forums :D

Check some threads to get tips to survive in Chernarus...

Have fun out there...

Hah! Well, that's one of the many fun parts of DayZ - each and every death will teach you something, whether it's that zombies can walk through walls (at the moment!) or that a compass is a very handy thing to have indeed, you learn something new every life!

Good to see you've got the right idea though in getting off the South coast and exploring inland a bit - not only are you much less likely to get shot on sight by someone geared to the teeth, but you're also much more likely to find loot. That is, assuming you can find a town. :P

When I get lost, I simply pick a direction and start running in a completely straight line until I see something I feel might lead me somewhere useful (roads, power lines, a tower/mast in the distance) - if you turn every now and then, you'll probably end up going in circles!

Yeah I didn't think staying by the road/rail track would be a wise move. I managed to find a petrol station and found myself a compass and knife. I keep walking past a tree and thinking, 'I swear I've seen you before...'

Yeah I didn't think staying by the road/rail track would be a wise move. I managed to find a petrol station and found myself a compass and knife. I keep walking past a tree and thinking, 'I swear I've seen you before...'

It's a difficult one - sticking by roads/tracks obviously makes it easier to find towns/houses, but obviously also exposes you to a higher risk of ambush/bumping into an unfriendly player. I suppose it's about balancing risks - sooner or later the risk of death by starvation/dehydration will become greater than the risk of being killed by a hostile player, and that's when you have to make the call. That compass will help a lot though, particularly if you can find a map (try petrol stations and wrecked cars) to use it with, although you'll probably need to find a town before you can reliably pinpoint your location (unless you happen to be a particularly adept map reader!).

The knife's a handy find though - at least now you'll have an option for opening cans of beans besides the rarer-than-rockinghorse-shit can openers. There's nothing worse than being on the verge of starvation, finding a can of beans and then realising with horror you have no way of opening them!

Also, talking to the trees (or at least referring to them as 'you'!) is probably a bad sign. The hallucinations are kicking in already. :p

Also, talking to the trees (or at least referring to them as 'you'!) is probably a bad sign. The hallucinations are kicking in already. :P

Haha! I thought so as much! Well I've totally got myself lost now but ah well. I don't really have a lot to lose if I do die. One thing though, as I'm running through the trees I keep hearing what sounds like a cat being strangled/coughing. Are these zombie noises? I've been hearing them for the best part of 15 minutes.

Haha! I thought so as much! Well I've totally got myself lost now but ah well. I don't really have a lot to lose if I do die. One thing though, as I'm running through the trees I keep hearing what sounds like a cat being strangled/coughing. Are these zombie noises? I've been hearing them for the best part of 15 minutes.

Yeah, that sounds like zombie aggro. There's a bit of a known bug at the moment where you'll hear zombie aggression sounds despite being a long way away from any zombies. Sometimes it's a bunny wabbit, sometimes it's not. But yeah, it doesn't help your nerves (or sanity) when that happens, particularly for newer players! :)

Welcome man,

And if you are still looking for a Clan to run with AOD is recruiting, we have a Ventrillio server, and always have members on running around in a group.

Feel free to add me on steam, ID is AOD_Samiam_Jr

or you can check us out at ClanAOD.net

Welcome to DayZ and the Forums! Enjoy the ride and keep your arms and legs inside the car!