landfish

Classes in DayZ

I remember this mentioned before and the general consensus was it wasn't a good idea because you shouldn't have any sort of advantage over another player in any aspect unless you personally put that effort into it. So you all start out as identical people, as even as possible, and if you want to specialize in something, you have to do it yourself. If you want to be a medic, go scavenge the medical supplies yourself. Mechanic? Get the car parts and store them somewhere. Sniper? Practice your aim. You get the drift. It's just not what DayZ is going for.

This isn't enough to make the game nteresting. It will get boring after some time just like the mod. Skills are necessary. Not classes, but skills. So if we bandaged ourselves 10 times we bandage ourselves 10% faster, etc. It's still 100% realistic, since in real world if we keep doing something we're getting better at doing in. It's something that needs to be added to make the game more interesting, that would let people work not only on their gear but on their character, and it would also make them actually care about their life, if you survived for very long and you got very good at something, you would always try to survive, even if you had to sacrifice your gear, ex. when someone robs you. Right now most people just rush a robber or try to run away from 3 people poiting a hun at him, because they don't care about their lives, for them it doesn't matter if you die of stay alive. Fear of dying is something that should be one of the main features in DayZ.

And weapons skills wouldn't be like 20% less recoil or higher dmg, but 10% faster running with a weapon equipped, faster scoping etc

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 2

This isn't enough to make the game nteresting. It will get boring after some time just like the mod. Skills are necessary. Not classes, but skills. So if we bandaged ourselves 10 times we bandage ourselves 10% faster, etc. It's still 100% realistic, since in real world if we keep doing something we're getting better at doing in. It's something that needs to be added to make the game more interesting, that would let people work not only on their gear but on their character, and it would also make them actually care about their life, if you survived for very long and you got very good at something, you would always try to survive, even if you had to sacrifice your gear, ex. when someone robs you. Right now most people just rush a robber or try to run away from 3 people poiting a hun at him, because they don't care about their lives, for them it doesn't matter if you die of stay alive. Fear of dying is something that should be one of the main features in DayZ.

This I would much prefer. I saw this posted a while ago too and I was behind it. The longer I'm alive, the better I should become at staying alive. However, I feel that the numbers should be much bigger, so instead of 10 bandages for 10%, something like 50 bandages. It'd be far too easy to simply grind back up to where you were before if you die should they be too low.

The reason I prefer this one is because there's a sense of the player actually working to achieve these bonuses, not given to them because they pressed a button to give it to them. I don't think the bonuses should go too high though, or it may still turn into a grind-fest as a lot of people are willing to bandage themselves a thousand times if you tell them it'll make them immune to bleeding.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 1

I'm against restricting freedom in games like this and I don't think my suggestion is has anything against freedom. Its just that, you can't walk the world as hazardous as DayZ all alone and expect to survive for long and DayZ needs to take that into account, and don't you think this will give some sort background for your character so it isn't just a walking gun?

i'm sorry but, what? by adding a class system you're doing exactly that; RESTRICTING freedom. this game is a gem because its one of the few open ended semi-sandboxy games on the market right now and probably will be for quite some time. classes are nothing but bad for this game and they don't belong at all.

a skill system like the ones mentioned above are a far better option.

Edited by No Classes PLEASE