pogosphere

Why is the world of dayz so static ?

This is literally the worst, most misinformed thread I have ever seen on this site. What a pathetic understanding of game design and the RV engine.

I know, if you don't like the game, why don't you go make your own? Idiots.

• Like 2

Tell me ONE game, that made a complete game in 1 YEAR, with a small team, with a 225km map, with almost every building entrable, that doesn't have bugs and glitches, and don't copied and pasted their last game like COD, tell me.

Dude..There's no reason to argue with this guy..He clearly is just a hater and dumb...

He is complaining about DayZ not being done, even though it does say everywhere that it's still an alpha..

But hey, he happily keeps praising games that he has seen 5 mins long gameplay of and that arent even out yet....Like The Division (comming out god knows when if not late 2015) or Dying Light.

Edited by OntyCZE

Before i start:

Plz dont answer the following questions with :"Its just an alpha!"

Its just an alpha for almost 3 years now.

You are working very hard on becoming the next duke nukem forever.

The rant is starting in   3,2,1 ....  hf.

The Questions:

Static world:

-Why is the world in the game so static.I cant even destroy a wooden fence or door, with an axe.Even half life 2 , nine years ago , had destructible wooden objects.

You must not even look at games like crysis,battlefield,the division or infamous-second sun, which have state of the art physics.Almost every game since the last 10 years has a physic  engine to some degree, you have none, not in the slightest!!Beside of text-fade ins and opening animations for doors, there is absolute no hint of interacting with the environment.

What sense makes a large map, when players on the map cant even interact with objects on the map in a physical way, because the server cant handle the traffic, or runs out of memory.

Your netcode is terrible optimized since arma 2. I cant even play arma 3 with an geforce gtx 780 on high settings(high not ultra!) on most server, without heavy framedrops almost everywhere on the map.

Nearly every action in this game from opening a waterbottle/can to climbing over a fence , drinking water, eating , fighting with an axe or your fists feels ether:

-clunky

-is clipping

-incorrect animated(opening waterbottle and drinking out of it without taking of the lid,...)

-is only represented by text fade ins.

(Is it to much to ask to put animations for pumping a well, in the game, instead of fading in text.This game is not a text adventure like "myst")

-has no physical impact-animation on the enemy/object, if hitting it.

(If you hit a man with an axe in the face, then his head should split. If you hit him with a dull objekt like a fire-extinguisher he should bounce to the ground asap )

or most of them at the same time.

Have you ever heard of "the last of us", "mirrors edge" or "zeno clash" (plz google them if you need to see how good combat/-animations should be made):

the last of us combat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgaUBI3o7Hw

zeno clash combat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA0uTRHyGh8

Zeno clash is an indie game , if you try to argue that last of us has higher production value...

look not even these guys having fun and they get paid for having fun at games. Look at 1:22:00 and at  1:30:40  in there stream:

"http://de.twitch.tv/destiny/b/490335809"

Graphics:

-Why are the graphics so mediocre. Why don't you at least use the graphic-engine of arma 3 instead of arma 2.5.

There are so many good engines out there, look at games like :

-the division

-watchdogs

-crysis 3

-Infamous

-dying light

- the witcher 3

- destiny

You made so much money with games like arma 2 , arma 3 and dayz so far. So why not invests some of that money into a good,stable  engine for dayz to give the fans something

back for their money.

Have you ever heard of proper shader use, dynamical lighting or just even bump mapping when you want to simulate the shape of a brick wall, instead of putting an absolutely flat looking  texture on the wall of a brick-building.

Are you planing on developing this game for direct 9 + graphic cards  ?

Here are some videos for you so that you can look up at all the dx 11 features:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh404562(v=vs.85).aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU

Nontranceparent developmentprocess:

-Why is your developmentprocess so nontransparent. Can you at least say how many developers are working at the moment on dayz and have worked on the game in the past?

You are working since almost three years on dayz now and all you have to show us is the map which alleady existed in arma 2 sligthly altered, with accessible indoor areas now, changeable clothes and an inventory and item managment system.

I have never seen that some developer is so proud of his inventorysystem. You act like an inventory is something groundbreaking which has never done before in video game history.Nearly every itembased game has an inventorysystem in some form.

So plz stop this copy and paste mentality and give us something worth our money . Why would anyone buy arma 2 again for 60 dollars just because you renamed it as dayz.I don't care how you call it, at this point its still arma 2 mp with more indoor areas which look even worst than the outdoor environments from a graphical standpoint.

If you sell it on steam for 30$ as alpha version and if you planning to sell it in the price-area of arma 3 after release, then we should get at least the same quality as in other triple A titles which coast the same amount of money , which means same graphics ,same physics.

And some zombies which are not stucked in the furniture and can actually kill you, where also nice to have.

If arma2 and 3 where priced only with 20 dollars at there release date, i would not care or rage , but you where priceing them as triple A (60$) and delivering every time a very unfinishedexpirience, which was even broken to some degree and had to rely heavily on mod suport , made much money out of it and thank it to your costumors in this way by delivering this state of the game after three years of alpha.

Where did all the money went into? If you want people to pay for premium quality than you need to give them premium quality and there for you need to invest in infrastructure

like a healty amount of developers a good stable and bugfree engine,good netcode. I cant see any of that in your products.

I expect a lot of hate from the mindless fanboys :

So dont dissapoint me.

Wow!! for someone to rant like this and NOT  read the "alpha" disclaimer makes me lol....HARD!!.

• Like 3

There's no reason to argue with this guy..He clearly is just a hater and dumb...

He is complaining about DayZ not being done, even though it does say everywhere that it's still an alpha..

But hey, he happily keeps praising games that he has seen 5 mins long gameplay of and that arent even out yet....Like The Division (comming out god knows when if not late 2015) or Dying Light.

Actually, I think he was arguing in the favor of DayZ.

• Like 1

Actually, I think he was arguing in the favor of DayZ.

Oh probably shouldn't respond like that sorry...I was just reacting to the commet i quoted to inform lets 4 dead that he's probably just wasting his time arguing with the ''i know everything'' guy.

My opinion... Some engines, like people said, are good for some aspects of a game and dont cope with other aspects of it...

Dayz engine does a great work...we have a big map with a lot of places to look/travel...and in the mod you do have some destruction features  :thumbsup:

Even if it were posible to include every good feature of others games...your prob. gonna need 3 NASA cpus working together to play it with a map as big as Chernarus+ :o

I think players, like me, play for its gameplay and freedom you can have...

No other game makes me feel that anxious in some situations you can find out there

Anyway...if the game does not fulfil with your needs...you can stop playing if you like

See ya

Edited by XjoseX
  • Like 1

Personally I agree with everything DMZ_sniper said, couldn't have put it better myself, except about Dev transparancy, I have never known a developer be so involved with his potential customers, on this forum, on reddit and on twitter.

Sad to say I'm old enough that I'd been playing games for years before Operation Flashpoint came out, at that time about the only shooters around were level based corridor shooters like doom, quake, hexen, heretic or if wanted military co-op you could play with three mates on Rainbow Six, (small linear levels, all of them).

When OFP came out it was absolutely revolutionary, massive areas where you could walk to the mountains on the horizon and climb up them, they weren't just painted backdrops like every other game, and the multiplayer allowed many people to play together in many different ways. AND it came with an easy to use mission editor which is still amazing and yet to be beaten.

And then if that wasn't enough, they opened their arms to the modding community and the mods kept that game alive. Even today you can find clans that still play OFP.

With the the Arma games that followed they kept making the maps larger and improving the game and the modders kept modding.

And now Dayz comes along and there are some youngsters out there that think that It's based on just another engine, but honestly even now, 13 years since OFP released what other engine even comes close?

Skyrim perhaps? nope, Skyrim doesn't have the capability to fly jets or heli's across it's landscape and isn't that big really, it's just cleverly designed so that it seems large.

maybe Planetside2? that has a huge map, and vehicles, but do any of them go as fast as an F16 in Arma? Nope because they get the size by hosting each part of the map on a different server, it's not one huge map per server like dayz instead its small levels stitched together so planes need to go slow to allow for server synching.

Neither of the above which are the closest I can think of in map size to Arma or Dayz allow you to destroy buildings or fences (which Arma does).

So in 13 years since OFP came out NO single developer has made a game with comparable size, physics, vehicles, ballistics, modabilty, or versatility as the real virtuality engine NO ONE.

And Dayz shows its legacy even now.

In OFP third person view was used to command your squad (yes, you could command a squad of 12 AI and with mods that could be extended to an army of 128!, oh and it also had a top-down command view) and nobody envisioned that 3pv would be a contentious issue in a zombie survival game :)

So OP, you tell me, Is there a single game on the market right now that comes even close to having the capabilities of Arma or Dayz? 'cause I haven't seen one, not a single one.

Bohemia Interactive always did kick ass, they still Kick ass, and they always will kick ass. they are the only developers I know of who's games are not only technically ground breaking when they release but also go on to improve for years afterwards thanks to their openness with their community.

You can call me  Fanboy if it makes you happy, but five years ago I bought Arma2 for £20, I played it most weekends and a lot of weeknights, probably around about 30- 40hrs a week for 250 weeks (ish), that comes in at around 7,500 hrs of excellent fun times for £25, I call that a bargain, how many hours you getting from 'The last of us' for your £40:).

With Dayz there are people on these very forums that have spent hundreds of hours playing this game as a free mod, and I daresay that not many ever cared that they couldn't vandalize a door with an axe :)

So maybe before going on a forum to throw your toys out of your pram, I would suggest that it may be a good idea to do some research and you may find out that the very things that you complain about are the sacrifices that have to be made when creating such an EXTRAORDINARY engine, which in 13 years has yet to acquire a single competitor in its class, (and many have tried, anybody remember that crappy codemasters game OFP dragon rising?).

Edited by Lord Snapcase
  • Like 6

Tell me ONE game, that made a complete game in 1 YEAR, with a small team, with a 225km map, with almost every building entrable, that doesn't have bugs and glitches, and don't copied and pasted their last game like COD, tell me.

Thank you all for all of the good coments. I actually am suprised on how much backup i get from all of you for my topic.

Plz keep this topic fresh .Good work so far from the dayz comunity you dont have disapointed me so far. :)

Why are you pointing this with the 225km map out, again and again?

Does it makes the gameplay any better than if it would only be 112.5 km ?

What does it bring to the game haveing an 225 km map which is beside of the buildings and 3 zombies + 40 players on the map totally empty and unable to interact with any object on a physical way.

The mapsize is way to huge for 40 players , make it even 100 players(which i only belive when i see it).

There is a difference between quality and quantity.

Bigger maps equals not automatically more fun or better game.

Even more if the map is as empty and boring as the arma 2 map.

Bohemia Interactive always forgets to put the actually gameplay in the game and than mod makers must help them out.

• Like 1

Personally I agree with everything DMZ_sniper said, couldn't have put it better myself, except about Dev transparancy, I have never known a developer be so involved with his potential customers, on this forum, on reddit and on twitter.

Sad to say I'm old enough that I'd been playing games for years before Operation Flashpoint came out, at that time about the only shooters around were level based corridor shooters like doom, quake, hexen, heretic or if wanted military co-op you could play with three mates on Rainbow Six, (small linear levels, all of them).

When OFP came out it was absolutely revolutionary, massive areas where you could walk to the mountains on the horizon and climb up them, they weren't just painted backdrops like every other game, and the multiplayer allowed many people to play together in many different ways. AND it came with an easy to use mission editor which is still amazing and yet to be beaten.

And then if that wasn't enough, they opened their arms to the modding community and the mods kept that game alive. Even today you can find clans that still play OFP.

With the the Arma games that followed they kept making the maps larger and improving the game and the modders kept modding.

And now Dayz comes along and there are some youngsters out there that think that It's based on just another engine, but honestly even now, 13 years since OFP released what other engine even comes close?

Skyrim perhaps? nope, Skyrim doesn't have the capability to fly jets or heli's across it's landscape and isn't that big really, it's just cleverly designed so that it seems large.

maybe Planetside2? that has a huge map, and vehicles, but do any of them go as fast as an F16 in Arma? Nope because they get the size by hosting each part of the map on a different server, it's not one huge map per server like dayz instead its small levels stitched together so planes need to go slow to allow for server synching.

Neither of the above which are the closest I can think of in map size to Arma or Dayz allow you to destroy buildings or fences (which Arma does).

So in 13 years since OFP came out NO single developer has made a game with comparable size, physics, vehicles, ballistics, modabilty, or versatility as the real virtuality engine NO ONE.

And Dayz shows its legacy even now.

In OFP third person view was used to command your squad (yes, you could command a squad of 12 AI and with mods that could be extended to an army of 128!, oh and it also had a top-down command view) and nobody envisioned that 3pv would be a contentious issue in a zombie survival game :)

So OP, you tell me, Is there a single game on the market right now that comes even close to having the capabilities of Arma or Dayz? 'cause I haven't seen one, not a single one.

Bohemia Interactive always did kick ass, they still Kick ass, and they always will kick ass. they are the only developers I know of who's games are not only technically ground breaking when they release but also go on to improve for years afterwards thanks to their openness with their community.

You can call me  Fanboy if it makes you happy, but five years ago I bought Arma2 for £20, I played it most weekends and a lot of weeknights, probably around about 30- 40hrs a week for 250 weeks (ish), that comes in at around 7,500 hrs of excellent fun times for £25, I call that a bargain, how many hours you getting from 'The last of us' for your £40:).

With Dayz there are people on these very forums that have spent hundreds of hours playing this game as a free mod, and I daresay that not many ever cared that they couldn't vandalize a door with an axe :)

So maybe before going on a forum to throw your toys out of your pram, I would suggest that it may be a good idea to do some research and you may find out that the very things that you complain about are the sacrifices that have to be made when creating such an EXTRAORDINARY engine, which in 13 years has yet to acquire a single competitor in its class, (and many have tried, anybody remember that crappy codemasters game OFP dragon rising?).

Man I love you, you said everything, and more

Thank you all for all of the good coments. I actually am suprised on how much backup i get from all of you for my topic.

Plz keep this topic fresh .Good work so far from the dayz comunity you dont have disapointed me so far. :)

Why are you pointing this with the 225km map out, again and again?

Does it makes the gameplay any better than if it would only be 112.5 km ?

What does it bring to the game haveing an 225 km map which is beside of the buildings and 3 zombies + 40 players on the map totally empty and unable to interact with any object on a physical way.

The mapsize is way to huge for 40 players , make it even 100 players(which i only belive when i see it).

There is a difference between quality and quantity.

Bigger maps equals not automatically more fun or better game.

Even more if the map is as empty and boring as the arma 2 map.

Bohemia Interactive always forgets to put the actually gameplay in the game and than mod makers must help them out.

Man, at the beggining of the whole thread u stated that oyu know its in alpha...Yet you still keep crying about stuff thats not finall and it's at current stage because of the early alpha.

You're one failed troll, you gotta do better than that....

Edited by OntyCZE

Man, at the beggining of the whole thread u stated that oyu know its in alpha...Yet you still keep crying about stuff thats not finall and it's at current stage because of the early alpha.

You're one failed troll, you gotta do better than that....

What i wrote was:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before i start:

Plz dont answer the following questions with :"Its just an alpha!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plz read the text more carefully and try to understand the context of the words in the sentences.

Beside of that i like all of your coments,OntyCZE, you made in regard to my topic.Good job so far.

I would give you a heart for that but the list with the emoticons has sadly no one in it. :(

The only fact i dont get straight in my topic is the point with the 3 years aplha state.

But beside that every word of me in my topic is carefully aranged and placed and pure gold.

Edited by pogosphere

However your brain isnt carefully aranged, i even doubt that it's placed where it has to be.

Fail troll, go back to your cave.

Edited by OntyCZE

Good lord this thread...

2/10 I replied.

Unless you're serious, in which case. my apologies to your family.

This is thread is so pointless and you try to validate it by saying don't respond with the games in alpha excuse, I see so many threads that have that first as like a disclaimer and then go on to moan about things things as if they are playing a triple A title that has been in design for 3 years and has had a massive budget with a hoard of people designing and programming it, this is Day Z Alpha meaning it is in it's earliest stages of development, I'm not saying that the things you mentioned should be added or even that they will be added, but it is pretty clear that if you wanna start playing this game at this point in it's development, then you should only be here to point out bugs and help in the game development not expect it to be a fully fleshed out experience.

Now don't get me wrong Dayz is not perfect there are alot of problems with it bug wise, but it has so much potential with the frame work that they spent the past year developing that with patience I believe it's going somewhere, just not where you want it to go.

However your brain isnt carefully aranged, i even doubt that it's placed where it has to be.

Fail troll, go back to your cave.

Yes your logic is undeniable as always.

After the :

--------------------------------

"Please kill yourself"

--------------------------------

"let the guy rot in his cave"

----------------------------------

and the :

--------------------------------------

"Fail troll,go back to your cave"

--------------------------------------

topic i see that you are a deeply minded thinker who dont likes the extensive use of catch/prases.

Not like thoe guys who browse the whole day those Meme sites just to collect some prases they write down and put out again if the situation is fitting just to type them in again in an forum. :)

So under this circumstances what are you saying to the following question ?

Questions:

What does it bring to the game haveing an 225 km map which is beside of the buildings and 3 zombies + 40 players on the map totally empty and unable to interact with any object on a physical way?

Is the mapsize not way to huge for 40 players , make it even 100 players(which i only belive when i see it).

Is there is a difference between quality and quantity?

Does bigger maps equals  automatically more fun or better game?

Even  if the map is as empty and boring as the arma 2 map?

Edited by pogosphere
  • Like 1

Oh you're still here..Got anything else on your mind? By the looks of it you're the one that knows everything.

Good lord this thread...

2/10 I replied.

Unless you're serious, in which case. my apologies to your family.

2/10 for your picture/icon with the faked "Reichsadler". For all of you who dont know what his symbol means just google "Reichsadler" in google pictures. And than say me if you are ok with his mentality.

So 2/10 for your tolerance.

Besid of that all of your points are valid.

Oh you're still here..Got anything else on your mind? By the looks of it you're the one that knows everything.

Yes i have nothing else to do at the moment and i must waste at least more more hour.

But you quit entertain me a lot , in a good way .

___d88888888b_____d88888888b

__d88?____d88b___d88b____`88b

_d8?_________d888b_________`8b

_8b_________________________d8

_b8___pogosphere______d8888b__d8888b

__d8________________d8?__d8b_d8b__`8b

___8ba_____________d8?_____d8b_____`8b

____`8da___________8b___OntyCze_____d8

______`Y8b__________d8_____________8b

________`8b__________8ba_________ad8

__________`88_____88__`8da_____ab8?

____________8b___d8_____`Y8___8Y?

_____________`b_d?________`8_8?

______________`8?__________`8?

_______________"____________"

Edited by pogosphere

I can't take your criticism seriously, just because you keep complaining about lack of features/zombies/max players in game that's still in early alpha stage and is being worked on to boost all of these..

I guess you haven't played the mod, because you wouldn't be like that. The game is a lot different from the mod, at this point you'd probably bring up that the map is the same..It might be the same in some aspects, however most of the towns and villages are re-done and bigger than they used to be. 95% of the buildings are opened, again if you've played the mod previously you would've known that back in the days, there was no point in visiting a town or a village, because everything was locked down or there was maximum of 3 building you could enter...Also it doesn't look like the map is finished yet..Look north..Ton's of roads, no buildings..More cities coming.

3 zombies + 40 players as said previously alpha...If im not mistaken, Dean said he won't be satisfied until the server's able to take at least 120 players..

Zombies are pretty much the same thing as players, but thousands of them..

About the destruction, i'm quite sure you will be able to destroy walls,wooden fences as you were able to do in mod. I guess taking down whole building could be an option aswell as it was possible in ArmA, however i don't see how you'd be able to do it..

Anyways, did you get your answers already..And also why is it us answering your questions...

Let's see, what games do you play and how do you think this game should look like?

It's gonna take a while until this game is done, in my opinion the developement will never stop as ideas will keep coming and coming and new stuff will be added even after the game reaches it's ''full release''

Edited by OntyCZE

The map could use more work and it's going to get more work but as it stands right now...I think it's beautiful.

I can't take your criticism seriously, just because you keep complaining about lack of features/zombies/max players in game that's still in early alpha stage and is being worked on to boost all of these..

I guess you haven't played the mod, because you wouldn't be like that. The game is a lot different from the mod, at this point you'd probably bring up that the map is the same..It might be the same in some aspects, however most of the towns and villages are re-done and bigger than they used to be. 95% of the buildings are opened, again if you've played the mod previously you would've known that back in the days, there was no point in visiting a town or a village, because everything was locked down or there was maximum of 3 building you could enter..

3 zombies + 40 players as said previously alpha...If im not mistaken, Dean said he won't be satisfied until the server's able to take at least 120 players..

Zombies are pretty much the same thing as players, but thousands of them..

About the destruction, i'm quite sure you will be able to destroy walls,wooden fences as you were able to do in mod. I guess taking down whole building could be an option aswell as it was possible in ArmA, however i don't see how you'd be able to do it..

Anyways, did you get your answers already..And also why is it us answering your questions...

Let's see, what games do you play and how do you think this game should look like?

It's gonna take a while until this game is done, in my opinion the developement will never stop as ideas will keep coming and coming and new stuff will be added even after the game reaches it's ''full release''

Mhh i like games like:

-Mirros Edge

-Starcraft

-Fallout1-3

-Silent Hill 2

-Battlefield 2

-unreal tournament

-Portal,Portal2

-Deus Ex

-Counterstrike

-MW1-2

-Quake arena

-MVC 3

-Minecraft

-Ikaruga

-Super Mario 64

-Zelda: Link to the Past

-Super Metroid

-Doom

those where some of the games i had fun memories about.

What about you ? Are you a guy who likes emma watson or a woman who likes to be like ema watson ?

Edited by pogosphere

Lemme be you for a sec..

You didn't answer me there..

Let's see, what games do you play and how do you think this game should look like? (DayZ ofc)

Btw which one of these has the super awesome destruction and all the stuff that DayZ is missing so much?

Answer to your question:

No, I am Emma Watson.

Edited by OntyCZE
  • Like 1