vile.

Using RAMdisk to increase FPS

Is anyone using this?

Apparently you can increase your Arma2 and DayZ frame rate a lot and get rid of the stuttering if you use RAMdisk to launch the game from RAM instead of your HDD or SSD.

I found some threads about it on the BI forums and apparently this can give you a massive fps boost and get rid of the stuttering when zooming and make gameplay in big cities much smoother.

Would love to get some info if this is still viable, since most 80% of my 16 Gigs of RAM are unused all the time.

Thread on the BI forums about RAMdisk:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?88388-Here-s-how-I-got-ARMA2-to-perform-smoothly-using-RAMDISK

Yeah, it removes the slight stuttering that is caused by chernarus streaming from disk. Not a silver bullet tho, but very enjoyable if you are in vehicles.

• Like 1

What the good Lady Kyrah said; it's good, not great. I only have 4GB on my laptop, but if I ever invest in a 16+ GB + SSD computer, you can bet I'll be giving Ramdisk a whirl.

do you need to install the whole game on the ramdisk ? that means atm u would need 6 GB free ram space to try it ?

Edited by chris90

I've thought about that too, because i have 32 GB of Ram on my machine... but i don't really need an fps increase, because normally i play dayz mod and SA with 60/140 fps on high/low settings... i don't see any stuttering

do you need to install the whole game on the ramdisk ? that means atm u would need 6 GB free ram space to try it ?

No, you could put some heavily used .pbo files on the RAMDisk and softlink them. 

Isn't this game more dependant on cpu and gpu than it is on ram?

I have 4gb though and run it just fine. 20 fps, but no lag like in arma so hey, im happy

a few commonly used files would probably help, like the chernarus map maybe. If you've got a decent SSD I doubt it'd make that much difference. I did it on the mod and it certainly helped, but then I have a relatively old and relatively slow HDD

I have 4gb though and run it just fine. 20 fps, but no lag like in arma so hey, im happy

Yes it is, but it also has to constantly load assets from .pbo files from your drive, and if you have a slow hdd that might negatively impact your fps.

Would appreciate it if anyone here could post a  small step by step guide on how to use this with the DayZ SA.

• Like 1

Yes it is, but it also has to constantly load assets from .pbo files from your drive, and if you have a slow hdd that might negatively impact your fps.

Would appreciate it if anyone here could post a  small step by step guide on how to use this with the DayZ SA.

It works the same way as for the mod. Follow existing guides in order to put designated .pbo files on the RAMdisk or create a RAMdisk with 6GB and install DayZ SA.

• Like 1

20 FPS is hardly "fine" :rolleyes:

I have used RamDisk always from the Mod and now in standalone. Ramdisk increaces few fps but repairs the random stutter.

I tested this few days ago the fps increace versus my Kingston SSD Sata 3 was 2fps in Normal Graphical settings.

Most urgend fix should be the Crossfire support for DayZ since i can only use 1 card it causing the worst performance losses on my case.

Most urgend fix should be the Crossfire support for DayZ since i can only use 1 card it causing the worst performance losses on my case.

There aren't that many people with Crossfire/SLi, so I doubt it's that urgent. They should rather work on a better way to reduce the objects being fully rendered by the engine, that would give a huge performance boost to almost all users.

On-Topic:

I could try and put the whole game on a RAMDisk and see how it impacts my FPS.

So, there we go:

On my HDD (find that in my Bio if you want) I get 38FPS in the scene (screenshot) and on my RAMDisk I had to make two because the lighting was different and if I take the average I get 39FPS, which is within the margin of error. The only thing I have not noticed while playing from a RAMDisk is a stutter, so that might be the reason to switch. Keep in mind that the whole game already takes up ~6GB and is going to grow in size over time (e.g. more guns and functioning cars).

Here is the link to all images.

Edited by ClassifyLP
  • Like 1

I've thought about that too, because i have 32 GB of Ram on my machine... but i don't really need an fps increase, because normally i play dayz mod and SA with 60/140 fps on high/low settings... i don't see any stuttering

Must be a good computer you got there.

My rig:

AMD FX-8350 (4.5 GHz)

8GB Ram

256 GB SSD

Crossfire Radeon R9 290 cards.

27" screen @ 2560 x 1440

My FPS: 19-40

Settings:

Everything that can be turned off is off, everything else on lowest setting.

Except textures wich is on high. Running in native resolution for my screen.

Edited by prix

I have DayZ on a RAMdisk, but still get the occasional  mega stutter that lasts like a second (can happen anywhere). 

Must be a good computer you got there.

My rig:

AMD FX-8350 (4.5 GHz)

8GB Ram

256 GB SSD

Crossfire Radeon R9 290 cards.

27" screen @ 2560 x 1440

My FPS: 19-40

Settings:

Everything that can be turned off is off, everything else on lowest setting.

Except textures wich is on high. Running in native resolution for my screen.

Lol it seems like every time I see someone with a comment like this they always spec out all AMD parts .. not saying AMD is bad, just curious as to why it seems there is slightly more performance issues when using AMD parts.  And on top of that it seems xfire or sli just seems to complicate matters worse.   I can play the game quite comfortably with no stutter from my rig (i5-3570k at 4.5ghz, 8gig ram, gtx 760) there are temporary frame dips (never below 40) when I hit a bigger town but nothing that is terribly noticable.

There aren't that many people with Crossfire/SLi, so I doubt it's that urgent. They should rather work on a better way to reduce the objects being fully rendered by the engine, that would give a huge performance boost to almost all users.

On-Topic:

So, there we go:

On my HDD (find that in my Bio if you want) I get 38FPS in the scene (screenshot) and on my RAMDisk I had to make two because the lighting was different and if I take the average I get 39FPS, which is within the margin of error. The only thing I have not noticed while playing from a RAMDisk is a stutter, so that might be the reason to switch. Keep in mind that the whole game already takes up ~6GB and is going to grow in size over time (e.g. more guns and functioning cars).

Alright, thx for the info.

While i do get occasional stuttering its not really a big issue, so probably not worth switching atm.

Might do that if it becomes a problem later on though.

Still odd as some people have reportedly gotten a big fps boost by using an SSD (here) and RAMdisk should afaik have the same effect with even faster access times.

Edited by vile.

I've got my game installed on a 6gb ramdisk, I didn't really notice any fps increase (maybe +1 or 2 fps) but it does seem to help loading times, for instance I get to the main menu quite a bit faster than before I had the Ramdisk in place.

[...] Still odd as some people have reportedly gotten a big fps boost by using an SSD (here) and RAMdisk should afaik have the same effect with even faster access times.

Well, my HDD isn't the slowest on the planet, so I don't think that's what's bottlenecking me.

On-Topic:

So, there we go:

For all who needs somekind of activity of your Crossfire or SLI. 

READ HERE: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157429-slicrossfire-support/

I got my crossfire working this way not perfect but big fps boost on me anyway.

Good Day

If you have an SSD then this is probably pointless.

If you have an SSD then this is probably pointless.

RAM is orders of magnitude faster than an SSD.