Sign in to follow this  
shadowranger333

Some suggestions

I have been following this game for a while and have played many of the Dayz mods. I bought standalone earlier today and played for a few hours. I have come up with ideas for the alpha.

#1. Melee weapons need to be buffed. I had to hit a zombie about 20 times with my crowbar before it died. On some melee weapons aiming for the head is near impossible, and a person should always beat a zombie 1v1. I think body hits should knock over zombies more frequently, and headshots cause a one-hit kill. With smaller weapons like knives, body shots would do minimal damage, and not knock over. Maybe adding a shove mechanic like left4dead would help, or a chivalry like blocking system that has been discussed.

#2. After eating the consumable item is automatically put back on the ground/inventory. This is annoying if you are eating more than one serving.

#3. I am not sure when I am restoring blood or not. The notifications showing whether you are hungry or thirsty on the inventory help. Maybe add a notification called "healthy" when you are restoring blood.

#4. Once servers are more stable, I think it would be cool and realistic to have massive hordes (10-30) zombies in the large cities. This would cause players to work together, and not waste ammo (or risk detection) by attacking each other. Currently zombies glitch through walls and such. Once these bugs are worked out I would not want zombies to be able to open doors, or add the ability to barricade doors. This would make it so that the large hordes would not be too impossible, and a chance for survivors to rest, eat, and heal. Also adding distraction objects like flares/fireworks/speakers to lure zombies away.

#5. I don't know how the current loot spawning system works. I think players should be able to place container items and backpacks on the ground and not have them despawn, as an alternative to the mods tents.

feel free to add your own suggestions or comment on mine, good job on the alpha so far dayz team!

I have been following this game for a while and have played many of the Dayz mods. I bought standalone earlier today and played for a few hours. I have come up with ideas for the alpha.

#1. Melee weapons need to be buffed. I had to hit a zombie about 20 times with my crowbar before it died. On some melee weapons aiming for the head is near impossible, and a person should always beat a zombie 1v1. I think body hits should knock over zombies more frequently, and headshots cause a one-hit kill. With smaller weapons like knives, body shots would do minimal damage, and not knock over. Maybe adding a shove mechanic like left4dead would help, or a chivalry like blocking system that has been discussed.

#2. After eating the consumable item is automatically put back on the ground/inventory. This is annoying if you are eating more than one serving.

#3. I am not sure when I am restoring blood or not. The notifications showing whether you are hungry or thirsty on the inventory help. Maybe add a notification called "healthy" when you are restoring blood.

#4. Once servers are more stable, I think it would be cool and realistic to have massive hordes (10-30) zombies in the large cities. This would cause players to work together, and not waste ammo (or risk detection) by attacking each other. Currently zombies glitch through walls and such. Once these bugs are worked out I would not want zombies to be able to open doors, or add the ability to barricade doors. This would make it so that the large hordes would not be too impossible, and a chance for survivors to rest, eat, and heal. Also adding distraction objects like flares/fireworks/speakers to lure zombies away.

#5. I don't know how the current loot spawning system works. I think players should be able to place container items and backpacks on the ground and not have them despawn, as an alternative to the mods tents.

feel free to add your own suggestions or comment on mine, good job on the alpha so far dayz team!

#1 is a fairly valid point, though it's really not -that- difficult to club a zombie in the head with a crowbar, and it makes sense that the zombie would be fairly resistant to body shots. It's all about timing over technique, at the moment. Run in, club the zombie real quick, jump back while the poor thing takes a laughably slow swing at you, repeat until dead. I do agree with you in regards to the potential for a "knock-back" mechanic. That could potentially add more depth to the otherwise dull experience of melee combat as it is in the Alpha.

#2 Spot on. It's annoying as hell :P

#3 I believe this is already a thing. When you have a significant enough energy level I think it appears in the chat box that you are healthy, or something along those lines?

#4 That's on the cards, as far as I'm aware. See here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

#5 The loot currently only spawns upon server restart and I believe that objects that are dropped remain there either until they are picked up, or until the server is restarted. They -do- take a significant amount of time to appear, in most cases. But in my experience, all the things I've dropped have never despawned.

With smaller weapons like knives, body shots would do minimal damage, and not knock over.

Knives are really horrible though. I found one that first night and killed some zombies and a player with it... the thing took forever.

If I'd known players were able to instantly Mike Tyson others with their bare fists, even those wearing helmets, I would have dropped it instantly and started punching instead... knives need a buff, fists need a nerf IMO.