Sign in to follow this  
gibonez

Importance of Iron Sights

I for one am delighted with the new approach Rocket and team have taken with dayz.

Optics on firearms are scarce and there seems to be an importance on civilian weapons and optics.

I look forward to super expensive rare military optics that cost anywhere from 500-4k dollars being very scarce in stand alone or not even being included in the mod all together.

Instead the mod should focus heavily on iron sights and realistic commonly found optics.

So who here looks forward to 10x fixed power hunting optics, Hunting range finders, range finding ballistic ranging reticles and the super hard to find aimpoints, acogs and holographic sights ?

opplanet-leupold-vx-6-3-18x50mm-riflesco

In terms of the mod.. (Full list of features can be found here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/149483-rolling-changelog-181/)

* [NEW] - Weapon attachments have been added (generic spawn - chance to spawn any place)

M4A1 > M4A1_AIM (When using the AIMpoint sight with an M4)

M4A1_Aim > M4A1_Aim_CAMO (When using the AIMpoint sight with an M4)

M4A1_Aim_camo > M4A1_AIM_SD_camo (When using a suppressor with an M4)

m16a4 > m16a4_acg  (When using an ACOG scope with an M4)

bizon > bizon_silenced (When using a suppressor on a Bizon)

Makarov > MakarovSD (When using a suppressor on a Makarov)

M9 > M9SD (When using a suppressor on a M9)

For the Standalone, definitely.

Edited by TIC321

Rangefinder? You mean a pair eyes and some experience?  :P 

I'm not a fan of the extreme optics myself, they're mainly used by bandits killing for no other reason but for the fact it's an FPS game. I see no reason to kill a random person who you don't even know, unless you're role playing a scum bag.

I'm very happy with what has been presented thus far. two different iron sights for the M4, a red dot. A red dot for the pistol, also PSU + magnified scope for the Mosin. Who knows what is next, what guns and how will those attachments help a survivor?  

I have a lot more confidence in the future of DayZ than I thought I would, after I washed my hands of the MOD.  

I'd love to see the strobe flashlight attachment. Perhaps an actual Laser Dot for Hardcore servers. Grips.  Think more tactical other than sniper derp (no offence)

Edited by DaveZ

Rangefinder? You mean a pair eyes and some experience?  :P 

I'm not a fan of the extreme optics myself, they're mainly used by bandits killing for no other reason but for the fact it's an FPS game. I see no reason to kill a random person who you don't even know, unless you're role playing a scum bag.

Yea ideally the game will have hunting optics with basic ranging reticles such as mil dots that are actually useable so you can get ranges to things using known sizes of objects and persons height.

That definitely doesn't work.

Speak for yourself. 

Remember that it's a primarily Russian country, Or Czech, I'm rusty on the demography or geography of Chernarus but I'm pretty sure it's military does not sport the same tech that USA does.

What I like about DayZ SA is that it's back to basics. To its roots. And I'd hate to that spoiled by Geared up soldiers that I'd normally see in Arma 3.

The title of the thread is misleading, if you are looking forward to these optics   :P

Edited by DaveZ

Speak for yourself. 

Remember that it's a primarily Russian country, Or Czech, I'm rusty on the demography or geography of Chernarus but I'm pretty sure it's military does not sport the same tech that USA does.

What I like about DayZ SA is that it's back to basics. To its roots. And I'd hate to that spoiled by Geared up soldiers that I'd normally see in Arma 3.

The title of the thread is misleading, if you are looking forward to these optics   :P

I think he means how objects in game arent the same dimensions as objects in real life would be so even an experienced person who could judge distance easily would struggle in game due to how perception is shown.

I look forward to super expensive rare military optics that cost anywhere from 500-4k dollars being very scarce in stand alone or not even being included in the mod all together.

Oh, fuck me I was close on going on a rage rampage. Thought you were talking about microtransactions for a sec there.

Oh, fuck me I was close on going on a rage rampage. Thought you were talking about microtransactions for a sec there.

quite the opposite

I'm w/ y'all here on the civilian aspect of both weapons and optics.  As for High Power Optics only used by bandits for PvP, I disagree.  I run a 91/30 with a Long Range Scope and use it to scout ahead for my squad and also use it as over-watch.  That's the best use for the 91/30 so far; a recon weapon.

you really shouldn't be able to mount any other scope to the mosin but the pu. The SOS scope shouldn't be mountable to the mosin since it lacks the appropriate rail

I´ve found rangefinder, it´s called map and some basc trigonometry. Zoom in, 1 small square in map is 100m, a^2+b^2=c^2, c being the longest side of triangle.

I´ve found rangefinder, it´s called map and some basc trigonometry. Zoom in, 1 small square in map is 100m, a^2+b^2=c^2, c being the longest side of triangle.

Meantime somebody while you are doing your math will come up to you and kill you O_O

Meantime somebody while you are doing your math will come up to you and kill you O_O

I wouldn´t want to make it too easy for myself now would i :P ?

It only takes few seconds to input that into a calcultaor anyhow.

The game should have NV scopes etc.. As long as they're INCREDIBLY hard to find.

People with nv scopes are incredibly expensive and rare in real life therefore they should not be in game.

Nv scopes can cost as much as a used car.

just add the feature of seeing your position on the map when you have it up.

not GPS just ro see a marker on the map in real time.

if your going to snipe it should be a 1 shot 1 kill so taking the time to work out your oponents location based off of your own is all thats needed.

Idk, ACOGs and Loopys are both pretty damn expensive 

Yea they are acogs are 1200 bucks so they should be insanely rare in game. Loopys can be expensive but they have affordable good quality hunting and entry level tactical optics.

Vortex,trijjicon, redfield, nikkon, weaver  and swfa all make good entry level but feature packed scopes.

Nightforce, Schmidt and bender, U.S. optics and zeiss make overpriced super expensive glass that is amazing but super duper expensive.

just add the feature of seeing your position on the map when you have it up.

not GPS just ro see a marker on the map in real time.

if your going to snipe it should be a 1 shot 1 kill so taking the time to work out your oponents location based off of your own is all thats needed.

Or they could include civilian hunting and golf range finders that have like a max range of 800 m and arent that accurate in.

Civilian range finders are pretty affordable.  130-500 dollar range.