Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

Weapon zeroing

I noticed the M4 and the Mosin have "zeroing" for 50, 100, 200, and 300 meter ranges.

XIYvqJE.jpg?1

The 50 meter setting is both useless for gameplay and silly, since the bullet will barely rise at all when zeroed to 100 meters.

If you are zeroed at 100 meters, and engage a target at 50, your bullet will be a bit high. However, it's only about 1.7 cm above the line from the bore, and since the sights are already 0.65 cm over the bore, this means the bullet will be, for all intents and purposes, perfectly on target using the 100m zero. And if you're zeroed at 200 meters, the bullet will also be "zeroed" at about 50 meters, since the bullet rises to meet the line of sight at around that point.

At first I didn't notice the 50 meter setting since I never tried to zero below 100, assuming there would be nothing there. In any case the 50m setting must go.

The 100 meter setting isn't too useful either, for much the same reasons - right now the best setting for general use is 200 meters.

Note this is from the bore; in-game the paths will appear a bit lower.

EZeG0VP.png

The second thing is the missing functionality compared to real life. The in-game M4 has a removable carry handle, two apertures and an elevation drum, and for game purposes the rear sight should be adjustable from 200-600 meters.

0SX8wcU.jpg?1

The Mosin should have sights adjustable from 100-2000 meters. That won't work for various reasons, but it should be adjustable from 100-800 meters at least, just like the AKM in ArmA.

jscMFUA.jpg?1

The other option would be to force players to stick with the battlesight zero, which isn't such a bad idea. It makes more sense than the 50-300 meter options. Most guns in ArmA 2 were fixed at a certain range and there wasn't an issue (neither was there an issue with allowing zeroing on others).

Same lack of functionality with the Mosin's PU - it should be adjustable out to 1,300 meters. I'd be fine with 800 meters. This is especially annoying since the numbers are clearly visible on the scope in-game, yet my character is limited to 300!

qsPMCLS.png

One more thing: the pistols are apparently "zeroed" to 100 meters. This is too far and means at 50 meters, the bullet will be almost 22 cm high (too high by about a head). They should be set to 50 meters or less, like in ArmA 2, then the bullets won't fly as high.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 7

You tell them GEWS !

-_- Maybe more focus is needed to be placed around the current bullet trajectory. And zeroing ^^

Yea I noticed that also.

Another thing I noticed is the aimpoint allows you to adjust the range too.

Never used an aimpoint but arent they locked in at 100m I thought they lacked elevation adjustment ?

Speaking of this also would like a wind indicator. I was testing the Mosin at 800m using a zed for a target and always have to put a shot downrange to find my wind drift amount. Zed was hit center mass at 800 but only after I adjusted for 2 feet of wind drift at that range

Speaking of this also would like a wind indicator. I was testing the Mosin at 800m using a zed for a target and always have to put a shot downrange to find my wind drift amount. Zed was hit center mass at 800 but only after I adjusted for 2 feet of wind drift at that range

I honestly dont think the game has wind affecting bullets that might be the new random bullet dispersion.

Yea I noticed that also.

Another thing I noticed is the aimpoint allows you to adjust the range too.

Never used an aimpoint but arent they locked in at 100m I thought they lacked elevation adjustment ?

Aimpoints have elevation and windage adjustments, but it's just for initial zero.

You zero it for whatever range you prefer (mine is set for 50m), and you leave it.  It's basically used with a battlesight zero, as Gews was talking about.  No need to adjust either wind or elevation with a non-magnified optic.

Magnified scopes are another matter entirely, as well as weapons that have adjustable apertures/rear leafs. 

+1 to everything Gews just said...

I honestly dont think the game has wind affecting bullets that might be the new random bullet dispersion.

It wasn't random at all because I blew her fellow zed apart with the first round at the same range with the same hold over for windage.

It wasn't random at all because I blew her fellow zed apart with the first round at the same range with the same hold over for windage.

Just an FYI, holdover is for bullet drop, windage is adjustment for wind, there is no term "hold over for windage". Semantics.

Also the graphs of bullet drop in op's post are inaccurate (at least they look that way from the graphs). Bullets slowdown over distance, this means your drop from 0-100m is less than bullet drop between 200-300m. Minor details.

Just an FYI, holdover is for bullet drop, windage is adjustment for wind, there is no term "hold over for windage". Semantics.

Also the graphs of bullet drop in op's post are inaccurate (at least they look that way from the graphs). Bullets slowdown over distance, this means your drop from 0-100m is less than bullet drop between 200-300m. Minor details.

FYI hold over is a term based on mil dot scopes it is up down or left right. This scope does not have mil dots but its the same terminology.

edit - this lingo is how snipers and their spotters communicate when viewing a target about range and windage adjustments

It would be great just to give the info in text format in the same area you see your zeroing information in the upper right corner of the screen.

ex. wind w @ 4

wind nne @ 7

Edited by SAXX0N

The graphs are quite accurate