Hetstaine

@ Beginners..no gun start is not impossible

Starting with no gun is a piece of cake! ... If i had my way we would start with a tin of beans and a can of coke in your pockets, Nothing else ... Not even a backpack.

In my opinion starting with no weapon is fantastic, Makes you have to play the game a totally different way than before & when you actually find you first weapon it gives you a real scene of achievement, I remember when i found my first weapon, It was a hatchet ... I was like "fucking sweet, If any zombies fuck with me now they are gonna get it" ... I was surprised to see how well the melee attack actually works too, When I found my first gun a felt like a god, Even though it was only a Makarov & two clips lol.

Fair enough im not a complete noob to DayZ(been playing a few hours most nights since the middle of May)and ive learn the basics of the game now quite well, But like everybody else with the recent updates when our pistol got removed & the zombies got "smarter" i had to rethink my tactics ... Re-learn how much i could push it before a zombie spotted or heard me etc, Trust me i died like 5 - 6 times after only being alive around 10 mins at a time lol, My current character is the longest ive stayed alive since the zombies got buffed & our starter weapon got removed.

With my current char im into day 3 now, I have a AKM rifle, Hatchet, Revolver, Toolkit, Watch, Hunting knife and a couple of other things. I went from my spawning point at the west of Kamenka, Through Kamenka, On too Komarovo(where i found a hatchet)on to Balota & then onto Balota airstrip where i found a shotgun then down to the deer stands where i found my AKM rifle.

The best advice i can give to newbies is always scout the area your trying to enter, Study the path of the infected and always try to stay behind them, ALWAYS enter a city/town prone & always cross roads prone, If you do have/want to crouch always hold shift in built up areas to minimize noise also always stick close to walls or buildings to help you stay out of site. You can normally hear a zombie before you see it, As soon as you hear ANYTHING hit the deck until you find out where the zombie/player is what what way they are facing & its safe to carry on with your business.

ONLY SHOOT IF YOU REALLY REALLY HAVE TOO! ... Sometimes its actually safer to run than shoot, If you run then you will probably only have the zombie that spotted you, If you shoot then yeah you may kill that single zombie that spotted you but i 100% guarantee that shot will attract 4, 5 & 6+ more infected.

If you can follow the above then you should have no issues at all in avoiding detection from the infected, The above advice is what ive learned from my own personal experience playing DayZ & so far its served me quite well.

No it's not impossible. It's completely pointless and serves no function other than to make most spawns completely pointless and make most people just keep respawning and server hopping until they can find a gun in balota deer stands. All having no gun does is make the game tedious and add pointless slowing to the game. It's not impossible' date=' it just serves absolutely no function to the game. Why do new players have to search for their first gun? Does it have to be a pointless rite of passage that older players think everyone needs to be forced to go through? Does it help lower PvP even though the makarov is one of the worst guns in the game?

As per collaboration:

It doesn't add to people collaborating because if everyone collaborates but no one has a gun everything is pointless. Once someone has a gun they're a complete liability to the group; personally I don't trust anyone but my friends in mumble, so I don't really see how you can trust someone you just met to raid a town once you both have a gun.

Summation: All having no starting gun does is make the game more tedious. All I ever do when I die is just raid the deer stands of balota then server hop if there's no guns there. I don't care about the ethics of it, it's stupid that some players think that starting everyone with a makarov is so game breaking even though if you can get lucky you can find automatic guns within minutes of spawning.

[/quote']

The way you play the game is to exploit the respawn mechanic (something Rocket openly dislikes) to run to a specific area to get a specific weapon to try to "win." I'd say this is about as against the spirit of the game as is possible.

The "purpose" no gun spawning serves it to make death have more impact. You'll think twice about a death when you know you're not going to get tons of supplies and a gun with tons of magazines. I could clear out a couple minor areas with that starting Mak; now I have to stealth until I can find whatever scrap is lying around rather than sprint back to my body, pop the bandit who shot me and the few zeds that aggro'd, and then be back to full strength.

If you're not patient enough or not good enough to stealth, you don't deserve a big bad gun, and Rocket's change is designed to frustrate and discourage players just like you.

Well im finding it pretty damn impossible, zombies from nowhere running at me when im crawling, not being able to find a weapon, when i did eventually pick up a hatchet, within minutes im shot dead by the first person iv seen in-game, if any other noobs want to team up or anyone just wants to help me out, send me a message.

I posted this in the other thread identical to this, but I just want to say, I played DayZ for the first time ever yesterday, and within a half hour from my very first spawn ever, I had a revolver, an Enfield, and 10k blood. It's all about going carefully and using stealth. If you can't/won't do this, you're pretty much guaranteed an inevitable ragequit on par with Michael from Rooster Teeth.

How is it impossible its Fairly easy to find weapons 20-30 mins after start of a life i tend to find less food then guns and such and i am like a ninja when i sneak .. and when i get into trouble i just run away ...run into the forest zigzaggin and youll do fine. if you cant be a realistic dayz player then theres no reason to play ... you gotta keep in mind youll prolly die more then you live .. if you plan on running around like a dumb lunitic just screaming eat me zombies is like running through the streets with a sign on that says fresh meat ...Sneak like you would in real life if you sneak youll be able to live alot longer .. js ..

This thread is useless.

Not as useless as your post.

At least he is trying to assure casual gamers that it's easier than they think; encouraging them not to give up.

I started playing after guns were taken away. Have about a total of 6-7 hours in game, on my 4th life so far. Last incarnation lasted 5+ hours. This current one is in Cherno on the docks and I'm near a church that I raid when the zombies wander away. No weapon, but it's not impossible.

Go in the hills, look deer stands, barns, edges of towns with no zombies, or do what I do and hang out on the docks in a big city and loot buildings that are close, get in, take stuff, get out. It's not impossible!

How many zombie movies start with the main character having a gun?....very few and almost zero good ones. Getting a gun should be a "fuck yea!" moment, not a birthright.

Starting without a gun sets the tone for this game - it's not a shooter, it's a survival game and it's brutal at times. The objective of the game is "learn to deal with it." Before you shoot zombies, you should learn to avoid them. Starting without a gun ingrains that in their head from the jump off. Maybe this tough beginning also serves as a filter. This is a niche game for people who want a challenge without hand holding and I hope it stays that way.

Look, a gun isn't even a key survival item. Food and drink are the essentials, along with equipment like matches/hatchet/knife/compass etc.

The way I play I can easily go a few hours into the game without firing a shot whether I have a gun or not. Firing a gun in a zombie apocalypse where zombies are attracted to noise is not a smart survival choice, it should be saved for emergency self defence, or occasionally a tactical zed takedown to get at loot.

I was on TS with some american guys last night and it was a real eye opener. They were pro's basically, knew everything and all the exploits and actively disconnect when there's a problem, then rejoin the server. One of the guys had a thing for killing people, the negative attitude to other players is rife in this game according to them and tbh a few of them didn't sound like particularly nice people.

The new players like me are so far behind the more experienced players it's a balance that can't be addressed.

It's kind of killed it for me if i'm honest

I was on TS with some american guys last night and it was a real eye opener. They were pro's basically' date=' knew everything and all the exploits and actively disconnect when there's a problem, then rejoin the server. One of the guys had a thing for killing people, the negative attitude to other players is rife in this game according to them and tbh a few of them didn't sound like particularly nice people.

The new players like me are so far behind the more experienced players it's a balance that can't be addressed.

It's kind of killed it for me if i'm honest

[/quote']

The exploiters/hackers are dicks. Ignore them and work round them as best you can. You don't need to stoop to their tactics to be successful in the game, you will just need more patience.

Not starting with a weapon is unrealistic. 99% of humans would pick up a stick, a pole, a broomstick, a shovel.

You can't argue against this.

Also, I don't think players can disconnect while you're shooting them can they? Once you get the jump on a player, see him before he sees you, he's dead right?

For me no gun for beginners is really bad.

1. It ecourage exploiting (if you aggro just disconnect)

2. Lot's of ppl don't even try to sneak now just leeeroy to electro, balota or cherno, disconnect and then loot.

3. No gun means a lot less coop. Cuz two fresh characters don't have any benefits from grouping up (more ppl = less loot and fresh characters can't help each other because they don't have anything) and if you will get one you will kill anyboty on sight cuz getting killed now is really annoying.

I'm not against hardcore games but new gear after respawn is like food and water being consumed offline.

BTW I'm not fresh player and i know how to get gear without exploits but anyway i think it's unnecessary and only kills game cause begginer don't even try to play good before they get some decent gear.

I just started playing this morning. I wasn't aware you didn't start with a gun but that made it better in my opinion. It actively encourages you to be extremely cautious, something you'd do in real life.

When I first logged in, I instantly checked the surroundings and am constantly aware of the sight/sound meter. After hiding near a bush scoping out the little shack near where you start a player came legging it past me with 3-4 zombies after him, scared the crap out of me because it was so close, but also I found it hilarious to watch!

I'm a few hours in, not died, and i've got a 1911(?) after finding a revolver, I have plenty of water, ammo and bandages. God knows how far north I am, occasionally I hear gun fire and I hit that prone button faster than I can react.

This game requires you to think far more than any other game i've played if you want to survive. One wrong move and you're in trouble. This isn't a race to be top rank, take your time, be cautious and don't take any unneeded risks.

So far i've had a great time. I've already accepted i'm going to die sooner or later and everything thing I do helps me plan for the next time. It's a good game, with potential to be a great game.

1. Read through the forums before you all panic and trip out and then run here to post madly about how impossible it is. Find some tips about how to survive past your first few minutes' date=' there is a hundred different threads on it as well as all over the net.

2 You are not there for the first ten seconds to find a super elite sniper rifle or a set of wheels.

3. The game is about taking it slow and having some patience not about trying to be Usain Bolt and beating the hordes whilst looking for the bazooka to leet kill everything.

4. In real life how would you play it out ? Sure as hell your decisions would be different when you first woke up on the beach and saw the zeds cruising around.

5. Slow down, Think.

6. Reread point 1 through 6.

7. Be good to your mother.

[/quote']

It is pretty impossible. I've a dayz veteran, i had to kill myself, losing NVG, gps and ETC because rockets patched decided to spawn me in debug forest. I don't play empty servers ever, and i'm unable to get anything without people killing me.

People kill more then they did before.

The problem with people's anecdotes about massive arsenals being available is it is heavily reliant on luck. Have you spawned in the middle of nowhere? Has another person already looted the area? Is the one area you can see swarmed in zombies?

Considering i am the least hesitant member of my group of friends, i can sprint through zombies, scurry around a barn, and flee without getting scratched, but what do we do if Zombies are given the ability to run indoors? No weapon, RNG loot system, hordes of zombies, players becoming bandits because they dont want to lose their shineys, and possibly the one zombie defeating glitch being fixed. Its quite possible nothing will get done when Zombies can run indoors.

I have respawned a few times during this no gun phase (all deaths being due to bandits) and some times, i have managed to find decent kit, revolver, winchester, all survivial utilities(bar NVG, Night vision, Range finder) and been able to handle myself effectively. But other times, i have gone an entire play session without a single weapon, found ammo, stuff like DMR ammo spawning in Cherno, but not a single gun, or water bottle.

So these anecdotes are only one side of an endlessly big pair of dice. Sure, you CAN be geared out in military equipment in less then an hour, but that depends on spawn location, and pure luck.

Unless people should just respawn spam till they get to a good zone, but that is frowned upon right?

Eugh, why is that advertising link in my post?

I've seen a lot of threads like this and have made a similar post myself.

Computer games these days are too easy and many people have been spoiled by things like auto aim etc. I like challenging games and have been in Masters for Starcraft 2 for quite a while. Games dont get more difficult than SC2 (Apart from SC1) and the learning curve on that game is way beyond this. However.....

Starting without a way to defend yourself makes the game tedious and boring. I've done relatively well a couple of times had plenty of ammo food etc and both times been killed by other players. No problem. PVP should be on. I didnt want to be a dick and kill people because the game is hard enough but if i played again you gotta do what you gotta do to survive so I would.

Seems to me the developers need to make a decision to keep the hardcore nature of ARMA 2 and its community or keep the game challenging and realistic but make it more available to mainstream players.

I actually was planning on getting a refund on ARMA 2 CO I bought yesterday as I've no interest in playing it but Steams refund policy is its digital you cant have one. So maybe I'll look in on the game at a latter stage.

Im having fun still, it is frustrating when killed but thats only because Bandits seem to hang around my friends whenever i am trying to help them.

Though i am recently finding blocked off buildings, which is reducing my chances of finding anything which will pick up the game's pace. Due to barbed wire now being placed infront of churches and fire stations.

Also have Churches been nerfed? Used to be my primary hunting ground for weapons, now its an empty tin can simulator in there.

Churches seem a no go any more for me too..unless you want chem sticks or cans :) Used to be worthwhile checking them out but last few weeks they seem very barren.

Related to this post for beginners, i just got my lady into Dayz and she is loving it, she lasted about an hour first time in , admittedly she had my help but she made it from the Eastern Spawn of Elektro to about halfway to Cherno before i met her. She never aggroed a zed until i told her we had to do the Cherno run..she was like what..whats that ? I said..you follow me and don't stop for nothing ! Halfway through Cherno she stalled and was killed because she hit shift five times and the sticky keys prompt kicked her to desktop lol.

She had to wait about 30 minutes from start of game for me to get her a winchester so she had a weapon and said it was one of the best gaming times she has had as she was nervous and panicking out because she knew if something happened she could not defend herself.. btw she is not a newb too gaming either...so if a chick can do it ;)

Starting with no weapon is completely retarded, but it's not really a big deal if the first building you walk into has a hatchet or a crossbow that you can crawl to. The problem is that it's possible to go into a long stretch of buildings that either have no loot or too many zombies.

It's possible that you can play until you die of starvation having found only swarms of zombies, empty cans, and glow sticks.

It's also possible that you spawn right next to an area where you can crawl for every weapon you need, matches, canteen, beans, etc. Then you could live in the woods indefinitely.

Dice rolls, man.

Then you could live in the woods indefinitely.

...thats a worrying thought..the woodsmen of Dayz..they freak me out more than the zeds.

I'd almost prefer for you to start with nothing at all. I'm not in the habit of carrying around a bandage or painkillers, why do I wash up on the beach with them?

i have a feeling this is the way it will go ;)

From what I was lead to believe' date=' From watching Rocket play the game with Totalbiscuit, Is the idea behind trialling the no guns at spawn is to see if it will help bring players into groups. As there is an plan being batted around to make it possible to build proper player camps, with more than just tents. Players laying claim to there own made small village type places. this really wouldn't work very well atm as there is no real incentive to work together for most people.

I have to say I like the challenge of hunting for that first weapon, Meeting up with others who don't have a weapon either or just have Hatchets. Teaches you allot about zombie aggro ranges and LOS. In the long run makes you a better player.

[/quote']

this wont will never work because of backstabbing.

whos to say that the person u team with wont back stab u for ur superior weapon/gear? or vice versa for that matter?

I'd almost prefer for you to start with nothing at all. I'm not in the habit of carrying around a bandage or painkillers' date=' why do I wash up on the beach with them?

[/quote']

because it seems like 1 or 2 zombie hits instant bleeds you.