Hetstaine

@ Beginners..no gun start is not impossible

1. Read through the forums before you all panic and trip out and then run here to post madly about how impossible it is. Find some tips about how to survive past your first few minutes, there is a hundred different threads on it as well as all over the net.

2 You are not there for the first ten seconds to find a super elite sniper rifle or a set of wheels.

3. The game is about taking it slow and having some patience not about trying to be Usain Bolt and beating the hordes whilst looking for the bazooka to leet kill everything.

4. In real life how would you play it out ? Sure as hell your decisions would be different when you first woke up on the beach and saw the zeds cruising around.

5. Slow down, Think.

6. Reread point 1 through 6.

7. Be good to your mother.

• Like 3

he're the problem...

this is an alpha, right?

alpha's are about getting a read on functionality of various elements, right?

by introducing an element like "starting without a gun," you are not testing functionality, you are testing user response.

when users complain about that element, they are doing what they are supposed to.

if you are s sperglord for realism and like it, good for you, start a thread about it (just like you did here, except without complaining about other people's opinions).

if your dick gets hard whenever you have a bad time, cool, "rocket needs YOU!" to tell him what a masochist you are; kudos!

if you think people aren't going to complain about starting in a game where the main focus is surviving and killing things without a gun for literally no reason other than to make it harder*, you are most likely further along on the scale of autism than you think.

* - i say this because how the hell is it more "realistic" of a scenario that you start halfway through a zombie apocalypse without a gun? the back story is ENTIRELY in the hands of the developer and the developer is face with a choice for how hard he is going to make it. he may be committed and not interested in what we have to say, he may not be. last i heard, he did read these forums and does consider how people feel. so by all means, advocate your position, cool, but don't come down on people with differing opinions because when you do, we're going to do the same to you.

he're the problem...

this is an alpha' date=' right?

alpha's are about getting a read on functionality of various elements, right?

by introducing an element like "starting without a gun," you are not testing functionality, you are testing user response.

when users complain about that element, they are doing what they are supposed to.

if you are s sperglord for realism and like it, good for you, start a thread about it (just like you did here, except without complaining about other people's opinions).

if your dick gets hard whenever you have a bad time, cool, "rocket needs YOU!" to tell him what a masochist you are; kudos!

if you think people aren't going to complain about starting in a game where the main focus is surviving and killing things without a gun for literally no reason other than to make it harder*, you are most likely further along on the scale of autism than you think.

* - i say this because how the hell is it more "realistic" of a scenario that you start halfway through a zombie apocalypse without a gun? the back story is ENTIRELY in the hands of the developer and the developer is face with a choice for how hard he is going to make it. he may be committed and not interested in what we have to say, he may not be. last i heard, he did read these forums and does consider how people feel. so by all means, advocate your position, cool, but don't come down on people with differing opinions because when you do, we're going to do the same to you.

[/quote']

Yes, all constructive feedback is good. What must be considered when reading the feedback of many of the new players is what their idea of what the game should be is. Does their outrage fit with what the mod aims to do? Are they taking the wrong approach? Have they given it enough of a chance?

Here is a bunch of threads i found in a few minutes you slackers...

TIP1

TIP2

TIP3

TIP4

Thanks for the links, some helpful stuff here :)

No it's not impossible. It's completely pointless and serves no function other than to make most spawns completely pointless and make most people just keep respawning and server hopping until they can find a gun in balota deer stands. All having no gun does is make the game tedious and add pointless slowing to the game. It's not impossible, it just serves absolutely no function to the game. Why do new players have to search for their first gun? Does it have to be a pointless rite of passage that older players think everyone needs to be forced to go through? Does it help lower PvP even though the makarov is one of the worst guns in the game?

As per collaboration:

It doesn't add to people collaborating because if everyone collaborates but no one has a gun everything is pointless. Once someone has a gun they're a complete liability to the group; personally I don't trust anyone but my friends in mumble, so I don't really see how you can trust someone you just met to raid a town once you both have a gun.

Summation: All having no starting gun does is make the game more tedious. All I ever do when I die is just raid the deer stands of balota then server hop if there's no guns there. I don't care about the ethics of it, it's stupid that some players think that starting everyone with a makarov is so game breaking even though if you can get lucky you can find automatic guns within minutes of spawning.

Yes' date=' all constructive feedback is good. What must be considered when reading the feedback of many of the new players is what their idea of what the game should be is. Does their outrage fit with what the mod aims to do? Are they taking the wrong approach? Have they given it enough of a chance?

[/quote']

This.

oh and thanks Hox ..hope it helps :)

I don't think it's that people sprint around. I think it's that the detection is buggy as shit and zombies see you from half a town away, through walls, etc...

Which isn't that big a deal, except for the fact that you can't defend yourself.

No weapons = fine

Glitchy detection = fine

Glitchy detection + no weapons = bad

Oh.. please tell me to prone from 2km out. Because they see you when you're prone now. From 1m away? 10m away? 30m away? Who knows? It changes every time.

I don't think it's that people sprint around. I think it's that the detection is buggy as shit and zombies see you from half a town away' date=' through walls, etc...

Which isn't that big a deal, except for the fact that you can't defend yourself.

No weapons = fine

Glitchy detection = fine

Glitchy detection + no weapons = bad

Oh.. please tell me to prone from 2km out. Because they see you when you're prone now. From 1m away? 10m away? 30m away? Who knows? It changes every time.

[/quote']

And it will keep changing for quite some time, getting the zeds right will probably either make or break the game.

atm ( 1.7.1.5) regardless of detection it seems fairly easy to lose them by the running through and around buildings, some may still hang on but you will lose the bulk of them. And of course you can still lose the rest with the old zig zag run up the mountain trick.

I had a fair bit of success last night crawling within fairly close ranges, not as close as 1.6 through to 1.7.1 which was way too easy anyway. I mean you could crawl within a metre, silly. But yes it is still glitchy and you have to always be ready to up and sprint like a champion.

Yes' date=' all constructive feedback is good. What must be considered when reading the feedback of many of the new players is what their idea of what the game should be is. Does their outrage fit with what the mod aims to do? Are they taking the wrong approach? Have they given it enough of a chance?

[/quote']

to the point of"what the mod aims to do," i'm not a betting man, but i know that things change.

now, i'm not going to field a guess at what rocket and the other devs are thinking because, even if they outright say that they want things to go a certain way, they can change their minds. people do that. it happens.

in a sandbox game, there is no such thing as a "wrong" approach, just approaches that yield different results.

sometimes you try something and know immediately it's not for you. i don't have to spend hours playing something to know it's not even close to what i am looking for. there is also nothing really wrong with people that don't like the game as a whole or some aspect of it voicing that concern. if you're an adult and can understand that people act differently when frustrated, it doesn't even really matter if the way people voice their unhappiness is... "less than polite and objective."

This thread is useless.

People saying that starting without a weapon are useless.

It's as easy as with a weapon, just needs a less retarded approach to the game.

From what I was lead to believe, From watching Rocket play the game with Totalbiscuit, Is the idea behind trialling the no guns at spawn is to see if it will help bring players into groups. As there is an plan being batted around to make it possible to build proper player camps, with more than just tents. Players laying claim to there own made small village type places. this really wouldn't work very well atm as there is no real incentive to work together for most people.

I have to say I like the challenge of hunting for that first weapon, Meeting up with others who don't have a weapon either or just have Hatchets. Teaches you allot about zombie aggro ranges and LOS. In the long run makes you a better player.

I like the way you start now. its easy to not get killed by zombies without a weapon and also easy to find a weapon if you are looking for one.

Also many players have mercy on you when you run around without a weapon and a starter bag and just leave you to your business. Its now alot better then the pointless pistol fights at the beach.

I don't know why people assume that wanting to start with a weapon = sprinting through towns like a jackass. It's pretty insulting really.

Until they get their zombie detection right they really shouldn't leave players defenseless from the get go. You can sprint into a building with 2 exits but those are rare in comparison to buildings with < 1 exit.

I like the idea of spawning without a weapon, but let's fix the zombie aggro before we do that. Get it to the point where it's consistent.

I have to share the view that it's ridiculously hard at the moment. If people (hardcore) want to start the game without a weapon then fine. The rest of us would like a fair chance to actually enjoy the game for a while and scavenge for better weapons/resources because at the moment, I can't go anywhere near a building due to the zeds.

I never played ARMA so to be in this situation i.e. not able to defend myself from the start of the game seems extremely harsh on noobs like me.

1) stand up

2) double time

3) run to nearest supermarket ignoring zeds

4) take weapon

5) play just like before 171

yesterday I bought Arma 2 Just for this Mod.

I Found it Very hard to play without gun, 7 hours into the game and 4 deaths I finally managed to find a 1866 rifle ... Then it became a little easier.

One more thing i need to add - Broken leg is a death sentence, getting from place to place is nerve breaking and i haven't found any morf" anywhere.

I Found it Very hard to play without gun' date=' 7 hours into the game and 4 deaths I finally managed to find a 1866 rifle ... Then it became a little easier.

One more thing i need to add - Broken leg is a death sentence, getting from place to place is nerve breaking and i haven't found any morf" anywhere.

[/quote']

You didn't buy OAR also? I thought you had to or the mod wouldn't work.

Very OT I apologise

I Found it Very hard to play without gun' date=' 7 hours into the game and 4 deaths I finally managed to find a 1866 rifle ... Then it became a little easier.

[/quote']

You didn't buy OAR also? I thought you had to or the mod wouldn't work.

Very OT I apologise

bought everything all the dlc's - it was for a special price very cheap

I hear the complaints and I'm just gonna say that I've watched a few new guys in my clan sprint down the fucking street like their balls are on fire looking for god knows what.. And then the inevitable question, "Why do I keep dieing"? I'm not saying everyone does this but..

It's Alfa, if yer gonna rage just take some time off and wait for a more polished version. No shame in that.... Still gonna call you a pussy though. :)

I hear the complaints and I'm just gonna say that I've watched a few new guys in my clan sprint down the fucking street like their balls are on fire looking for god knows what.. And then the inevitable question' date=' "Why do I keep dieing"? I'm not saying everyone does this but..

It's Alfa, if yer gonna rage just take some time off and wait for a more polished version. No shame in that.... Still gonna call you a pussy though. :)

[/quote']

You would call them pussy's, because you like me know how to play the game. Iv played since the start and i still get into a few scrapes when i spawn with nothing. I cant even begin to imagine what its like for someone that's never played arma. Give them a break, perhaps offer them advice instead of sticking the knife in.

I hear the complaints and I'm just gonna say that I've watched a few new guys in my clan sprint down the fucking street like their balls are on fire looking for god knows what.. And then the inevitable question' date=' "Why do I keep dieing"? I'm not saying everyone does this but..

[/quote']

You would call them pussy's, because you like me know how to play the game. Iv played since the start and i still get into a few scrapes when i spawn with nothing. I cant even begin to imagine what its like for someone that's never played arma. Give them a break, perhaps offer them advice instead of sticking the knife in.

I run a clan that caters to new players, so far we have helped over 30 ingame. Nice try though.

I'll admit, I played DayZ first with a gun at the start. I lived about 30 hours then was popped by a player while sneaking around on the coast (yes, bad idea, duh).

Since losing the gun i've been able to live about 30-35 minutes but this has taught me a few things about sneaking, being careful, and often even just getting far enough inland before i start hunting for weapons.

You do NOT need a weapon right at the start, move inland and find some towns (follow roads if you arent sure, use the sun for direction). Smaller towns have small caches, or even a deer stand someplace.

Sure, it is sometimes hard in an alpha because you get overspawning, spawning on your toon, bugs, etc.... but they are being balanced.

Most people are used to a game which you are superhuman. We are spoon fed weapons, and able to outlive multiple gunshots.

This is more like Arma in which you are human, and just like any other human.

Pretend this person is YOU, on vacation in Cherno. Would you have a gun? would you even have water? I have an arsenal of firearms at home, but if the apocalypse comes and i'm at work... I'll be unarmed!

This is not a game as much as a simulator (there is a difference) and people should just keep trying different tactics. Guns are good, but any fool can use a gun. Sneaking around, not getting killed, foraging... THESE are the skills of the multi-hour player

and stay out of towns and airbases

No it's not impossible. It's completely pointless and serves no function other than to make most spawns completely pointless and make most people just keep respawning and server hopping until they can find a gun in balota deer stands. All having no gun does is make the game tedious and add pointless slowing to the game. It's not impossible' date=' it just serves absolutely no function to the game. Why do new players have to search for their first gun? Does it have to be a pointless rite of passage that older players think everyone needs to be forced to go through? Does it help lower PvP even though the makarov is one of the worst guns in the game?

As per collaboration:

It doesn't add to people collaborating because if everyone collaborates but no one has a gun everything is pointless. Once someone has a gun they're a complete liability to the group; personally I don't trust anyone but my friends in mumble, so I don't really see how you can trust someone you just met to raid a town once you both have a gun.

Summation: All having no starting gun does is make the game more tedious. All I ever do when I die is just raid the deer stands of balota then server hop if there's no guns there. I don't care about the ethics of it, it's stupid that some players think that starting everyone with a makarov is so game breaking even though if you can get lucky you can find automatic guns within minutes of spawning.

[/quote']

All of these elitist pricks learned the game back when there was a starting gun, so they have no right at all to comment on what it is like for beginners starting without a gun.