Sign in to follow this  
Betabyte (DayZ)

combat logging: a constructive thread ?

btw the offender who got killed should respawn with a permanent hat that says: "i alt f4 on first danger", -20% max health for a week   :D

A parody of "i fuck on first date".

• Like 1

Why not deal with it the same way as most other MMORPGs deal with it. When you want to log out from the server your character sits down for a specific amount of time and after that time has passed you get logged off the server and your character dissapears immediately from the server. It could also be possible to vary the timer depending on if there's combat nearby etc. If you crash / alt-f4 then your character will remain in game for a specific amount of time as well but the amount could be higher than if you log out the "normal" way.

If your character stays on even though you log off normally that means that players may find you by accident and kill you while your logged off, and I don't think that's good design.

The only problem is that it's unfair to all people with shitty connection, Besides that it's a good idea. If you crash the game your character is still in the game, not logged out. If you press menu and wait 15 secs then you're ready to go like a normal good person. 

Edited by Gdaddy22

btw the offender who got killed should respawn with a permanent hat that says: "i alt f4 on first danger", -20% max health for a week   :D

good luck coding that in, I'll be combat logging even when they put "anti combat logging" systems in place. they cant stop it and when they try they will fail just like the mod.

You, sir, win this thread.

good luck coding that in, I'll be combat logging even when they put "anti combat logging" systems in place. they cant stop it and when they try they will fail just like the mod.

You say that, but you can't combat life, my friend. You sound like you are a miserable person.

• Like 1

Why the hell would you log out near zombies? I think that if you did then you were "combat logging" so no i don't think that you should be "immune" from zombies after 10 seconds. but everything else, yes. I agree 100%  :)

they can stop it, granted they want to invest time. which is not that likely atm, but very likely before the release.

sorry, but "kill process x" or "move my foot so that i can switch the power off" is not "making it a massive pain in the ass".

the main hive server delivers nothing. this matter would have to be taken care of by the individual servers, which will require the hive merely to block another login as long as the character is needed ingame.

Listen, I know you wanna be right. But you have to be optimistic and lighten up.

@Nanoton and @submarine: exactly!

@alcapwn: agreed with first statement, it should be serverside. Disagree with the second though: the main hive containts the loot you

are carrying, and that loot must be available to somebody who kills you, even AFTER the 120 sec i proposed in op.

Maybe the current server should in that case (when someone alt f4's and gets killed after) create a copy of all loot, tell the main hive, and then the main hive should delete the character.

In the dayzmod, there is once a feature in a server that I can no longer recall which the combat logger's body gets automatically controlled by the AI and assumes a surrender position. That can be implemented i guess but the question is, the data which tells what items you have in your character, is that saved in your computer or in the server?

How bout we just call up Bill Gates and tell them to remove alt-f4 from there OS on one of there next 1 million updates.. :) then maybe those bitch ass combat loggers wont get on the computer anymore! .. just a suggestions

@milspeczombie: because zombies are bugged right now. When zombies are "done" , the 10 second rule should go ofcourse.

Right now you can get ambushed out of nowhere, like a zombie you aggro without knowing cuz hes running thru walls etc.

they can stop it, granted they want to invest time. which is not that likely atm, but very likely before the release.

I'll be sure to post in your "Why havent they fixed combat logging" thread in 2-3 years if this game is done by then.

Edited by Gerandar

Listen, I know you wanna be right. But you have to be optimistic and lighten up.

nope, i have to be realistic and honest. your idea is plain stupid, and harmful to the normal gameplay.

@alcapwn: agreed with first statement, it should be serverside. Disagree with the second though: the main hive containts the loot you

are carrying, and that loot must be available to somebody who kills you, even AFTER the 120 sec i proposed in op.

Maybe the current server should in that case (when someone alt f4's and gets killed after) create a copy of all loot, tell the main hive, and then the main hive should delete the character.

now dont tell me the servers get a fresh inventory set everytime i open a dead body - that would be such a ridiculously retarded way to implement it that i doubt even the least codemonkey at BI could do it better. why on earth would you fetch something from a external source what you essentially got allready?

keep the inventory in the dead body, report the death to the hive, done. where is the problem?

END COMBAT LOGGING!

It's so annoying :(. My friend and I was beating the crap out of this bandit who was attacking us and he combat logged before we could get his equipment.

I COMPLETELY agree with the 120 seconds.

nope, i have to be realistic and honest. your idea is plain stupid, and harmful to the normal gameplay.

now dont tell me the servers get a fresh inventory set everytime i open a dead body - that would be such a ridiculously retarded way to implement it that i doubt even the least codemonkey at BI could do it better. why on earth would you fetch something from a external source what you essentially got allready?

keep the inventory in the dead body, report the death to the hive, done. where is the problem?

Why is it stupid? Unless you are a combat logger hiding behind this guise you put up, why is killing a combat logger a bad idea? It even saves the other side bullets!

And you could have a variable "incombat" set to zero when not in combat and set to one when in combat. If the player hits "EXIT" or hits "alt+f4", the server could simply check variable "incombat" to see if its one or zero and punish if necessary BEFORE the connection to the server is even dropped.

Scratch that, you could have that variable plugged directly into the code for the exit button lmao.

I meant the loot of the dead one ofcourse.

Currently(113860), all gear despawns when somebody logs off, so why not fix that by requesting a copy of that as "loot injected" by the main hive.

Remember: the offender dc'ed already and is in his 120 sec penalty or LATER.

@ synystr: that variable should be on your account in the main hive, so that hackers cant fiddle with it.

If you put it in the dayz program, hackers reach it easily. They would never be in combat.

Trying to alter alt f4 behavior is futile, you can end process in taskmanager or just pull the plug.

Why is it stupid? Unless you are a combat logger hiding behind this guise you put up, why is killing a combat logger a bad idea? It even saves the other side bullets!

And you could have a variable "incombat" set to zero when not in combat and set to one when in combat. If the player hits "EXIT" or hits "alt+f4", the server could simply check variable "incombat" to see if its one or zero and punish if necessary BEFORE the connection to the server is even dropped.

Scratch that, you could have that variable plugged directly into the code for the exit button lmao.

doesnt seem to make much sense talking to you. you can never distinguish between an enforced "crash" and a real one. i do not want to lose my gear because i get a bluescreen whilst a squadmate is fighting with a zombie next to me.

I meant the loot of the dead one ofcourse.

Currently(113860), all gear despawns when somebody logs off, so why not fix that by requesting a copy of that as "loot injected" by the main hive.

Remember: the offender dc'ed already and is in his 120 sec penalty or LATER.

1) player dcs, character stays ingame for 120sec, player cannot log into another server until old session is closed

2a) character gets shot/handcuffed within 120s, dead body + loot stay on the server, death reported to hive, session closed

2b) character does not get shot/handcuffed within 120s, normal logout reported to hive, session closed

why the hell do you want to contact the hive more than neccessary? there is no need and not any reason to do so.

@Synystr : killing a character would punish someone with a flaky internet connection.

I'm honestly disconnecting every 45 minuites.

@ synystr: that variable should be on your account in the main hive, so that hackers cant fiddle with it.

If you put it in the dayz program, hackers reach it easily. They would never be in combat.

Trying to alter alt f4 behavior is futile, you can end process in taskmanager or just pull the plug.

I am just doing a five minute brainstorm. If I had a week and the knowledge of the programmers on the dev team, I'd have it up and running. But alas, I am just a mere mortal, trying to offer some helpful suggestions.

doesnt seem to make much sense talking to you. you can never distinguish between an enforced "crash" and a real one. i do not want to lose my gear because i get a bluescreen whilst a squadmate is fighting with a zombie next to me.

1) player dcs, character stays ingame for 120sec, player cannot log into another server until old session is closed

2a) character gets shot/handcuffed within 120s, dead body + loot stay on the server, death reported to hive, session closed

2b) character does not get shot/handcuffed within 120s, normal logout reported to hive, session closed

why the hell do you want to contact the hive more than neccessary? there is no need and not any reason to do so.

Why are you so hostile? Calm down. This is supposed to be a constructive suggestion thread, not a stage where you can flaunt your all knowing intelligence.