sai (DayZ)

Force mic chat: skype etc.. thru dayz?

Not hearing anything is also, not realistic.

I would rather work on what affects the game and then worry about noise pollution later. If people have to play differently because of this change, then I feel like hearing some guys mom yell at him is worth the trouble.

I only used realism because you did...I don't want chat to be realistic because it can't be done right. I'm willing to have a go at it so you can see this. Worst case scenario, I'm wrong and it's splendid.

Best solution I saw: don't have direct chat a toggle option. If you are talking through your mike. Your character in the game is broadcasting it.

That's far worse than what bad mojo has said. O_o Hell no. Hear the static of every crappy laptop mic from so far away while also ruining the game for them because of their mic...just no. That hurts DayZ more than the current system and you can't whisper at all.

That's far worse than what bad mojo has said. O_o Hell no. Hear the static of every crappy laptop mic from so far away while also ruining the game for them because of their mic...just no. That hurts DayZ more than the current system and you can't whisper at all.

You gotta stop assuming people want to change one thing and leave the rest. What he said is basically what I said, he just didn't elaborate on all the details. Nobody wants a system where lots of people can hear you breathing. We all want it to be a realistic experience.

You gotta stop assuming people want to change one thing and leave the rest. What he said is basically what I said, he just didn't elaborate on all the details. Nobody wants a system where lots of people can hear you breathing. We all want it to be a realistic experience.

If you say anything along the lines of "Leave direct chat always on" and nothing else, of course I'm going to assume you mean exactly what you said.

If you say anything along the lines of "Leave direct chat always on" and nothing else, of course I'm going to assume you mean exactly what you said.

Yeah, but if the problem is you thinking the direct chat distance is too far, then you should say that.

Now that I think about it. The game Battlefield2 Modern Combat for Xbox and Xbox360 used a chat system like this. When you were close to people in the game, you didn't press anything you just talked, the enemy could also hear you talking within the same range. But, when you pressed a button you could then broadcast to your team. It was actually a nice experience even if they're just sending static, because you get a better sense of where that player is in relation to you without having to look. Of course all official xbox mics have a mute button or switch. And they use voice activation.

Edited by bad_mojo

I said the distance was a problem.

" Hear the static of every crappy laptop mic from so far away..."

If it works well here then awesome, but I don't expect it to, especially in a game with no set teams, where most players are out to get you, and people find exploits at every turn since we're on PC.

I'm done, I've stated my points and it's just getting nitpicky. It's a circle now. It will happen or it won't. If it's good then no doubt it will stay, if it's bad, the forums will explode as they do.

Even if it's good the forums would explode due to the nature of the feature. Would software circumvention become detectable as cheating? Is this some kind of privacy violation? Or the biggest complaint, why bother if people can get around it?

if they tried that i'd just use skype/teamspeak/whatever through my laptop. but sure it would hinder the stupid I guess.

Now that I think about it. The game Battlefield2 Modern Combat for Xbox and Xbox360 used a chat system like this. When you were close to people in the game, you didn't press anything you just talked, the enemy could also hear you talking within the same range. But, when you pressed a button you could then broadcast to your team. It was actually a nice experience even if they're just sending static, because you get a better sense of where that player is in relation to you without having to look. Of course all official xbox mics have a mute button or switch. And they use voice activation.

Consoles can do that because it's a closed system.  People can't run TeamSpeak on their Xbox in the background.

But console gamers can also open their laptop next to them and use TeamSpeak through that, and then they can talk to their teammates without being audible in-game.  Or they can use their iPad, iPhone, landline phone, or even (gasp) meatspace!  Do I really need to post my list of ways to get around this idea for the third time? 

Look, here's an analogy: I hate third-person view in DayZ/ARMA/etc.  It's so unrealistic, and it ruins immersion, and it's cheap, etc.  It doesn't belong in a realistic game, nor in military games.  Optical devices like periscopes and mirrors are fine, if they are implemented in the game as those devices; but magic hovering out-of-body-experience camera mode shouldn't be in the game.

But as long as it is in the game, I'm not going to purposely put myself at a disadvantage to all the other players on the server by refusing to use it when it helps.  I really hope it's removed from the game completely, but until then, I would be more frustrated by dying to people who use it when I don't than I would be frustrated by using it.

Now here's the key point: third-person view can be removed, and it cannot be worked around; at least, not without some sort of client-side engine hack that moves the camera POV.  No one can use a separate device or program in the background to have an extra camera POV in the game.

But on the other hand, there are innumerable ways to communicate outside of the game's built-in voice comms.  So I would refuse to put myself at a disadvantage by only using in-game comms when other players will use OOB comms freely and have a large tactical advantage over me.  Other players would also refuse to put themselves at a disadvantage, so the whole system would collapse, and you'd be right where we are now, except having wasted many man-hours on programming it all.  It would be completely pointless.

The bottom line is that it will not work, at least not on public servers.  Maybe you can cultivate a community of scrupulous gamers who want as much realism as possible and won't break the rules to gain an advantage.  An example of something like this is ShackTac, and maybe DayZRP servers.  That is the only way this could work. 

Well, like I said earlier, the other way is to hire ex-Navy SEALs to infiltrate players' homes and destroy all other communication devices besides the DayZ-playing computer.  They'd also need to kidnap players' friends to prevent them from playing together in meatspace.  Good luck with that.

Edited by Junos
  • Like 1

I know I know, things can be circumvented. Hell, just pull up steam and type to someone with a muted mic. Point is, people can alt-tab and use the online map instead of fighting to find pieces of one in-game. Yet, some people still do it legit.

I don't think assuming people are going to circumvent the in-game voice is a good way to build a video game. If you make it so people can work with the in-game voice, then you might win more and more over. At the end of the day, you set your own difficulty in dayz, you can stay in the shadow, use teamspeak, or you can run in the open and talk over direct chat. Assuming everyone wants to be super tactical, stealthy, & lazy isn't the right way to think when developing a sandbox game like this.

I don't think anyone would argue that this idea is perfect. But, it's something. It's a step in the right direction at least.

That's invasion of privacy....I don't want the whole group hearing me saying "Meeeeeeeem, Sandwech, NAO!" or just talking in RL. Not good for RP players either

That's invasion of privacy.

You connected a mic to your computer, you downloaded a game that uses it, you started that game, you joined a server. How is that an invasion of privacy? The game is free to capture any and all communication going into that mic.

Dumb idea that will never be implemented. I also don't want to hear people's background crap while I play either.