moneybags (DayZ)

sanity system instead of humanity system

Those of you who have played the mod know what the humanity system is, murder survivors and get bandit skin help people and get hero skin. But I have an alternative idea that might give an incentive not to kill. How about a sanity system that for when you murder players your character becomes insane which can cause hallucinations like screen blurs,screen twitches, panic panting and screaming which can only be fixed by taking antipsychotic drugs regularly. And maybe your character can get the shabby meth head look from being insane. I thing this can be a good deterrent from killing on sight and it might add an interesting variety to dayz.

• Like 1

yes for the appearence change and some panting/screaming, no for the blurs. It'll be realistic and all(maybe, I never murder anyone IRL to know :P ) but it'll be a disadvantage to us bandits, and to survivors that had to kill for their life and got minus sanity/humanity. 

It wouldn't be like one kill would make you insane. It will have to be an accumulated amount of kills in one life or whether you kill someone who has a high insanity level.

Those of you who have played the mod know what the humanity system is, murder survivors and get bandit skin help people and get hero skin. But I have an alternative idea that might give an incentive not to kill. How about a sanity system that for when you murder players your character becomes insane which can cause hallucinations like screen blurs,screen twitches, panic panting and screaming which can only be fixed by taking antipsychotic drugs regularly. And maybe your character can get the shabby meth head look from being insane. I thing this can be a good deterrent from killing on sight and it might add an interesting variety to dayz.

Why do you need to enforce specific ways to play the game?

I posted an idea similar to this a long while ago.

Instead of insanity, I was asking for them to make use of all of the broken whiskey bottles laying around.  Adding whiskey to the game.  Giving it an alternate crafting use as a molotov and a way to suppress shakes and such.  If you kill more than three people in an hour, you go into shock, kind of like a guilt system.  This way, murderers have to carry around alcohol, which means they have less room to carry your stuff.  Also, if they don't have any, they will remain in shock until dead or they find alcohol.

There is a very vocal group of people here that Dean Hall supports.  That group of people refuse to add any artificial system, no matter how cool and realistic it may be, simply because it is 'gamey'.  Nevermind the fact that we are playing a zombie survuval video game.  I've also suggested static lighting systems, such as generators that can power small towns, street lamps, etc.  I've asked for a change in the day/night cycle, so that people actually want to play at night, even the ones who aren't already gears up, hiding in dark servers, looking for loot with their NV goggles.  As well as countless other very cool and realistic ideas.  But they are all met with criticism.  Such as, don't force me to play my game a certain way.  Or, that's not realistic enough.  Or, my favorite... If you don't like it, go play L4D2.

It is completely ignored that these issues are often game breakers for a lot of people.  Not just the 'carebears', or whatever they decide to call you.  But, the general population of players picking this game up, now off of steam.  It seems like DH doesn't mind putting in things that are completely useless, like making people use space bar to raise a weapon, thinking it will somehow reduce the 'kill on sight' mindset.  Excuse me while I laugh hysterically....

By no means am I trying to bash the dev team with this post.  But I do believe that there are certain game mechanics which have required major tweaking since early in the mods release.  And I see plenty of other really cool things that have been added over the years.  But the biggest and baddest issues remain without much of an effort to resolve them.  

yes for the appearence change and some panting/screaming, no for the blurs. It'll be realistic and all(maybe, I never murder anyone IRL to know :P ) but it'll be a disadvantage to us bandits, and to survivors that had to kill for their life and got minus sanity/humanity. 

I've literally killed less than a handful of people in several hundred hours of gameplay.  True innocents would not be affected by a system like this, assuming the mechanic would kick in after a set number of kills.

Not implementing something because a few people on the fence might not benefit is not smart.  But this won't happen anyways.  Rocket wants to promote killing, it's clear.  Personally, if I were him, I'd understand that the game itself inherently promotes killing.  Since, you know, PK's can loot you.  It's a built in reward.  However, innocents have to do the hard work and heavy lifting.  In a game that allows full loot and open PvP, you have to reward to 'sheep'.  The wolves will always be wolves, and it doesn't matter how much you punish them.  If you don't limit them however, the whole flock is killed and you are left with nothing but wolves.  Those players don't make it the experience that you envisioned by themselves.  They need sheep.  It's how it is in every game.

Rocket says this is a zombie survival multiplayer game...  I say it's counter-strike with zombies wandering around in the background.  It has lost what it originally was meant to be.  Hears hoping it get's back to that as alph and beta progress.

EDIT:  Just to throw this out there.  The first person that I experienced in the standalone tried to axe me to death.  He didn't stop and ask me for beans, or soda, or perhaps some bandages...whcih I had.  He just immediately ran for me, swinging away.  I would have gladly given him some spare food and water.  Granted, I was in Cherno, so obviously I knew I could run into someone, especially at the fire station.  But still, there really was no reason for it.  I didn't have a gun or a backpack.  I killed them in self defense.  Their body vanished.  I'm not sure of the log out mechanics, perhaps they even took the pansy way out to save themselves.  At this point, it is what it is.  

A Zombie Deathmatch game with survival mechanics.

Edited by DAS1337