Sign in to follow this  
Imbalanxd

Containers working unintuitively

In my opinion, the containers are currently working in a manner opposite to how they should work. When I say "container", I am referring to ammo boxes, med-packs, and lock boxes.

So currently, these containers take up 4 slots and provide 6 slots. Straight up, that is pretty weird, but I suppose it is a "balancing mechanic" as most of the containers can only accommodate specific items. Ammo in the case of ammo boxes, medical supplies in the case of a med-pack.

However this is DayZ, and we don't take kindly to balancing mechanics in DayZ. My suggestion is that any item within a container is protected against the ordinary wear and tear that can occur while simply going about your every day business of running thousands of kilometres a day. I suppose you could also potentially provide additional protection against damage from bullets and melee weapons. However, a container should take up more space than it provides. This is just obvious logic, we aren't dealing with Santa's present sack here. 

• Like 1

I dont see how having less items on you by "fixing" containers will make the game better.

Edited by h3retic

I dont see how having less items on you by "fixing" containers will make the game better.

I don't see how having loose bullets instead of plain magazines does anything but complicate things.

Realism, however, can go a long way in creating a greater sense of immersion.

My biggest gripe with the current system came about when I found my first lockbox. I looked at it, read what it did, and found myself in a silly situation. I essentially had nothing worth putting in a lock box. The functionality was of no use to me. I had nothing that needed protecting. However, the lockbox magically gave me 2 additional inventory slots out of thin air. There was absolutely no reason not to take it. It was the obvious choice.

I don't like obvious choices in games, and I definitely don't like them in DayZ. I want to be rewarded or punished for my decisions. If I take a syringe out of a medpack to save space, and it gets badly damaged, then I will know I made the wrong choice.

There is a really big downside to boxes that i figured out just today.

When you get shot you gear gets damaged. I got shot in the legs, and my pants were ruined, in those pants was ammo box that was ruined, and in that ammo box i had 480 rounds of 5.56 that was now all ruined.

Same with the quickbar, to me the container looses some of its purpose when you still can bind the bandage to quickbar without opening the medkit to use it..
I agree and would be ok to make it at least equal slots in it to what it takes (4/4), protect the items from damage but you should have to upen the case/kit to use something from it.

ie.
select bandage from quickbar (its in the medkit)
character takes medkit in hand.
takes bandage in hand and drops medkit to the ground
use bandage.

After this you manually put the bandage back to the kit and take it with you.

why would anyone take a container if it didn't have any advantage might as well delete them from the game.

• Like 1

why would anyone take a container if it didn't have any advantage might as well delete them from the game.

OP suggests that the containers would provide additional protection from damage and decay. That would be their advantage.

I also agree that they should not give more inventory slots than they take. It makes no sense.

Why would i need anything protected? x.x almost everything in this game is easily replaceable by the time it goes to even worn 0/10 would not pick up your version of the container :(

How about that: Containers let you organize your items better and that's why they give "additional" space? You can put them tightly one next to another and avoid empty space loss, what often occurs when people pack their rucksacks in real life... ;)

OP suggests that the containers would provide additional protection from damage and decay. That would be their advantage.

I also agree that they should not give more inventory slots than they take. It makes no sense.

I think it's supposed to accommodate the issue of item size. How many morphines and epi-pens could you fit into a lock-box? Probably 10+ Same goes for a lot of things, you could fit 100's of batteries into your bag...

OP is generally right but I get the feeling that it's simply and issue of tweaking, which will hopefully come sooner or later. 

So, it makes sense to give more, and it makes sense to balance how much more you get. You only get 2 extra slots.

There is a really big downside to boxes that i figured out just today.

When you get shot you gear gets damaged. I got shot in the legs, and my pants were ruined, in those pants was ammo box that was ruined, and in that ammo box i had 480 rounds of 5.56 that was now all ruined.

How the f*** did you get 480 rounds in it? When it stores 300.. 

And as for the box thing. I think its good. Since it organizes inventory. And that i saves storage.If you have 300 bullets lose on a table or in your backpack. Take up more storage then if you organize them into a box doesnt it? And the box doesnt need to be bigger then the slots it can store. Neat and tidy saves the day

How the f*** did you get 480 rounds in it? When it stores 300.. 

Double mags are currently bugged and if emptied produce a 60 round stack. I was dicking around and seeing just how much ammo i could get from uncleared nw airfield, i got to about 620~ish and half way through the area before there was some other guy who tried to shoot me :(

-edit

Also it doens´t store 300, only 240 normaly as it´s 8 slot container and max stack size is 30 for 5.56, it does take 320 pistol round though.

Edited by Frostbyte_