Sign in to follow this  
phoboss

Server hopping is killing this game FAST

So yeah, basically title says it all. Been playing SA for about 45 hours and for me its not the bugs, or the potential hacker that kills DayZ, its the damn server hoppers. No matter where you go to get some military gear, there are server hoppers everywhere. They are killing this game and I think before anything else this needs to be addressed. Combat logging being the other big issue right now. Haven't had a single firefight without someone combat logging... 

I don't even get the point of server hopping. You hop for 30 minutes, then you're fully geared, and then what?! PvP to combat log everytime you don't have the upper hand? Get killed and repeat?!

I get the whole being in alpha stage right now, but this is really taking the fun out of the game, and in my opinion needs to be the next big todo on the list, not implementing hunting or cooking, fixing zombies or anything. Server hopping is the biggest issue at hand at the moment. 

Just my 2 cents

• Like 21

Server hopping is a direct spawn of the loot system and how it currently works.

The loot system needs to be fixed and rebalanced to eliminate ghosting and server hopping.

• Like 3

So yeah, basically title says it all. Been playing SA

You mean you've been testing the alpha. Big difference. Hopping will be fixed. Can we stop getting a new thread posted about it every five minutes?

And no, loot has nothing to do with server hopping. Changing the loot system won't address combat logging OR ghosting. The best way to deal with a problem is at it's source, not by accommodating weak players who don't have the basic common sense to find gear. It's everywhere.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 3

Basically

The loot system needs to be fixed and rebalanced to eliminate ghosting and server hopping.

this basically if you cant find a server that hasn't restarted recently (under an hour) almost everything is gone.

Yes.

This is a well known problem...

I believe the Dev's are addressing the hacking as 1st Priority atm for it is a potential game breaker. ;)

• Like 2

Can we stop getting a new thread posted about it every five minutes?

No, because thats the only way of getting the message to the dev team that this is a big issue. And yes, been testing the alpha, and in those tests I found a big flaw that needs to be addressed. 

Yes of course the lack of loot respawning is the root of the problem, but even if it does respawn, it wont stop people from logging in and out inside the barracks somewhere on 10 different servers.

Edited by phoboss
  • Like 3

You know, if you guys would stop posting thirty thousand threads about server hopping, the problem would get slightly better.

It's known, all you do by making another thread is spread the practice to newer players who haven't considered doing it.

No, because thats the only way of getting the message to the dev team that this is a big issue. And yes, been testing the alpha, and in those tests I found a big flaw that needs to be addressed. 

Have you tried looking at the bug tracker, which is specifically designed for reporting issues? The team is already aware of the problem, Dean has already confirmed they will be addressing it, so stop wasting your breath. We all know - server hopping happens. You aren't the first person to point this out.

• Like 2

DayZ is dying within a week of release. Alert the press!

The loot spawn system is fine. I always happen upon entire towns untouched. I once walked into Zelenogorsk and the only thing touched were the barracks and a couple of houses, the rest was left unmolested full of loot.

People server hopped when you could loot cycle and they will again. Prevent server hopping and people will still find loot, they just have to actually venture out.

• Like 3

Stop arguing the case for loot!

Server hopping existed on dayzmod, and the loot spawned differently then.

Just make persistent characters for every server, its as simple as that.

If that can't be done, then make a 15minute timer for every time you join a different server. Encouraging you to play on the same one.

I don't give a shit if the server crashes, you can afford to wait 15mins of your life.

• Like 2

Yes of course the lack of loot respawning is the root of the problem, but even if it does respawn, it wont stop people from logging in and out inside the barracks somewhere on 10 different servers.

it will make server hopping even more profitable

they do need to deal with server hopping directly

• Like 3

They should just host proper servers and then have a character be bound to said server, similiar to how it works in for example World of Warcraft.

Would solve many problems fast.

At the moment people server hop because it is impossible to get good loot fast when there is so many others who have passed through said town. This will mostly be stopped when loot respawns.

I do this myself to a minor extent. I go on a low player server, get some good stuff then go on a large server. Never will hop from low player server to low player server to avoid players/zombies or farm one military loot spawn ect.

Edited by Shenanigans

Making characters server dependent would remove a huge feature from DayZ. Being able to join any server and keep your progress comes with its problems, but I think it's worth fighting for.

• Like 1

At the moment people server op because it is imposible to get good loot fast when there is so many others who have passed through said town. This will mostly be stopped when loot respawns.

I do this myself to a minor extent. I go on a low player server, get some good stuff then go on a large server. Never will hop from low player server to low player server to avoid players/zombies or farm one military loot spawn ect.

Basically people server hop because people server hop. If people had to venture out, then there would still be loot to be had you just might not want to waste time at the obvious spots.

At the moment people server op because it is imposible to get good loot fast when there is so many others who have passed through said town. This will mostly be stopped when loot respawns.

People server hop because they think they know what the game should be, and when its not that, they try to make it that. If they think loot should respawn, they'll justify their server hopping by that, if they think server hopping should be blocked and it's not, they'll justify server hopping by that.

Basically, people just don't want to run the maze they've been put into. If there's an easy way out, they'll take it, even if that's technically cheating.

• Like 4

Making characters server dependent would remove a huge feature from DayZ. Being able to join any server and keep your progress comes with its problems, but I think it's worth fighting for.

I'd like to have a mix of it, personally. Allow me to choose if I want to have my character tied to a server like everyone else on that specific server. But equally have other servers where I can just jump around.

You mean you've been testing the alpha. Big difference. Hopping will be fixed. Can we stop getting a new thread posted about it every five minutes?

Honestly I think the devs need to see how massive a problem server hopping is, so I think it's important that people do talk about it.

This along with combat logging are both destroying the game before it's even started. I'm sure it will get fixed, I have faith in the dev team... But how can the devs fix something if they aren't aware that it's a problem?

• Like 4

They should just host proper servers and then have a character be bound to said server, similiar to how it works in for example World of Warcraft.

Would solve many problems fast.

what do you do if the server is full?

So yeah, basically title says it all. Been playing SA for about 45 hours and for me its not the bugs, or the potential hacker that kills DayZ, its the damn server hoppers. No matter where you go to get some military gear, there are server hoppers everywhere. They are killing this game and I think before anything else this needs to be addressed. Combat logging being the other big issue right now. Haven't had a single firefight without someone combat logging... 

I don't even get the point of server hopping. You hop for 30 minutes, then you're fully geared, and then what?! PvP to combat log everytime you don't have the upper hand? Get killed and repeat?!

I get the whole being in alpha stage right now, but this is really taking the fun out of the game, and in my opinion needs to be the next big todo on the list, not implementing hunting or cooking, fixing zombies or anything. Server hopping is the biggest issue at hand at the moment. 

Just my 2 cents

Yeah, loot tables, limited loot and loot not respawning properly unless the server restarts is one thing causing people to hop. 

Once we have private server hives for SA if you're worried about hoppers you can join a private hive and problem solved.

Once we have private server hives for SA if you're worried about hoppers you can join a private hive and problem solved.

That's like moving to the back woods of Alaska to get away from burglars.

• Like 1

How about putting sawed off and double barreled shotguns into countryside homes so that us non-ganged up noobs can have a chance in defending our stuff from bandits?