Sign in to follow this  
GanjaPalooza

Quick Guide to Proper Diet Management!

Overview:

So you played that cool mod for a while and have not yet grasped the way the eating/drinking mechanics work in the standalone; or maybe you are a first timer and have no clue as to why your survivor is always complaining about hunger and thirst!  Anyone who is not familiar with how to keep your survivor well hydrated and well fed in DayZ SA will quickly find themselves in a world of trouble, this quick guide should fill you with the knowledge you need.

Basic Mechanics

**IMPORTANT** When you spawn in a new character your thirst level is already close to a dangerous DRINK level (food level is probably lowish too but does not become an issue nearly as fast).  This makes it key to find a water source ASAP and hopefully a container to fill as well.  You will notice a "Thirst" and eventually a "Hunger" icon next to your player in the inventory screen ranging from a healthy green to a deadly red along with messages popping up in the bottom left hand corner of your screen, they tend to be obvious statements about your survivor being hungry and/or thirsty; they will progressively get 'worse' and will make it clear when it's time for some food or a drink.  **IMPORTANT** When these disappear from your inventory screen, you ARE NOT completely satisfied! Instead, you are just over "the brink of starvation or dehydration"!  When these disappear you can basically assume that your food and thirst are quenched ONLY 25%-30% of the maximum capacity you can hold - so eat up!! Not until do you see a message that says something along the line of "I am stuffed" or "My stomach is very full" is your food and water fully satisfied.  **IMPORTANT** A survivor that has fully satisfied thirst and hunger levels can go several hours without fully having to eat again!  Note that this is far different from the mechanics in the mod, no longer will one article of food completely fill you up.

Important Things to Know

- Do not hold food items in your inventory if you are not "Completely Satisfied"! You need as much inventory space as possible! Also, I cannot personally confirm this, but it seems that you get health/blood benefits (i.e. blood regen) when your character has fully satisfied thirst and hunger!  So make sure you are eating everything you have until you get a full message.  This is NOT like the mod where you are wasting supplies if you continue eating or drinking after your first helping!!

- Think as your stomach as a "Food Storage" and wanting to keep that 100% full at all times possible.

- Don't overfill yourself!! It is said this can lead to becoming sick and vomiting!!

- Find something to open cans!!! Most 'sharp' objects will do so, use your brain! (i.e. screwdriver, axe, cooking knife, can opener etc.) Note Some items will cause you to lose some of the food content in the cans.

- Some foods/drinks fill both your hunger and thirst! (i.e. Tuna gives some bonus to thirst, soft drinks will quench thirst and hunger etc.)

- Some food will detract from thirst (i.e. powdered milk makes you more thirsty along with rice)

- Drink from those 'water pumps' until your guy says he is full!!!!!!!!

- To fill a canteen or water bottle : Equip the item in your hand then interact with the water pump - "Fill Container" should come up.

- You CAN fill from the ponds, just get about waist deep and looks around - the interaction menu is picky

- I cannot confirm that getting in the water will lose any gear, but I have heard people saying it might. Just be careful

- From my experiences, cooking does NOT work as of now.

- As far as I am concerned, Purifying Tablets for water have no outcome - I have yet to become sick or anything from drinking water from anywhere. Also note that no message comes up when you interact the tablets with water - and no change to the water's description occurs.

This should help get you on your feet and I will add/edit accordingly!  Leave any feedback or input! Thanks!

Edited by GanjaPalooza
  • Like 1

Powdered milk and rice are your best friend.

EDIT: Overfilling yourself will lead to vomiting, and a temporary sickness.

Edited by Statik

hmm, i'll try eating until stuffed next time i hop on. Didnt think it made a diff once the icon was gone from the inventory menu.

i do feel rather strange stuffin all the food i find into my mouth. The guy gets hungry quite often so pretyt much all food goes into my mouth untill i see a "you stomach feels completely full!".... eating simulator 2013?

Is this message working after the last patch ?

Yes.  I can confirm this since about 3:00 am EST this morning :)

i do feel rather strange stuffin all the food i find into my mouth. The guy gets hungry quite often so pretyt much all food goes into my mouth untill i see a "you stomach feels completely full!".... eating simulator 2013?

I am not sure if you were asking a question here but basically yes; and not to "eating simulator".  If this was an eating sim we would all probably have overweight survivors if they stayed alive long enough. :)

Eat everything you find until you are full!  Once you finally reach that state we have gone about 2 hours until we had to eat another full meal - if you eat along the way it can prolong it even more.

hmm, i'll try eating until stuffed next time i hop on. Didnt think it made a diff once the icon was gone from the inventory menu.

Oh yes!  I am guessing you probably have to eat a bite of food every 5-30min, depending on how much you eat.  This is my experience: we ate about a full can to make the green "Hunger" icon disappear - ate 4 cans of beans EACH after this and drank almost a full canteen.  At this point we still hadn't even reached the "I feel stuffed" message so we went ahead and stopped because we weren't sure if it was still there.  We didn't have to eat for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours (NOTE we were drinking along the way to keep thirst up at all times).  It was not until last night when I spammed a water pump for about 20-30 drink sessions, it was then I finally saw "You stomach is full".

Edited by GanjaPalooza