Sign in to follow this  
Hunter501st

Going to buy DayZ and need noob tips

Hi, im a new player to the world of Dayz and I need tips.
Im going to get a new computer for Christmas and im also going to buy DayZ. Since DayZ has been out for a while and im going to be a noob and will probably get KOS'd all the the time I would like tips from experienced DayZ gamers in this Forum.

Thank you for your help and cooperation :)

I will give you the same advice i give alot of new players. Soon as you get into the game head north. Put the ocean at your back and run. The shoreline is a good way to get killed and the loot is quite limited if you are not sure of what you are doing. The small villages in the north tend to be untouched and can give you some decent starting gear. Another good thing to remember is to stay hidden and constantly scan your surroundings. It is a fairly overwhelming game for new players but i have faith in you. Congratulations on getting a new rig and welcome to the DayZ community.

• Like 2

I will give you the same advice i give alot of new players. Soon as you get into the game head north. Put the ocean at your back and run. The shoreline is a good way to get killed and the loot is quite limited if you are not sure of what you are doing. The small villages in the north tend to be untouched and can give you some decent starting gear. Another good thing to remember is to stay hidden and constantly scan your surroundings. It is a fairly overwhelming game for new players but i have faith in you. Congratulations on getting a new rig and welcome to the DayZ community.

I would ignore this advise that people like to give new players. If you dont know where you are going when you head north you will end up finding nothing certainly not weapons, what you need to do is follow the coast all the way west until you come to a military base, there you can get your first weapon and a real feel for the game.

Good luck.

I would ignore this advise that people like to give new players. If you dont know where you are going when you head north you will end up finding nothing certainly not weapons, what you need to do is follow the coast all the way west until you come to a military base, there you can get your first weapon and a real feel for the game.

Good luck.

He will need the luck if he heads there as a new player but to each his own.

best advise is to team up with some one and not to run alone.

gameplay wise, advising anything to u will be mean spoiling the fun 

He will need the luck if he heads there as a new player but to each his own.

Yes but that is where he will learn, not running through a forest for two hours no t knowing where to go and thiinking like i did, well this is shit, while all the vets are having fun west.

You all know west is where its at so why when new players ask does everyone say run north into the middle of nowhere, its as if you try and put new players off.

If you want spaggheti and beans head north, if you want guns and fun head west along the coast. When the loot is sorted north might be a viable option but if you dont know where you are going you will find nothing up north and everyone on here know it. As was said before try and find someone to team up with to increase you chances at surviving.

Don't go for weapons right away. Learn the map, learn where to find loot and try to survive. Worry about guns and shooting people later. You need to walk before you can run.

The one thing I noticed is when a new player asks what to do, the experianced player tells them a watered down version of what they do, and that won't work. Running north helps when you know what you're looking for and if you know the map decently. If you don't, you'll be running for hours and simply get lost. The best thing to do would be to run along the coast and try to make friends. Most will shoot you, yes, but then you know the bandit/survivor ratio well enough.

• Like 1

The one thing I noticed is when a new player asks what to do, the experianced player tells them a watered down version of what they do, and that won't work. Running north helps when you know what you're looking for and if you know the map decently. If you don't, you'll be running for hours and simply get lost. The best thing to do would be to run along the coast and try to make friends. Most will shoot you, yes, but then you know the bandit/survivor ratio well enough.

Thanks, this is what i am trying to say, i just don't get some of the people on this forum, you will not learn the game by running into the wilderness and they all know it.

Be prepared to die...a lot. Your first two or three characters are going to be learning the controls and the lay of the land.

Listen to your surroundings...even someone who is sneaking real slow makes some noise

Be patient and watch. When you get to a town, take a minute to watch the roads. See if anyone is running from house to house, or if there are any zombies moving about.

Remember that this is still an alpha (i'm assuming your get SA), so when some bug or glitch gets you stuck somewhere, or gets you killed, know that you signed up for that and try not to get upset.

Most importantly, have fun! The game is what you make of it! Best of luck!

Go north, look for basic supplies (clothing, storage, food, drink) before looting weapons, once you have valuable gear never approach anyone who you don't have at gunpoint, avoid or KOS anybody with a gun drawn (as opposed to on their back, since they will be able to quickly turn and shoot if you confront them), if you want to be super safe avoid/KOS everyone, and, above all, do not get attached to your gear. You will die and lose it in ridiculous and unpredictable ways, scream and throw shit around your house, and then break down in tears. You need to be playing DayZ for the survival feeling, not because you want to acquire a lot of stuff (since you will inevitably lose it all... repeatedly).

(Eww, shitty grammar. Sent from AMTRAK)

Edited by ClassyPenguin