Sign in to follow this  
thefairy

Ghosting / Hopping Solution

Firstly all log outs should incur a 45 second cool down, so to log off go hide somewhere and you will be able to leave safely, combat log and you really risk getting killed.  If your machine crashes in the wrong place then tough.

When you try and log back in and you are in a town/city/high loot area the picture below shows a simple way to control it.  If you log off in the red area when you respawn it will be randomly along the green line on the outside of the blue area.

dayz_respawn_zpsc9636918.png

• Like 1

Not a bad idea but i think it should be like DayZ origins where you start dancing when you log off, and if you log off in the red area you get randomly spawned back at the coast just like what happens when you log off at sector b.

No. If I log off and want to join a different server why should I be punished for that.

Because thats exactly what people are doing to farm loot?  Hows it a punishment, if you mean the 30 seconds to run back into the red area then you must live a fairly cushy life if thats a punishment?

I've seen a few of us move in on a spawn area, case it out to make sure no one is there, move in to spawn and some muppet spawns in behind you and shoots you in the back.  Some skill and cunning there allright.......

Oh man.... a ghosting topic....right above....another ghosting topic...lol. This will get sorted but I think its too early to think bout things like this.....we aint even got loot and zed respawns up yet. )

Im not a fan of  moving the player on server switch though.

I ask the question WHY are people changing server. Its down to a few things

*A combat log

*Hopping for loot

*It crashes

All of which should be answered with so fucking what and make them have 15minutes until they can join another server.

Still doesnt answer the being shot in the back by someone hopping problem?

*A combat log

*Hopping for loot

*It crashes

All of which should be answered with so fucking what and make them have 15minutes until they can join another server.

Server starts lagging

There is a suspected hacker on the server

You want to play with a non-local friend and you must re-join a server to which both of you have good ping (actually a case for me when playing with Russian friends)

Edited by ZlobaRUS54

I think the best compromise is to just allow folks to switch servers, but have them reset position to the coast every time they do. It makes server swapping an action with risk/consequence whilst not marginalizing people who enjoy the flexibility/convenience of being able to swap servers (which may not be active/updated/etc.)

• Like 1

Server starts lagging

There is a suspected hacker on the server

You want to play with a non-local friend and you must re-join a server to which both of you have good ping (actually a case for me when playing with Russian friends)

+1

There is a ton of legit reasons why you'd want to exit the game and join another server.

• Like 1

Each server one character, many problems solved.

When this is not possible... than...

You need to wait 10 min for each server change.

Your hunger, thirst and health reduced 50%. (disabled when the server is full you last joined)

Edited by NoCheats

There is no need to discuss this. The dev-team already has pretty definitive ideas for this. This isn't really a new issue after all.

In the future it will work like in MMO's. You want to log out ? You will have to deal with a 15 seconds (or something along the line) timer before you'll actually be logged off. While waiting for the countdown to end you can't do anything at all. If you alt+f4, crash or something similar your character will stay in game for 15 (or whatever it'll be defined as) seconds, even if you don't control the character/are in-game.

Server hopping will be fixed by exponentially adding waiting-time each time you join a new server. First time you hop it'll be something like 30 seconds, then 2 minutes, 6 minutes, and so on.

Can't wait for all that to be implemented.

Edited by gouki

and 15minutes is too much for you to wait?

A 10 minute delay I can live with, I think Rocket mentioned having a progressive timer already implemented but currently disabled, this will help with ghosting, not so much with loot farming.

• Like 1

The time lag does not address the spawning in behind someone in a high value loot location though!  You should spawn a radius away from it again, giving anyone in the loot area at least a chance to see you coming.

Timers do not fix the problem, it merely makes it longer. I can still swap a pile of loot, it just takes me 5 minutes while I go make myself a sandwich. I can still spawn inside a player structure through swapping, it just takes me ten minutes while I wait for the occupying player(s) to log out.

Tangibly relocating the player and/or adding risk to server swapping is what needs to happen. I'd much rather have the characters locked to the server, but that is problematic for several reasons.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

It seems like a simple fix: 

Closing your game to escape death = 2 minutes ingame unable to move until you safely log out. Taking damage ends the countdown resulting in a restart of countdown when safe, forcibly exiting your game keeps your character ingame to receive damage until the timer is done. 

Logging out to switch servers = Being reset to beach if switch to a different server in a half hour time period. (You can log out and in into the same server as much as you want without being penalized) If you want to switch to a different server you must wait 30 minutes from the time you log out of the last server you were in to avoid being reset to the beach. (Only location reset, not character)

• Like 2

*A combat log

*Hopping for loot

*It crashes

Actually, since we're alpha right now I've done some hopping just to test loot spawns, not military/barracks loot but stuff like deer stands that don't seem to be spawning loot like they did in the mod, at least not the ones I tested. And I mean no loot at all. So I think there is at least some test value in hopping right now.

Once private hives are available, loot respawns correctly (doesn't seem to at all right now), tents/camps are introduced, etc. then there will be more incentive for server loyalty.

Right now a lot of people are just screwing around and get this...some people are actually god forbid, testing the game and providing feedback.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

Ghosting was prevalent in the mod as well, its not giving feedback its abusing a mechanism in the game tbh!