lowerplains

goodbye side chat...i shall miss thee...

yep' date=' taking away side chat was misguided. a minority of players do not like side chat, so side chat is removed.

[/quote']

just for the record, side chat was removed because rocket planned to get rid of it all along. The only reason it was enabled initially is because direct chat was bugged. Now that everybodies on beta, no more need for side chat. Not because the dev team caved to player demand, or whatever it is you think.

I loved the direct chat, but it had to be removed.

The radio idea is not bad, doesnt have to be that rare, and if not carried on you, it would broadcast the chat\voice like a direct chat, that would be awesome. and imagine being able to switch it to music mode, and it would attract zeds, radio must be implemented sooner or later, probably will be, so dont worry folks.

i understand rocket's reasoning to rid of us side chat...it is after all' date=' an apocalypse simulator. but couldnt this be just a server option instead?

...i LONG for the chaotic and wild chat i used to read while playing this game.

"hey. HEY IF YOU DONT SAY FRIENDLY IM SHOOTING"

lol cmon rocket, that chat was fucking GOLD. it was probaly the MOST entertaining chat EVER in video game history. go and read any other game's chat logs and youll hear stats...character builds...more stats, some funny jokes etc and its all good in the hood...

....then go read day-z chat logs...youll laugh your ass straight the fuck off.

in this game, nobody had the time to complain much about game mechanics, oh sure it was there...but it was smothered under a heap of paranoid rants.

"whos the guy lighting flares in cherno"

"hi everyone, i dont know where im at"

"zombie behind you, actually 4 of em.""

"DID YOU REALLY WANT MY MAK AMMO THAT BAD DUDE??"

have mercy rocket...bring it back.

[/quote']

I'm all for removing it tbh but I've seen plenty of servers still using side chat in the latest updates, had assumed it was a server option, you can still yell to someone up-to 80m away with direct comms, so why not just use that?

The game shouldnt have a chat room, it goes against everything that the mod is trying to simulate, isolation, paranoia, loneliness etc

No side chat.

Get a mic and use direct chat. It works great and adds to the immersion. And you don't have to be right on top of someone to hear them. 80m in game is pretty far.

I don't understand how people think getting rid of side chat makes it harder to group up with people. When someone types "friendly" in the side chat it could be 49 other players on a 225km sq map. And saying "friendly at the school electro" just gives away the other players position so a non friendly's can come kill him. With direct chat you know the person is talking to you or is at least close to you.

I think most pro side chat people just want to talk shit while they play deathmatch at the coast.

The game needs a shout function imo. Whats the range of direct chat' date=' 20m?

[/quote']

My range finder shows exactly 47m. At 48m there's completely no voice no matter how hard you scream into your mic. We tested it out today as I fixed my mic related issue. It's quite nice distance. Obviously sniper will not be able to communicate but that range is almost as long as a hangar I believe (eye measurement).

This is useless unless you're sitting face to face with your target. So you're at the distance point where rules change to "FasterTriggerWins" instead of "Friendly or headshoot"?

80m in game is pretty far.

It's not 80 unless my range finder is wrong. However I like this piece of EQ due to built in NV and range measurement for pointed target.

And no, there shouldn't be side chat how it was before. There should be radio item that would allow you to talk with people within 1000 or 5000m (or 2 radios one civilian with shorter range and another military with long range and huge antena :D)

But.. But.. Its fun to read in blue letters, "You fuckin low life loser, why do you kill me I am friendly"

and I never even pulled the trigger, infact I'm in the middle of nowhere cooking meat on a campfire haha

Side chat added a fun value to the game, games have to have various elements to make them successful, I thought side chat enhanced DayZ in regards of comedy, especially in such treacherous times. It was nice to take a breather from the action from time to time and read and help out with some noobie questions too.

i think it should come back too.i know some servers still have it and i LOVE it.... it adds something fun to do while i walk through a desolate forest... i think it should at least just be an option.

They should just make it server depended. Hardcore wanna be will play on HC servers, normal people on server with side chat. Case closed